PDA

View Full Version : Owe 1500 on credit cards..can I join?

G1Ortuno
01-26-11, 04:55 PM
i owe like 1500 on credit cards that i never paid off due to being unemployed. late fees just strated to build up and it was impossible to keep up. well my question is. will this cause any problems for me to join? thanks

0351 Corporal
01-26-11, 05:22 PM
Couple things:

1. What type of clearance are you trying to obtain?
2. Even though financials are looked at, they are not used to determine security clearance decisions.
3. As long as you are truthfull with them, and do not omit anything, you will probably get the clearance...providing you don't have any felonies or legal convictions.

G1Ortuno
01-26-11, 06:23 PM
well its the national securtity clearance. the recruiter gave me alot of papers to fill out. i belive its the lowest one

haebyungdae
01-27-11, 01:49 AM
Well all security clearances are given out for the purpose of national security. But yeah, no matter what level clearance you are going for, like 0351 Cpl said, they look at your finances, but 1500 won't have any impact on you getting one. If you had tens of thousands of dollars that would make a difference, or if while in the service you gained a crap ton of money without reason, then they would take a second look at it.

Try to pay off anything you can, if you can, be truthful and you should be just fine. Constantly talk with your recruiter, he should have all the answers for you.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-27-11, 02:23 AM
I think he means the "National Agency Check" (NAC) paperwork.

Start paying off the money...NOW. The sooner you do...the sooner it's gone. It's not the end of the world by any means, there are people far further in debt than you.

afraziaaaa
01-27-11, 10:43 AM
You have nothing to worry about, unless you want a program that requires a security clearance. Talk to your recruiter about it. They are the best source of information.