PDA

View Full Version : Question about open contract.

DSCorum
12-08-10, 12:38 PM
Hello Marines. First let me thank you all for your service to our country. Our debt to you is endless. <br />
<br />
My situation is this: <br />
I depped in May, and I leave for PI in March. My asvab is 66 and my...

SGT7477
12-08-10, 03:33 PM
You could easily be put where our beloved Corps needs you, earn the title and whatever happens, happens, our title is well worth it, Good Luck, Semper Fidelis.

JGS2800
12-17-10, 08:25 PM
All you need to ask is whether a not the title marine means more to you than getting what you want. For me the answer was yes so I went open contract. More than likely you will get absolutely no say in what job you get. sometimes if your lucky they can wheel and deal, but that's more about timing than your PFT scores or asvab scores. I got a 95 on my ASVAB a 251 PFT and a 286 CFT and I got no say. But you know what? I'm a marine, and that's all that's important to me. If you feel the same way, don't worry about the open contract

DSCorum
12-19-10, 11:00 AM
Thank you for your advice, Marines. It is very much appreciated and taken strongly into consideration. I filed for open contract a few days ago, so we'll see where the adventure takes me.
:flag:

mmelend1
02-27-11, 05:29 PM
Hi Marines, I'm a bit confused by "open contract" as well, and was hoping somebody could clarify. I just took my ASVAB and medical examination a few days ago, and my recruiter has me scheduled to swear-in in 3 days. He mentioned something about open contract, but he said he would have me pick out 3 top choices of MOS fields to request in the 2 weeks, and said I'd probably get my top choice or at least one of the 3.
My AFQT was 98, my composite scores were all above 135, and I'm considering a few aircraft-type MOSs including crew chief. So if I'm swearing in on Wednesday and we haven't picked out my top choices, does that mean I'm signing an "open-contract" that day? Is there further signing of contracts after my swear-in date which would dictate my MOS?
I'll ask him about this as well, but I was hoping somebody here could clarify for me how contracts work.
Thanks for your time!

-Manny

mmelend1
02-27-11, 10:33 PM
Forgot to mention, I'm doing delayed entry with boot camp probably starting right after Christmas