Just Got My MOS Secured!!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member dionna23's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Talking Just Got My MOS Secured!!

I swore in, in May and haven't had an MOS secured until this past Wednesday. I've been waiting.. a n x i o u s l y... lol for this job but from what my recruiter told me to get a job in the Intelligence Field is VERY hard. BUT, I got it!!! :] If anyone one could give me any insight, advice, or anything on this job it would be very appreciated :]

Quote Originally Posted by dionna23 View Post
    I swore in, in May and haven't had an MOS secured until this past Wednesday. I've been waiting.. a n x i o u s l y... lol for this job but from what my recruiter told me to get a job in the Intelligence Field is VERY hard. BUT, I got it!!! :] If anyone one could give me any insight, advice, or anything on this job it would be very appreciated :]

Hmm. Congratulations. Well if I were you, i'd worry less about the job, and concentrate on graduating Bootcamp. You wont be making it to your MOS school if you can't graduate from Parris Island. Just PT and give thanks that you got the job you wanted, don't let your recruiter down. Also bro, if you want intelligence, you're going to have to learn how to use some initiative, no? I want to be a Scout/Sniper, and I learned everything I know about the coveted MOS (from SLUG, to PIG, to HOG, and what's required and many little details about the MOS and those who have done it before me) not by asking Marines, which is good, but by doing my own research. If you're passionate about this MOS you got? Use the internet to study it! You'll get a lot of information and then, the Marines will be able to provide you with further insight as to what you're getting yourself into. But initiative, I believe is important in the United States Marine Corps. Congrats. Concentrate on graduating boot. Just from one poolee to another.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by ScarSniper View Post
    Also bro, if you want intelligence, you're going to have to learn how to use some initiative, no? I want to be a Scout/Sniper, and I learned everything I know about the coveted MOS (from SLUG, to PIG, to HOG, and what's required and many little details about the MOS and those who have done it before me) not by asking Marines, which is good, but by doing my own research. If you're passionate about this MOS you got? Use the internet to study it! You'll get a lot of information and then, the Marines will be able to provide you with further insight as to what you're getting yourself into. But initiative, I believe is important in the United States Marine Corps. Congrats. Concentrate on graduating boot. Just from one poolee to another.
    I appreciate it! But I HAVE been doing my research. thats mainly why i asked on here. So i could have more than just the internet to rely on. lol i also am VERY concentrated on Boot Camp. More concentrated and dedicated than i've been to anything in my life! But again, I appreciate your feedback :]

I appreciate it! But I HAVE been doing my research. thats mainly why i asked on here. So i could have more than just the internet to rely on. lol i also am VERY concentrated on Boot Camp. More concentrated and dedicated than i've been to anything in my life! But again, I appreciate your feedback :]

Sounds good, that's how I feel. Just keep that motivation and hang out with motivated poolees and try to inspire some passion out of those who aren't as motivated and are struggling. Intelligence is a great choice too, man, leaves a LOT of doors open in the civilian world if you ever decide to get out of the Marine Corps or even if you do the full 20 and then still feel the urge to work. I was going to do Intel, as well, because it looks good on your resume when applying to Secret Service positions or something prestigious like the FBI or even the CIA but I felt it was too far a difference from Infantry, which is what I really want to do. (Plus, then i'd have to LAT-move to become a Sniper) lol. There was this poolee that came in and wanted to do intel, and he scored high on his ASVAB, but they wouldn't let him because he's a dual citizen (British) and he was a little dissapointed, but I could see why the Gov. wouldn't want him to have full access to certain material. So you're lucky, man! Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Sounds good, that's how I feel. Just keep that motivation and hang out with motivated poolees and try to inspire some passion out of those who aren't as motivated and are struggling. Intelligence is a great choice too, man, leaves a LOT of doors open in the civilian world if you ever decide to get out of the Marine Corps or even if you do the full 20 and then still feel the urge to work. I was going to do Intel, as well, because it looks good on your resume when applying to Secret Service positions or something prestigious like the FBI or even the CIA but I felt it was too far a difference from Infantry, which is what I really want to do. (Plus, then i'd have to LAT-move to become a Sniper) lol. There was this poolee that came in and wanted to do intel, and he scored high on his ASVAB, but they wouldn't let him because he's a dual citizen (British) and he was a little dissapointed, but I could see why the Gov. wouldn't want him to have full access to certain material. So you're lucky, man! Good luck!
    Yea! I've always ALWAYS wanted to be a Spook! lol. (thats what my mom calls ppl in the CIA] And yea I would have been pretty dissapointed if i wouldn't have been able to get it. My asvab was only a 79. Alot of the Guys I've met who are joining want to do infantry. Why do you want to do that? (Totally not being a smart ass, just curious as to why]

