Marine Poolee searching for MOS
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Marine Poolee searching for MOS

Hello from the west coast,

Just recently got back from MEPs and got all my papers signed and ready to go. I ship September 12th this year. So I have a while to get some stuff scribbled out and pick an MOS. I had to retake my ASVAB up at MEPs and I scored an overall 85, I've really been hammering the Military dot com MOS list, gone over most of them. And the last half a year I've came to really like a few of the jobs, I'm looking at Field 27xx Cryptology, Enlisted Air Crew and Artillery, but I know for a fact some of you Vets, current Marines, and even poolees can offer some recommendations for a primary MOS. I'm not looking for Infantry, but I am looking for a very exciting and challenging time in the Marine Corps. Please help out. Throw some ideas out there. I know it's different for everyone, but any ideas for an adventure? Oh, before I end this I was looking at rescue diver today. I don't really know to much about it. Only researched it for about an hour, but I'm looking for something exciting like that!

-Thanks all, Mike

Completely and totally unbiasedly, I'd say Combat engineer or most MOS's within the engineering field are exciting, and this comes from Marines.

I wanted infantry so badly, that's why I joined the Corps instead of the army (I'm kind of lazy...but I want to fight the bad guys, so why do army when I can be a Marine infantryman?). But I ended up with combat engineer because that's as close as I could get with what was open.

So I continued opting for infantry, and every time a Marine or a different recruiter asked me what my MOS is, they would tell me stay with it. They say they wished they could have been combat engineers, and the ones that were 1371's say it was the best thing they ever chose in the Corps

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Completely and totally unbiasedly, I'd say Combat engineer or most MOS's within the engineering field are exciting, and this comes from Marines.

I wanted infantry so badly, that's why I joined the Corps instead of the army (I'm kind of lazy...but I want to fight the bad guys, so why do army when I can be a Marine infantryman?). But I ended up with combat engineer because that's as close as I could get with what was open.

So I continued opting for infantry, and every time a Marine or a different recruiter asked me what my MOS is, they would tell me stay with it. They say they wished they could have been combat engineers, and the ones that were 1371's say it was the best thing they ever chose in the Corps
    Well a combat engineer isnt really an engineer. its more like badass contractor

Thanks fellas! You guys are a real help! Keep it up! I'm expanding my options!

Intel or Comm!!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im a real big computer nerd but im going into infantry for my first 4 years and if i end up loving the USMC ill go into some kind of computer field

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by calebh180 View Post
    Im a real big computer nerd but im going into infantry for my first 4 years and if i end up loving the USMC ill go into some kind of computer field
    I am about the same, I am not concerned with job skills learned in the corps, I want to serve as infantry. Then run my own business, not serve then make some other punk rich. Some people think I am wasting whatever brains I might have.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Taviah View Post
    I am about the same, I am not concerned with job skills learned in the corps, I want to serve as infantry. Then run my own business, not serve then make some other punk rich. Some people think I am wasting whatever brains I might have.
    yep same here. Just about every time I get in a conversation about the Marine Corps with my family they always say that I dont need to go into that infantry "crap". But in my eyes a real marine is the one on the front lines fighting for our country, I want to earn my desk job and if I get killed in Afghanistan then thats how it was meant to be.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm going enlisted air crew, and I've heard that its one of the more fun jobs in the Corps from guys around my RSS. Most of them say they wish they could get a lat move to crew chief lol.

Credits
    Savings
    Die on the field? Ha! I've never died before, I wouldn't know how.
    "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." -George S. Patton

Hey Michael, just an FYI. If your going active duty, then getting the EXACT job you want, is going to have some risk. In order to get 1371, you sign for that field, which offers several other jobs. Then, you find out what job you get in that field, at the end of boot camp (I believe..).

Now, If your going Reserves, thennn you can pick the exact job you want, no problem. Just as long as you live close to a duty station that offers that job. I wouldve gone reserves, but the only jobs id be able to choose are Motor T and Supply. fffff that!

Edit: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=73906

That should help you out

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    For an all around experience I'd pick MP or Motor T, but that includes paperwork, lots of training, variation, and long hours. The whole shabang. If I would give you advice, do something that you like that would offer a career later in life.

Quote Originally Posted by calebh180 View Post
    yep same here. Just about every time I get in a conversation about the Marine Corps with my family they always say that I dont need to go into that infantry "crap". But in my eyes a real marine is the one on the front lines fighting for our country, I want to earn my desk job and if I get killed in Afghanistan then thats how it was meant to be.

A real marine? Why dont you try telling you DI that infantry Marines are the only "Real Marines" and then tell me how many times you puked on the quarterdeck. And try telling all the vets who werent infantry that they didnt do their part in fighting for our country. You got a real awakening coming to you. The Marine Corps is like a well oiled machine and everyone has a job or else it falls apart. By the way, I too have a 03XX MOS contract so I'm not just saying this to defend other MOS fields. Im saying this because your a moron for saying that.

Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson8824 View Post
    A real marine? Why dont you try telling you DI that infantry Marines are the only "Real Marines" and then tell me how many times you puked on the quarterdeck. And try telling all the vets who werent infantry that they didnt do their part in fighting for our country. You got a real awakening coming to you. The Marine Corps is like a well oiled machine and everyone has a job or else it falls apart. By the way, I too have a 03XX MOS contract so I'm not just saying this to defend other MOS fields. Im saying this because your a moron for saying that.
    Perfect example about 0311:

http://www.futurejarheads.org/infantry0300humps.htm

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson8824 View Post
    I said the ones out there fighting are real marines. If you got a desk job you need to earn it. So **** you

Thread Information