Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 15
Create Post
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

TheBob Hope Christmas Show '68

I remember that show well. We all walked back through Dogpatch. We caught a ride from the mess hall back to the bomb dump. We held up a big sign with H&Ms 11 Bomb Dump on it, hoping that they would show it on TV back in the World, but they did not, of course. It was a good show, though. Bob Hope was a real patriot, always going to put on a show for the Military. A real good guy.
    John Zaffino (godfather1013)

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    GODFATHER....CARMEL/MT.PLEASENT?? My memory isn't worth a sh!t, BUT....when I was about 5, or 6, my Mom and Dad lived in that area, when my dad was still in the R.A.F....don't know WHY....BUT...too many dead 60's brain cells!!.....SEMPER FI.....DOC

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Carmel/Mt. Pleasant

Hey Doc;
    Carmel is about 15 miles north of Mt Pleasant, but they are both north of White Plains. You've got the right area my friend. How are you?

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    WHITE PLAINS?? When I was a squirt...my buddy's, and I, would ride the BUS there, to see a movie, go to the HUGE Hobby Shop, and drooool over the model trains, and R/C airplanes!!!....Great old times!! TODAY.....one day at a time!.....SEMPER FI....DOC

I remember.

I remember Dog Patch. I was with 1st Maw MWCS-1. We were in the old French quarters. I was there in 1969-1970. We were delayed arriving due to ASP-1 going up. As soon as the fireworks were over, we were flown in. Dog Patch was quickly pointed out to us. The reception center was flattened, but we processed through it anyway. The guy sitting at the table pointed down the hill and said that's Dog Patch. It's off-limits. Can't tell you how many times I walked through it going to Freedom Hill, 1st MarDiv and the numerous courier runs I went on.

Hello Jinelson, good hearing from all you men who was in nam, i can remember dog patch well . I was with 1st marines amtrac's over by hill 357 along with tanks and the 155, son-a -*****es like to have drove me crazy going off every 10 to 15 minutes. this was from july 65 until march 66,i was at okanawa before they move us to nam.

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post
    Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
    Jim
    I believe that was the first place heard someone said something about "snake eater" Hell, I thought they where talkin' about momm sun sucking my pipes clear. Until they said you, "snake eating bullet catcher, don't be all day."
    Got one for you
    anyone from Con Thien around the sept-oct-or so? Ya remember the old woman that burned **** and didn't have a tooth in her mouth. She'd give BJ for a dollar, ya'd have to have a playboy or penthouse over her head. Didn't want her to get her head wet in the rain! Damn, where we ever that young?

Last edited by Mustang Marine; 03-14-09 at 05:48 PM. Reason: add more

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Gentlemen....I'll put this as nicely, as I possibly can. In Dogpatch, did they sell "Tiger-Pizz"?? How about "Thai-Sticks"?? PLEASE UNDERSTAND....those of us, who were stuck, in the bush, for 30, to 45 days at a time, and came back to a Combat Base, or Quang Tri, or Dong Ha, hearing your stories of "CONQUEST", is VERY difficult for us to accept. Are any of you gentlemen receiving disability, for P.T.S.D.???....Just wondered......Doc Greek

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I agree Doc, I was in Dog Patch and BJ's were the last thing on my mind. I thank God that I was in three different units over there and everyone of us knew what we were there for and did it. I heard stories of sex in Da Nang and different things the women would do with razor blades and shoe boxes blowing up. I served with some of the best the Marine Corps had to offer and I made it back.
    Guess they didn't pass out enough salt peter, although just looking at Mama San would have that effect on me.
    I never saw anything in Nam that I wanted and never saw any of that beautiful country they say is there. All I saw was hell and don't won't to ever see it again.
    There were a coulple of young girls serving drinks at our home base bar but we treated them with respect. I did get the chance to fly kites with some orphans one day when we went by on orphanage on patrol. That's probably the only good memory I have of Nam.
    Semper Fi Redman1

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    hey Doc..in the same boat here...heard lots of storys when in the rear (FB ROSS)..and walked past it once going to catch a chopper back to Ross...but they never let us out of the bush for any extended R&R maybe three to five days the back out but at least we never felt we was over there for nothing...the ambushes and boobytraps and rat holes kept us on our toes most the time...remember grunts starting to complane if we didnt get into some kinde of crap about getting bored...and say at least when we are in a firefight we feel like we are in this hell hole for a reason...kill gooks

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    MONTANA....HIT THE NAIL JUST RIGHT!!! I FULLY SUPPORT THE MARINES, IN THE REAR!! BUT......bragging about one's thrilling love life, with "Mamma-San", just rubs "OUR" faces in the DOO-DOO!!!.......DOC

Marines, Doc, I want to thank you for your consern, for my PTSD. I was sharing or trying to focus on some of the funny, and crazy times of my life. I certainly honor your tour and every person who was in WesPac. After 30 years in the Marine Corps, starting in Nam and having the honor to Serve with the Greatest, Most Outstanding, Brother Marines, Navy, and assorted Warriors all over the world I have found that I like remembering the things that can help me laugh.

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    0-6...."works for me!!" Thank-you for your service, and hard work. You're right, we ALL need some humor, and sillyness injected.....now, and then!.....DOC

in country 1968-69 Marble Mt MAG-16 ,,HMM-361,H&MS-16 and tons of time with Zulu co..summer 1968 we were sent to Dog Patch (bucu boom boom)to search for charlie one night//seems they liked to shoot mortars at us ramdomly..we spent all night and most of next day at DP...also went to base of Marble Mt between us and pow camp when the the Marines on top of Marble mt. with the recloiless guns were overrun..I think it was also summer 68,,in late 1968 also were sent to top of Monkey mt to search for vc harrassing AFVN tv-radio station..plus I flew out a few sorties here and there Hueys,34's and 46's ...anyway
    . I do remember DP..not much of a place to remember..if I can recollect I was sent there when I got in country with cap 2/9 for a week then transferred to Zulu co..at Mag-16..can't remember exact month,,I think I was told cap 2/9 was getting disbanded, not sure..

marvin maddox at Dogpatch

I went to the Dentist and stopped in on my way back
    Grenades and Bandleers swinging, but I had to do it

Thread Information