PDA

View Full Version : Telling My Parents

Armstrongsbx
11-23-10, 09:02 PM
I have thought seriously about wanting to join the Marines right after high school, except I have the problem of telling my parents. It's not really my dad that's the problem, he might not completely agree with the decision but he is not as emotional as my mom. I've tried to have the conversation with my mom but she always gets extremely emotional, like starting to sob, etc. So the conversation always results in me just saying "fine, Ill go to college" because I can't stand her crying anymore (we are really close so it makes me really uncomfortable when she starts crying). She feels better about me going to college and then becoming an officer, but that's not what I want to do and I feel that I should do what I want to do, and not just go to college in spite of her. So any advice on what to do, or how to talk to my mom would be very helpful.

Thanks

Muhreen4Lyfe
11-26-10, 07:55 PM
Don't do anything for your parents, do it for yourself. They're not the ones who have to serve. Tell them it's what you want, the the decision did not come lightly. They can either support you and you can sign at 17 and be good to go, or do it when you turn 18.

Warcrazy
11-29-10, 12:44 PM
Tell her you're joining the Marine Corps every day until you sign the papers. She will eventually get desensitized to the fact and will become more open to the idea after ample thought.

The five stages of grief:

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

Ceckert85
11-29-10, 03:11 PM
Like warcrazy said you said to remind your mother everyday of the fact and make her believe it. some kids say it but never do it. once you sign the dotted line then reality kicks in my friend

dback13
11-29-10, 05:16 PM
Ok Elisabeth Kubler-Ross...

micarr57
11-29-10, 07:17 PM
think long and hard about your decision consider all the options and outcomes decide what you want to do in the corps and if you still wanna join tell your parents they'll eventually come around ... just remember thisain't your average hodown

sparkie
11-29-10, 07:52 PM
Time to grow a pair,,,,,,,,