PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting to MSG duty, is it possible?

Bebe14
02-27-11, 04:28 PM
I know my husband needs to talk to his career planner, but I just want to have an idea about it. He is very busy right now in recruiting, sometimes he doesn't really have time for himself. You're input will be very helpful. Thank you so much for reading this. I appreciate your informative response.

Tennessee Top
02-27-11, 08:49 PM
Both recruiting and MSG are "B" billets (outside his MOS). Drill Instructor duty is also a "B" billet. "B" billets are important for promotion/career opportunities as they demonstrate the ability to perform outside of your job specialty and, in most cases, without direct supervision. However, spending too much time away from your primary MOS can also damage a career because you're losing experience/training time.

Monitors at Headquarters, Marine Corps decide what assignments a Marine will have during their career. Basically, your husband's regular monitor has loaned him to the Special Assignments Monitor for his tour as a recruiter. That regular monitor is going to want your husband back in his MOS field so he can send him to a unit that needs his expertise. Remember, there are other Marines working in your husband's MOS who also want their shot at a "B" billet; the longer your husband stays out there, the less opportunity somebody else has. So, although it is rare to be assigned to back-to-back "B" billets it does happen. As you know by now, it would boil down to the "needs of the Marine Corps".

As a personal example...I had orders to Recruiting School coming off my tour as a MSG Detachment Commander but, the Commanding Officer of the MSG battalion wanted me back at the MSG School in Quantico and had my orders changed (after two years at the school, my regular monitor sent my butt back to Okinawa and the Fleet Marine Force, Pacific working in my MOS again).

Yes, your husband will need to talk to his career planner and the sooner the better as I'm sure his MOS monitor already has plans for him. There is a MSG checklist involved and he must be recommended by his Commanding Officer.

You did not indicate but I assume your husband is a Staff NCO since he is a recruiter? Only ask because sergeants and below cannot be married to be eligible.

I was a single Detachment Commander. Never been a Recruiter so can't compare the hours involved. I can say I spent a lot of time either at the embassy during normal business hours or with my Marines at their BEQ (bachelor enlisted quarters also called the "Marine House"), guard school, PT, diplomatic functions/receptions, etc. MSG duty is very rewarding and demanding (it's the only assignment in the USMC where an enlisted Marine has all the responsibilities of command except NJP authority).

Good luck to you and your husband and I hope things work out. Just remember, if his monitor won't allow him to remain outside his MOS, he could always apply for MSG duty later in his career. This would also give him more time to work on his leadership abilities which is one thing that is stressed/evaluated at MSG school.

Sgt Leprechaun
03-04-11, 07:29 PM
Closed until profile further completed.