PDA

View Full Version : JAG officer and OCS questions

Animal89
02-05-11, 07:16 PM
Hello,
This is my first post, and I was hoping to get a little information on the judge advocates program and OCS. I am currently up for selection for OCS, and I was told some bad news today, that I would not be able to qualify for any type of infantry/ ground combat position due to my colorblindness. So instead of quitting, ive decided to take another route, and persue my future in law. I am currently a criminal justice student, and plan on going to law school in the near future. I was told that the judge advocate/ law field in the Marine Corps was an option, and I immediately became interested. My question is if there is anybody who can give me any type of advise about becoming a JAG officer in the Marine Corps, such as deployment, job descriptions, details and pretty much what is involved. I spoke to my selection officer, and he gave me some good advise, but I also wanted to get personal opinions from others. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Phantom Blooper
02-05-11, 07:24 PM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=22209

PM this Captain he is a JAG officer and maybe albe to answer your questions.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=43579

Also this Marine was an Air Force JAG Captain he maybe able to give some insight.

03Mike
02-05-11, 07:25 PM
A PLC-Law contract is different from a PLC-Ground or PLC-Aviation contract. The primary difference is that you may be commissioned after college graduation and attend law school prior to going to TBS (The Basic School). We had a couple of first lieutenants in our TBS class who were lawyers.

As a JAG officer you go through the same TBS as every other Marine Officer - so you'll learn the basics of being an infantry platoon leader.

Duties for a JAG are varied - from being assigned as a prosecutor or defense attorney to being assigned to an operational staff (Division, MEU, MEB, or other MAGTF). If assigned to an operational staff, you will be the designated legal advisor to the commander (keeping his, and the unit's, butt out of trouble). You'll get enough training at the JAG school (which you attend after TBS and prior to assignment to the Fleet Marine Force) to be able to handle those duties.

Not sure what else to tell you - duties are varied but they will all pertain to the legal fields - the Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) and the Law of Land Warfare.

USNAviator
02-05-11, 08:51 PM
Both of these gentleman have given you outstanding advice. This is out of my area of expertise. Now if you wanted to go Navy/Marine Air.....lol

Seriously, you can serve without being a ground officer. It's the service that counts. Let me ask you, how many in your class are considering any service to our country? If it's more than 1% I'd be shocked.

Do what you feel is best for you and our country. You can't see it now but when there are parades in your home town, you'll be one of the few who raises to his feet and snaps off a salute when the colors pass by. You'll have earned it

Good luck to you

Animal89
02-05-11, 09:01 PM
Thank you all for the responses, they were all very helpful, and were exactly what I was looking for. I have to admit that finding out being colorblind DQ'd me from a lot of MOS's really bummed me out, cause its always been my dream to be a Marine. On the other hand, getting any oppurtunity to serve the Marine Corps will make me proud. Oh and in response to USNAvaitor, im pretty sure you are right and it is less than 1% are in the service, and even a smaller percent are serving in the Marine Corps.

USNAviator
02-05-11, 10:08 PM
Dave as a field grade officer I was required to sit for some Capt' Mast and the occasional summary court. Thank God I never had to serve on a general court <br />
<br />
I take my cover off to all of you who...

Animal89
02-06-11, 01:15 AM
Wow, that was an amazing response, exactly what I was searching for. Thanks for going into detail with all of the information, from the sound of your description Marine Corps law is in a league of...

Sgt Leprechaun
02-06-11, 02:49 AM
Asked, answered! It's what we do :)