Yea! I've always ALWAYS wanted to be a Spook! lol. (thats what my mom calls ppl in the CIA] And yea I would have been pretty dissapointed if i wouldn't have been able to get it. My asvab was only a 79. Alot of the Guys I've met who are joining want to do infantry. Why do you want to do that? (Totally not being a smart ass, just curious as to why]
    Well, I scored a 66 on my ASVAB, which isn't bad (for someone who didn't study a day. lol) but could be a lot better, and my recruiter told me I qualify for some decent jobs because my line scores weren't terrible either, but, I guess I feel the need to experience the most raw form of the Marine Corps for myself. There are men out there fighting and really DYING (dead. Never see their families AGAIN) or getting mutilated and scarred for life, and they're doing it for my benefit. Self-sacrifice at it's finest. I guess I just feel the need to do my part? I wouldn't feel comfortable, joining the Marine Corps in a time of war and not actively participating in the...grunt work of it. Now, I know I need to earn my title before I can really shoot off my mouth like this because that will prove I can handle myself on the battlefield, but, that's my intention. Also, like I said, I want to be a Scout-Sniper...it's not a glorious job from what i've discovered about it, and it's not easy, but damn, to me, it's the best job in the Marine Corps. I mean, those guys are the REAL DEAL. The tactics they learn, the ability to employ those tactics on demand, the further level of discipline in an already elite branch? If I can earn that, why wouldn't I want to?

Also, my best friend is in the Army as an 11B (infantry in the Army) going for ranger school...just earned his CIB, so he's an inspiration to me, (wish he would've joined the Marines though)

Credits
    Savings
    Well, I scored a 66 on my ASVAB, which isn't bad (for someone who didn't study a day. lol) but could be a lot better, and my recruiter told me I qualify for some decent jobs because my line scores weren't terrible either, but, I guess I feel the need to experience the most raw form of the Marine Corps for myself. There are men out there fighting and really DYING (dead. Never see their families AGAIN) or getting mutilated and scarred for life, and they're doing it for my benefit. Self-sacrifice at it's finest. I guess I just feel the need to do my part? I wouldn't feel comfortable, joining the Marine Corps in a time of war and not actively participating in the...grunt work of it. Now, I know I need to earn my title before I can really shoot off my mouth like this because that will prove I can handle myself on the battlefield, but, that's my intention. Also, like I said, I want to be a Scout-Sniper...it's not a glorious job from what i've discovered about it, and it's not easy, but damn, to me, it's the best job in the Marine Corps. I mean, those guys are the REAL DEAL. The tactics they learn, the ability to employ those tactics on demand, the further level of discipline in an already elite branch? If I can earn that, why wouldn't I want to?

Also, my best friend is in the Army as an 11B (infantry in the Army) going for ranger school...just earned his CIB, so he's an inspiration to me, (wish he would've joined the Marines though)
    Wow. Thats really great!! Admiration is like at a 100 for you!! AND for your best friend! NONE of my friends would join the Corps with me. lol. or any other branch at that. I played womens varsity basketball so most of them are in college right now getting their learn on. So right now im trying to make friends from the Corps. I can't W A I T to earn my title... but i know alot of hard work is in store.

Good job on being one of the lucky ones to score a first come, first serve MOS. It is rare that they are open and you can sign an SOU for one that quick. I waited for months and missed one by about 15 minutes because I was pumping gas in my truck and missed the text from my recruiter.

However I wouldn't bother asking questions about the MOS now that you have secured the contract. No one knows what your exact MOS is, and neither will you until you get to SOI in your MCT platoon. You'll be given that info after you complete BSRE.

