PDA

View Full Version : Are Recon Marines Sniper trained?

D BOUJI
02-26-11, 11:36 PM
ok hello all. im currently in the process of picking my mos and was looking for some information. first off are Recon Marines Sniper trained as well as trained in close combat? second, are Recon Marines considered sf? thanks for any replies, God Bless

Wyoming
02-27-11, 05:17 AM
... another video gaming, super squirrel, wannabee.

What type of device are you texting from?

What has your recruiter had to say??

Lisa 23
02-27-11, 08:21 AM
Try doing a search on the site. This topic has been covered many times before.

hussaf
02-27-11, 08:31 AM
SF is an Army unit/MOS.

Recon Marines are conventional forces used to move ahead of Division's main body to conduct R & S for main force movement...they are also utilized in other "here and there" missions that are basically up to the BC of that unit and CO of that RCT (human terrain mapping, identifying key physical terrain features, hunting bomb makers, diversions...anything to help the main effort etc).

Sniper and Recon are two seperate MOS's, though some Recon Marines can go to sniper school.

All Marines do MCMAP, which is not by any means special. Realistically, each BN, Co., platoon, or squad/team can take MCMAP training as seriously as they want...and train as they see fit as long as they meet the minimum standard set by HQMC (or whoever). Typically there are way more important aspects of training than MCMAP and its usually done because of its PT value, not combat value. Currently I am in AFG and we are being engaged by SAF not much closer than a few hundred meters...mostly we are getting blown up by things we can't see...often a double amp if the bombmaker knows what he's doing, which we just had a few days ago. Its not sexy being an Urgent Surgical CASEVAC. Please consider carefully before joining the military, or at least a job in the military where one leaves the FOB.

Tennessee Top
02-27-11, 09:37 AM
hussaf,

Good info but a wannabe is not going to understand all your acronyms (may as well be speaking a foreign language); there's a couple in there I don't get myself.

D BOUJI
02-27-11, 01:12 PM
thank you hussaf. my recruiter said he wasnt sure about this and to post it on here. thanks for you answer.