PDA

View Full Version : SOI question

Hayes129
10-31-10, 07:57 PM
I am leaving for boot camp in January and my MOS is infantry. I wanted to know how I could get to use the SAW lmg and keep it as my primary after SOI. I have read that Marines that use the SAW are 0311 instead of 0331. Also I would like to know what it is like to use the SAW.

Thanks

josephd
10-31-10, 10:25 PM
you should get to use a SAW quite a bit after SOI, you will carry it as a primary weapon if you are an Automatic Rifleman within your fireteam.

Shooting a SAW or any fully automatic weapon is a good time IMO. I am sure if you end up being an 0331 or an Automatic Rifleman, shooting your weapon could get kind of old though. Especially considering that weapon you have to clean, maintain, carry and hump around, wait in line to turn it to the armory for hours on end, etc...

Hayes129
11-01-10, 07:24 AM
Is the Automatic Rifleman something you have to be assigned or can you sign up for it or volunteer for it.

03Mike
11-01-10, 08:32 AM
There are two philosophies on who carries the SAW in a rifle platoon.

One philosophy is that your most experienced Lance Corporal will carry it, because the automatic weapon is the backbone of the firepower in the fireteam and the squad. So you want someone who will be able to exercise fire discipline and not burn up all of the ammo in the first few minutes of a firefight. Well aimed bursts make all the difference - and a good automatic rifleman will make a difference, and the rest of the fireteam will be employed largely to enhance his effectiveness.

Another philosophy is that the SAW will be assigned to the newest guy since 1) it's heavy, especially after several miles, and 2) it can be a bullet magnet - bad guys will focus on taking out the automatic weapons first, since they can do the most damage. And if the automatic rifleman is firing off long bursts, it draws more fire.

You can definitely volunteer to carry the SAW. The decision is largely up to your fireteam leader and squad leader.

My advice, get through boot camp and SOI and get to the fleet and do whatever your fireteam leader and squad leader ask you to do. Chance are, before they let you carry the SAW you'll be carrying your rifle, SAW ammo, and perhaps the spare barrel for the SAW. They'll want to make sure that you dependable first - so fill the need that your team needs. Put the needs of your fireteam and your squad first, and you'll be fine. You'll end up carrying the SAW eventually.

Hayes129
11-01-10, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the answers guys good luck and be careful in the Marines.

CalahanD
11-01-10, 07:25 PM
A SAW is a light Machine Gun. I am an 0331, we dont use small Machine Guns. Only Medium and Heavy Machine Guns. The 240B, .50 cal, and the MK-19. You should look them up. Personally I dont like the SAW. I only know about my battalions SAW's and they freakin sucks. They always jam and never work too well. But with my 240b you can treat it like a b!tch. You can kick and beat it and it will always work good for, not saying you should. Plus the Mk-19 is freakin awesome. I dont think you can beat a fully automatic grenade launcher. Now dont think that just because you want be an 0311 you dont go out with them. I cary the 240B and my squad is attached to an 0311 platoon. So we go out with them and train with them and do everything with them, we are attached to them. If you want to shoot Machine Guns than I suggest that you go 0331. I love it but that is because I love Machine Guns

martinj
11-01-10, 10:42 PM
I've never had a problem with the SAW, i wish we could all carry them. SAWs and two SASRs for our team, that would be awesome.

Hayes129
11-02-10, 04:39 AM
A SAW is a light Machine Gun. I am an 0331, we dont use small Machine Guns. Only Medium and Heavy Machine Guns. The 240B, .50 cal, and the MK-19. You should look them up. Personally I dont like the SAW. I only know about my battalions SAW's and they freakin sucks. They always jam and never work too well. But with my 240b you can treat it like a b!tch. You can kick and beat it and it will always work good for, not saying you should. Plus the Mk-19 is freakin awesome. I dont think you can beat a fully automatic grenade launcher. Now dont think that just because you want be an 0311 you dont go out with them. I cary the 240B and my squad is attached to an 0311 platoon. So we go out with them and train with them and do everything with them, we are attached to them. If you want to shoot Machine Guns than I suggest that you go 0331. I love it but that is because I love Machine Guns
If I choose 0331 will I get to choose if I want to be on a mounted gun on a Humvee or on the ground because I dont want to get stuck on a Humvee or carrying the ammo boxes or bipod. I would rather be carrying the gun in the field.

josephd
11-02-10, 04:54 AM
If I choose 0331 will I get to choose if I want to be on a mounted gun on a Humvee or on the ground because I dont want to get stuck on a Humvee or carrying the ammo boxes or bipod. I would rather be carrying the gun in the field.

lmao!!...at SOI and training in the fleet you'll probably hump around the 240 and 50cal. but besides that you probably never do that. The 240 isn't too bad but trust me you do not want to be humpin around with the 50cal no matter what part you are carrying. The spare barrel alone weighs like 30lbs.

Also as a fresh boot PFC/Lance in the fleet you WILL get stuck doing the **** jobs like carrying all the ammo and what not. I am sure some of the others on here will tell you being a noob in the fleet is no picnic