Do male Marines respect the female??
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Do male Marines respect the female??

Okay so I have been reading Band of Sisters and so far in the book there are 2 female Marines attatched to I think it was an infantry unit to search the females and children. So far the male Marines have no respect for the female. Is this true? Does it happen just when the females volunteer with them since they think they can not handle it or does it happen with all MOS's??

It's situationally dependant. Grunt units who don't work with females normally are more prone to dislike female Marines. However, most of the Marine units are used to it and there is no difference one way or another. A Marine is a Marine, regardless of gender.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    It's situationally dependant. Grunt units who don't work with females normally are more prone to dislike female Marines. However, most of the Marine units are used to it and there is no difference one way or another. A Marine is a Marine, regardless of gender.

I would say that is a pretty fair assessment. Many of our Marines were pretty immature if a woman even walked by, let alone "dare" try to work with them. It is what is, just don't let it make you bitter. Use that negativity and prove them wrong. I wouldn't recommend trying to be "one of the boys" to fit in either. In the end I always had more respect for the ladies among them. Just me, maybe. Do you like dipping and scratching yourself? Up to you..

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    I would say that is a pretty fair assessment. Many of our Marines were pretty immature if a woman even walked by, let alone "dare" try to work with them. It is what is, just don't let it make you bitter. Use that negativity and prove them wrong. I wouldn't recommend trying to be "one of the boys" to fit in either. In the end I always had more respect for the ladies among them. Just me, maybe. Do you like dipping and scratching yourself? Up to you..
    I have never tried to be "one of the boys" I just be who I am and if I happen to kick their butts then so be it. Do I like dipping ans scratching myself meaning....? (Yes I am slow)

Credits
    Savings
    That was not aimed at YOU personally. You will see in time that some of our Sisters do try to fit in this way. I'm not knocking them, just saying I personally didn't think too highly of it. my 2 pennies.

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    That was not aimed at YOU personally. You will see in time that some of our Sisters do try to fit in this way. I'm not knocking them, just saying I personally didn't think too highly of it. my 2 pennies.
    Hehe, okay. I have never heard anyone say my two pennies! My mom says 2 cents, I like the pennies one.

Keep in mind you're reading a very biased book. Read up a little on the author. An author with a case to prove about gender bias isn't likely to paint a good picture of gender respect. Take from it what you will.

Any individual within the Marine Corps will rise and fall on the merits of their actions. If you act like a floozy... people will dismiss you as inconsequential. If you are competent, they will respect that. Take from that what you will. It's not about kicking anyone's butt. Most likely many people will kick yours, male and female. Just do the right things for the right reasons. The rest will sort itself out.

If you choose to walk into the Marine Corps with a chip on your shoulder about supposed bias I guarantee you will find it.. and you will be a disaster of a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    Keep in mind you're reading a very biased book. Read up a little on the author. An author with a case to prove about gender bias isn't likely to paint a good picture of gender respect. Take from it what you will.

Any individual within the Marine Corps will rise and fall on the merits of their actions. If you act like a floozy... people will dismiss you as inconsequential. If you are competent, they will respect that. Take from that what you will. It's not about kicking anyone's butt. Most likely many people will kick yours, male and female. Just do the right things for the right reasons. The rest will sort itself out.

If you choose to walk into the Marine Corps with a chip on your shoulder about supposed bias I guarantee you will find it.. and you will be a disaster of a Marine.
    Thank you, I will keep that in mind. I had a feeling it would be over dramatized that is why I asked. But you never know.

Isrowei put it very well.

My own personal view...females aren't judged to much differently then the males, it just seems that way sometimes. What you're talking about is the lioness program. We just had to send the female from our platoon to go and do that for a month with a grunt unit...and she had no problems. She carries her own weight. The problems that you can have when going to a unit that you're not apart of, is that you have to prove yourself to them...they don't know how you've trained or how you'll handle yourself in a bad situation. To them you're just an outsider. Doesn't matter if you're male or female.

As soon as you prove yourself competent with those Marines, then you'll be fine. But if you don't carry yourself professionally and pull your own weight, then you'll earn a bad reputation.

As a female Marine, I can tell you that gender bias does exist in the Corps. I occurs more often with the grunts, who will judge you before they even get the chance to know you. Some of the grunts are cool, but the majority have different opinions of female Marines.

You will find that you have to work twice as hard as the male Marines in order to earn your respect. For example, I have watched two awards that I had earned go to male Marines who slacked off (I did all the work, they got the credit). Recently I earned a certcomm for working double duties and going above and beyond, yet I still have to listen to male Marines tell me that the only reason I got the award is because I have "breasts and a virgina". Had I been a male Marine, I would not have received any negative feedback.

It is a difficult challenge to earn the respect of your peers, but it is not impossible. For instance, when I was in Cpl's course, I had this male SSgt as my instructor who was fresh from Drill Instructor duty in SD. He didn't necessarily look down on female Marines, but he didn't seem to have the same respect as with the male Marines. He ignored the female for the most part, would get on the males for things, but always tried to avoid contact with the females in the course. The PT was challenging, most of the class fell out. As we were running back, I decided to sprint up to the front and grab the guidon. I was exhausted, but I took the guidon and ran it around the formation, and as I came around to sprint to the front, I let out a loud motivated war cry as I charged to the front. The cadence immediately stopped as the platoon cheered and what-not, guess I motivated everyone. I later heard the SSgt was impressed, he was motivated by my actions as well- somewhat improved his image of female Marines.

You will see gender bias, but it depends on what you do with it. There are some things that you can't help and there are some things you can. When you go to boot, the female Drill Instructors will be hard on you because there are only a small number of female Marines and you will have to earn the respect of the male Marines in order to succeed in the Corps. There are some female Marines who give the rest of us a bad name- don't be one of those. Most male Marines who never worked with female Marines will think that we are all the same, so don't let their first impression be a bad one. Carry your own weight and work on developing a good reputation (your reputation is very important). Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by tripletgirl101 View Post
    Okay so I have been reading Band of Sisters and so far in the book there are 2 female Marines attatched to I think it was an infantry unit to search the females and children. So far the male Marines have no respect for the female. Is this true? Does it happen just when the females volunteer with them since they think they can not handle it or does it happen with all MOS's??
    Where were they hiding them in my time,lol?

Thank you so much guys!
    Quote Originally Posted by SGT7477 View Post
    Where were they hiding them in my time,lol?
    I almost spit out my drink when I read that!

I think overall alot of Marines are affraid to work with Female Marines. In my book Their is no such thing as Male Marine/ Female Marine. It really matters the most when you come home complaining about them. Then your big boss gets involved. Any Male Marine out there knows who I'm talking about too. Yes the Wife.....Lots of jealousy. So i guess alot of guys would rather go around it all together. Now as a Engineer, I see females all the time. Not only that females that leave the wire and do get in firefights. So the females not fighting not totally true. I guess if I had to pick, I'd pick to work with them. Because ultimately we are all Marines, and most males dont go through anything diffrent than the Female Marines

I hate females who expect the males to cover for their slack. If you expect to get promoted like them, then you'd better work like them.

I would have pro/cons reflect but unfortunately it doesn't work that way.... women get 4.5/4.5 while guys get 4.2/4.2

I can't explain it... they just do.

I dont think once I ever worked with a female. Then again I was in Horno. I only had the asbestos in the flattops to keep me warm at night.

Thread Information