PDA

View Full Version : Does ASVAB score matter after you get your MOS?

Yankeeloon200
11-02-10, 03:04 PM
Hey Marines,

quick question i got something like a 60 on my ASVAB with a 104 GT score and i needed a 100 to qualify for intelligence.

I know i just barely qualified but i just wanted to know if after you pick your MOS and take the ASVAB and start going to your MOS school does your score matter? Or do they just care about how well you do in the class?

Thanks.

DontTreadOnMe
11-02-10, 04:53 PM
Only if you wish to make a lateral-move (change MOS's) or change your branch of service. Otherwise your ASVAB scores are nothing there but for a reference, but I wouldnt be suprised if it came down to you and another person for a promotion or reenlistment that they pick the Marine with the better scores, the corps is getting very competitive these days.

Kegler300
11-02-10, 05:24 PM
The scores may matter for a lateral move, but very doubtful the competition would be so keen for a promotion or reenlistment that they'd even consider looking at ASVAB scores. Off duty education, MCI courses, B-billets, combat tours, etc., give MMEA, the Career Planning Branch, and selection boards plenty to consider already.