does the average 0311 see combat?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

does the average 0311 see combat?

i hear all the time about how bored Marines are over seas because there is rarely any fighting. is this true? i understand that a marine is in no way guaranteed to even go to the middle east, but overall, on average do most grunts ever see combat?

i'm not saying "i want to sign up for the Marines but am too scared to go to combat", nor im i joining to "kill all those F***ING ragheads!". but if given the choice i would definitely choose to to see combat.

i know this isn't WWII, or a video game, i'm not expecting to be fighting an army of enemies or to easily be able to tell enemy from civilians. i know that there are no enemy uniforms and most attacks are "indirect fire". i read a quote from a marine (he goes by "lava dog" online if that helps) that said "Infantry work is 99 percent boredom and 1 percent excitement that can kill or maim you."
    what i want to know is: do most grunts ever experience that last one percent?

Last edited by ajmidget; 05-05-10 at 06:33 PM. Reason: typo

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You just Posted a double negative....

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhode Island View Post
    You just Posted a double negative....
    ???
    if its a joke, like people using "military intelligence" as a joke, or something along those lines, it went right over my head, lol

I'm not a grunt but if you join as any mos and especially grunts.. You will see combat. You will get deployed to afghanistan. The enemy doesn't care what you are. They will try to kill you all the same.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by KidnapSix View Post
    I'm not a grunt but if you join as any mos and especially grunts.. You will see combat. You will get deployed to afghanistan. The enemy doesn't care what you are. They will try to kill you all the same.
    i understand, but how often are the enemy even around?

Quote Originally Posted by ajmidget View Post
    i understand, but how often are the enemy even around?
    Ah come on, be for real.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by WMarine View Post
    Ah come on, be for real.
    i don't mean it like that, lol!
    basically i read this article on "futurejarheads.com" (which has been a very helpful site in the past) and the article said that more than likely than not i would not see combat even as an 0311, so i shouldn't get my hopes up, (wow thats sounds weird when talking about war) and i wanted to hear from some others to confirm/deny that this was the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmidget View Post
    i don't mean it like that, lol!
    basically i read this article on "futurejarheads.com" (which has been a very helpful site in the past) and the article said that more than likely than not i would not see combat even as an 0311, so i shouldn't get my hopes up, (wow thats sounds weird when talking about war) and i wanted to hear from some others to confirm/deny that this was the case.
    I think you should finish puberty, graduate HS, and then worry about what action you might see, when and IF you earn the title.

Siiiiighhhh.....Mother goose and all her little children.....

First, it's "Marines". Note that odd thing at the beginning of "Marine". It's called a 'capital letter'. Style point, 'Marines' WILL be capitalized. As should letters after those little 'dots' known as 'periods'.

As far as 'combat' goes....

Well, you'll learn quick enough. It ain't all glory and bands playin, with shiny medals on your chest. Late at night, when the demons come, there ain't no martial music.

OH, and I expect a more complete profile ASAP.

Congrats youngen.

And I do not care how stupid your question may sound to others. Someone who wants to be an 03, lace the boots up, and do what combat Marines do. Good for you.

Some people join the service to learn a trade. Some join to fight.

Some of the above are happy with their choices and some are not. Time will tell with you. But good luck no matter how it works out.

I joined during a peace time. I ended up in the combat mix for over a year. And like you that is exactly what I wanted.

Three years from now you could be in combat in a SA jungle.

The future is what it will be for you. Not what it has been or will be for others.

Take 03 because you think you want that line of work. The combat will or will not happen and much of that you have no control over.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn2 View Post
    Congrats youngen.

And I do not care how stupid your question may sound to others. Someone who wants to be an 03, lace the boots up, and do what combat Marines do. Good for you.

Some people join the service to learn a trade. Some join to fight.

Some of the above are happy with their choices and some are not. Time will tell with you. But good luck no matter how it works out.

I joined during a peace time. I ended up in the combat mix for over a year. And like you that is exactly what I wanted.

Three years from now you could be in combat in a SA jungle.

The future is what it will be for you. Not what it has been or will be for others.

Take 03 because you think you want that line of work. The combat will or will not happen and much of that you have no control over.
    Thanks, I guess I am trying to look to far ahead any ways.

"Thanks, I guess I am trying to look to far ahead any ways."

Not really. Your choice of service and mos will be made before other things unfold. I am not sure that thinking about what kind of work you might like is ever done to early.

Besides this is the time to be preparing yourself in mind and body. Run, play sports, swim, lift, etc etc etc.

Good Luck

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks!

Thread Information