PDA

View Full Version : Mortarman?

Yankeeloon200
11-07-10, 01:06 PM
Hello Marines,

Right now im currently in the process of picking a MOS with my recruiter. Im still deciding between Active Duty and Reserves. One of the MOS's available in the Reserves over here in NY is Mortarman. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this MOS or if anyone has any EXP on what their mission/responsibility is. All My recruiter can tell me is that their part of the infantry and their called "Tube Strokers" :p

I see it would be great to go to college while on the weekends training and getting deployed to do something that would be a great experience and to do something different then what you would do at college including it would probably be good a good release for my mind getting away from all the work/home things.

If anyone has any info please share with me thank you.

Zulu 36
11-07-10, 04:45 PM
Hello Marines,

Right now im currently in the process of picking a MOS with my recruiter. Im still deciding between Active Duty and Reserves. One of the MOS's available in the Reserves over here in NY is Mortarman. I was wondering if anyone had any info on this MOS or if anyone has any EXP on what their mission/responsibility is. All My recruiter can tell me is that their part of the infantry and their called "Tube Strokers" :p

I see it would be great to go to college while on the weekends training and getting deployed to do something that would be a great experience and to do something different then what you would do at college including it would probably be good a good release for my mind getting away from all the work/home things.

If anyone has any info please share with me thank you.

You can Google the topic and find a lot of info.

dback13
11-11-10, 08:35 PM
Mortarman (0341s) work with the M224 60mm and M252 81mm mortars. You can either be assigned as a part of weapons platoon in a line company or 81s platoon in wpns company. You will be trained on both in SOI, but will only work with one in the fleet. If you're in wpns plt your be part of the mortars section and use the 60. On the other hand, if you end up in wpns co, you'll be in 81s plt and shoot 81s. 60s are used in support of the company and 81s are in support of the battalion. 60s can be shot in conventional (with bipods and sight) or in handheld. 81s can only be shot in conventional. As a part of wpns plt you'll be split up by gun team and be placed with a line plt (1, 2 or 3). you'll partol with them and shoot fire missions for them if they need it. 41s in wpns plt are a lot more like 0311s with a mortar tube.