Do combat engineers ever really see combat? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by m14ed View Post
    There is no PERFECT MOS in the Marine Corps.
    Bragging Rights go to the Grunts.
    Some of us who Trailed along
    were in various stages somewhere between
    laughter and tears, sometimes even considered
    panic -one time or another.-
    Be carefull what you wish for, you may just get it.
    You engineers back then saw a lot more combat than you would today, I gotta imagine it's a lot different now on deployments. From what you Marines have told me it varies from person to person, a roll of the dice to which unit you get attached to. When the time comes that I finally earn the title, the Corps will get what the Corps needs in terms of a specific MOS.

Combat Engineers in many other branches have seperate MOS's for their different classifications. The Marine Corps, being more cost-effective keeps us all in one MOS.

There are three main types of Combat Engineer units:

1. Division/CEB/CAB: Combat Engineer Battalion/Combat Assault Battalion(s)- These are the guys that are attached to the infantry, do the most demolitions, IED sweeping, etc.

2. Group/MLG: Marine Logistics Group(s)- These guys are your typical construction, road construction, IED sweeping/route clearance, bridging, etc.

3.Air Wing- These guys do generally what is needed. I know the least about this area of our MOS, but I hear a lot about them making wooden placards for their higher ups. I am mostly ignorant in this area. I would imagine they work on a lot of runways, etc type work.

The thing to remember is that Combat Engineers are a 'Jack of All Trades' and any unit must be prepared to do anything pertaining to their MOS. An Engineer in Group or Wing that typically builds bridges or does carpentry work must be prepared to do demolitions if they are needed, etc. Combat Engineers are the ones who will sweep and identify IED's. EOD many times will be called once they are found to handle them, but we are the guys clearing the roads for the infantry to do their missions, for the Logistic elements to move their supplies and manpower.

Don't rush into any MOS. Take the time and find what you think you would mostly benefit from, enjoy, and contribute to in the Corps doing. Be prepared to suck it up and do your job once you do. Hope this helped you some.

Quote Originally Posted by JWG View Post
    Combat Engineers in many other branches have seperate MOS's for their different classifications. The Marine Corps, being more cost-effective keeps us all in one MOS.

There are three main types of Combat Engineer units:

1. Division/CEB/CAB: Combat Engineer Battalion/Combat Assault Battalion(s)- These are the guys that are attached to the infantry, do the most demolitions, IED sweeping, etc.

2. Group/MLG: Marine Logistics Group(s)- These guys are your typical construction, road construction, IED sweeping/route clearance, bridging, etc.

3.Air Wing- These guys do generally what is needed. I know the least about this area of our MOS, but I hear a lot about them making wooden placards for their higher ups. I am mostly ignorant in this area. I would imagine they work on a lot of runways, etc type work.

The thing to remember is that Combat Engineers are a 'Jack of All Trades' and any unit must be prepared to do anything pertaining to their MOS. An Engineer in Group or Wing that typically builds bridges or does carpentry work must be prepared to do demolitions if they are needed, etc. Combat Engineers are the ones who will sweep and identify IED's. EOD many times will be called once they are found to handle them, but we are the guys clearing the roads for the infantry to do their missions, for the Logistic elements to move their supplies and manpower.

Don't rush into any MOS. Take the time and find what you think you would mostly benefit from, enjoy, and contribute to in the Corps doing. Be prepared to suck it up and do your job once you do. Hope this helped you some.
    Thank you for the info Sir, and yes it did help. Out of any I would choose the first if i could. I appreciate your time.

If you try and sign up for a combat engineer MOS, but for some reason the slot is not open, or something goes wrong, what is the most likely MOS you would get? Can you choose to be specifically a combat engineer and be guaranteed to get the job?

