PDA

View Full Version : Seeking Information from Marines.

Master Ninja
10-28-10, 01:58 AM
Hi Marines, My question is, would it be a good idea to enlist straight into Recon? Or should I get a couple years under My belt as a 0311? Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

Thank You!

josephd
10-28-10, 02:46 AM
Hi Marines, My question is, would it be a good idea to enlist straight into Recon? Or should I get a couple years under My belt as a 0311? Any advice would be gladly appreciated.

Thank You!

If you can get a Recon contract then take it, just because you get the contract doesn't automatically make you a Recon Marine. You still have to pass all the pre-reqs and then pass BRC.

Master Ninja
10-28-10, 12:41 PM
Okay that sounds good, I've just heard that 0311 is packed right now.

03Mike
10-28-10, 01:35 PM
Just from my personal point of view as an infantry officer - I think that it would be of benefit to have recon Marines out there who spent time with line grunts. It's a matter of perspective. As a recon Marine you are the eyes and ears of the Division commander - and having experienced grunts as the core of the recon teams, I think, would make the information and intelligence that they pass to the CG to be that much more effective.

Now, on the other hand, once you become a line grunt in an infantry battalion, there is no guarantee (and a great deal of competition) to get into recon. So from your point of view, if recon is what you want most of all - then the guaranteed contract may well be the way to go.

Master Ninja
10-29-10, 12:28 AM
Yea that's what I heard today that it's hard to transfer over now if You want to. I think I might just go for that, Thank you very much.

Marine3451
10-29-10, 01:00 PM
I have heard quite a few rumors about people saying you can enlist straight into recon but unless my facts are messed up you have to be at least a Cpl from any MOS and pass a very difficult screening process to be a MARSOC Critcal Skills Operator(Recon). Below is a link that list the requirements just to get screened by MARSOC. Hope it helps.

http://www.usmc.mil/unit/marsoc/Pages/recruiting/CSO-prereq.aspx

Master Ninja
10-29-10, 08:51 PM
It seems like MARSOC and Recon are two different things though? I'm not sure cause I have heard of Marines going straight into Recon training(Or the initial test go pass to go to Recon training). Correct me if I am wrong please. Thank You!

SGT7477
10-29-10, 08:57 PM
It seems like MARSOC and Recon are two different things though? I'm not sure cause I have heard of Marines going straight into Recon training(Or the initial test go pass to go to Recon training). Correct me if I am wrong please. Thank You!
The first step is to earn our beloved title of Marine.:evilgrin:

Master Ninja
10-29-10, 11:55 PM
That is the #1 goal right now SGT7477, Thanks for reminding Me of that.

Backhaus 1103, That's what My original plan was, But it seems as if 0311 is insanely full right now, It could be both ways for Recon and Grunt, I am not sure of that.

martinj
10-30-10, 04:01 AM
No recon and marsoc are seperate things. You can enlist straight into recon. Yes you should take the recon contract. And being a grunt before is not necessarily a good thing, we know what they need as far as reporting goes. There's no reason to be a grunt before going recon.

Master Ninja
10-30-10, 11:18 AM
That's what I thought, How do you like it martinj?