Also for the Poolee above talking about Scout/Sniper. What is your MOS? You realize you can be one no matter what your MOS is? The only difference is if you're an infantry MOS, they'll do screening during your stint at SOI in ITB. Any Marine can show up for the Indoc provided they get the OK from their chain of command.

If you plan on serving your country as you said, experiencing the raw Marine Corps, I'd suggest sticking to an 03XX field. Scout/Sniper is far from the "real" or "raw" Corps.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by xfusex View Post
    Good job on being one of the lucky ones to score a first come, first serve MOS. It is rare that they are open and you can sign an SOU for one that quick. I waited for months and missed one by about 15 minutes because I was pumping gas in my truck and missed the text from my recruiter.

However I wouldn't bother asking questions about the MOS now that you have secured the contract. No one knows what your exact MOS is, and neither will you until you get to SOI in your MCT platoon. You'll be given that info after you complete BSRE.

Yea! I waited since may. i had been sitting with my fingers crossed for a while. when me recruiter txtd me that day i was SO happy. i ran all the way to the other side of my job to tell my mom that i got it. and thanks. I really didn't know i wouldn't know anything until MCT.

It's funny. Very rarely will you run into a kid in boot camp who has an ACTUAL honest to goodness MOS. 99% of them will have a number, but it's just a field, not the actual occupation. That actual occupation or MOS number is given during MCT right after you complete BSRE. Sometimes during BSRE, if you have a cool Platoon CO. All depends. MCT is the first place you'll get it though.

Credits
    Savings
    ok. ok. cool. thanks for the info. my recruiters dont say much. but i dont blame them. i dont really ask much. haha. well.. until recently

Did you sign as a reservist or active? I thought only reservist get to pick there mos instead of just the field.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by PooleePags View Post
    Did you sign as a reservist or active? I thought only reservist get to pick there mos instead of just the field.

I am active. Im sorry if i got the wording wrong. I do not know my exact MOS. My Job is just in the "Intelligence" field. Excuse me. Sorry =\

Quote Originally Posted by xfusex View Post

Also for the Poolee above talking about Scout/Sniper. What is your MOS? You realize you can be one no matter what your MOS is? The only difference is if you're an infantry MOS, they'll do screening during your stint at SOI in ITB. Any Marine can show up for the Indoc provided they get the OK from their chain of command.

If you plan on serving your country as you said, experiencing the raw Marine Corps, I'd suggest sticking to an 03XX field. Scout/Sniper is far from the "real" or "raw" Corps.
    Thank you. I do plan on doing 03 (i'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do a deployment before I'm even considered for sniper school. Correct me if I'm wrong)
    But uh, I wasn't implying that the rest of the Marine Corps isn't raw or real, I was just saying, in my opinion, from what i've read, and from what the few scout/snipers i've met by chance or who are recruiters have told me, 0317 is one of the toughest MOS' to have) And I know right now, Snipers aren't really in their element with this new middle-east war going on right now and that the 0311's 31s ect get the blunt of the force, but as far as the training, and as far as what's required of them, from what i've read, to me they are one of the toughest breeds. As for not going infantry to become an 0317...I knew you could LAT move, but I didn't know that any Marine (outside of infantry) could show up for Sniper School. That's news to me. So if I were say a cook, or a musician, and I got the OK from the chain of Command, and qual as an expert rifle, with a 300 PFT, I could possibly get accepted into Sniper school as a SLUG? (I used the example of cook, and musician because those are the jobs that I could think of that are furthest from infantry) Thanks in advance if you respond.

Pull-ups: 17
    Crunches:121
    1.5 Run: 9:50

I scored an 88 on the ASVAB with a 126 GT score, so I was pushed towards trying to go intel, but I'm still gunning for the AG contract (aircrew), combat engineer (13XX) or military police (58XX). For now, I have a BA contract, which is some sort of Aircraft Maintenance contract - my recruiters didn't want me to end up shipping to boot camp with an open contract. I'll definitely be able to secure a contract I want right before I ship though, since FY11 is right around the corner.

Oh, and ScarSniper, I understand exactly what you mean by wanting to experience the most raw form of the Marine Corps via infantry; if I weren't female I'd be waiting out for a combat MOS too.

Good luck, and see you on the Island.

Thread Information