Well if your active you won't sign up for just combat engineer you will get the 13xx MOS field. Which is as Follows 1314 Welder, 1341 HE Mechanic, 1342 Small Boat Mechanic(You get attached to a recon unit) 1343 ABV Mechanic (Armored Breaching Vehicle), 1345 HE Operator (You operate every HE equipment except the ABV but are eligible to pick up the secondary MOS of ABV OP), 1361 Engineering Assistant (A surveyor) 1371 Combat Engineer, and finally 1372 ABV operator (A secondary MOS available to 1345's and 71's)

Quote Originally Posted by ZSKI View Post
    Well if your active you won't sign up for just combat engineer you will get the 13xx MOS field. Which is as Follows 1314 Welder, 1341 HE Mechanic, 1342 Small Boat Mechanic(You get attached to a recon unit) 1343 ABV Mechanic (Armored Breaching Vehicle), 1345 HE Operator (You operate every HE equipment except the ABV but are eligible to pick up the secondary MOS of ABV OP), 1361 Engineering Assistant (A surveyor) 1371 Combat Engineer, and finally 1372 ABV operator (A secondary MOS available to 1345's and 71's)
    What are the odds that you would become 1371 if you signed up for that field?

Credits
    Savings
    im a division combat engineer...billeted machine gunner. so take that in. we go out on our own as companies as a route clearance team...meaning we go first. if we're not route clearance, we're direct support. where a squad might get attached to a infantry unit to handle their demo and sweep for them. you will be in the ****.

you ask some stupid questions kid, please brighten up or dont join the corps. Yes combat engineers see combat, too many of them do and too many of them come home from afghan without their legs, it sucks. But it's understandable why since theyre usually the ones on point with the mine detector.

Quote Originally Posted by Grunt89TLCPL View Post
    you ask some stupid questions kid, please brighten up or dont join the corps. Yes combat engineers see combat, too many of them do and too many of them come home from afghan without their legs, it sucks. But it's understandable why since theyre usually the ones on point with the mine detector.
    Haha. Alrighty then.

I'm a Combat Engineer and my last deployment my entire platoon, minus two people got their Combat Action Ribbon. We were attached directly to an infantry battalion and did every thing the 03xx did and more, most of us seen more action than the Infantry battalion we were attached to; mainly because they needed 1371's on every operation. Now as for getting a 1371 slot I am not sure about now but back when I went to Engineer School, 1371's was a much needed MOS.

Is This Kid For Real!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf

Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    Is This Kid For Real!!!!!!!!!!!

Semper Fi

Stephen Doc Hansen Hm3 Fmf
    Yes, I am for real, or I would not have posted the question. Thank you to everyone who gave me an honest response.

Forget what the motards say and take the posters with a condenscending tone with a grain of salt. Like every MOS, it depends on where you go and what you do. I've seen supply NCOs with 4 stacks of ribbons that have seen combat and infantry boots that left the Corps after 4 years that haven't fought. I've also seen CID (Criminal Investigators) do covert ops for force protection on bases, but caught crap from other Marines because they didn't kick down doors and get bad guys, but what they did was still pretty cool.

Quote Originally Posted by dusterthecrazy View Post
    Forget what the motards say and take the posters with a condenscending tone with a grain of salt. Like every MOS, it depends on where you go and what you do. I've seen supply NCOs with 4 stacks of ribbons that have seen combat and infantry boots that left the Corps after 4 years that haven't fought. I've also seen CID (Criminal Investigators) do covert ops for force protection on bases, but caught crap from other Marines because they didn't kick down doors and get bad guys, but what they did was still pretty cool.

Hoooly crap. I just reread allof my post and words can not express how much of an idiot I feel like XD. Seriously Marines, please forgive me for being an ignorant annoyance. All the stuff about glory,this and that. Now I know why I got the responses I did. I know it's been only 9 months but I am definately not that immature anymore. Nor disrespectful. If I could go back I would seriously slap myself lol. Just an update, I'm a poolee now and everything is going A- okay. I ship out on November 12th and I plan on returning as a Marine. I didn't want to leave you all with a bad taste in your mouth. Thank you all for your service and putting up with the stupid stuff Ive asked and said on here, it's pretty embarrasing now that I look back lol.

Thread Information