Leave after Boot Camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leave after Boot Camp

This question bears me making it through boot camp, but just bear with me. The ten days we are given, is it possible to save some(half, 5 days) of it if I do not intend to use it? As in can I arrive at MCT ahead of the time that is given to me?

Thank you!

uh, no... you are on recruiters assistance for those 10 days.... they just call it boot leave.

besides if you show up 5 days early, you'll just sit in a forming barracks and won't pick up until everyone else shows up.

this isn't burger king, it's the Marine Corps.

Actually, SSgt, he can infact report to MCT early, and save some leave. And only a small percentage of new Marines get recruiter's assistance. Every Marine I graduated boot camp with went through MCT with me, except for the 03 Marines (they were the only ones to get recruiter's assistance out of our entire company-- 21 days of recruiter's assistance to be exact).

uh... I didnt' really say he couldn't check in... the orders state he has to check in by such and such time... and back in my day ( I looked at my orders... yeah I still have them in my plastic folder holder thing with the EGA on it) the 10 days was sold as RA but it did take out of your leave... something to do with having to check in with some type of authority.

just keep in mind... that was two commandants ago.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You will probably want those 10 days and more after boot camp but you do not have to take any of it. You can go straight from boot camp to MCT. It would have to be something you let your drill instructors know ahead of time. At least that's how it was 6 commandants ago. There was a lad in my platoon that opted out of the boot leave. He was sent to Pendleton and was a chaser for deserters platoon for two weeks then checked into ITS with the rest of us.

Take your 10 days. Like stated, you will not pick up in MCT you will just sit around doing nothing until your company picks up. I guarantee whatever you are doing or not doing at home is better than what youll be doing waiting around at MCT.

Credits
    Savings
    My opinion is if you want to report early then go ahead. I would ask my recruiter his advice first. Even though you might not be on recruiter's assistance officially your recruiter might have some things he may want you around for. If that isn't an issue then go ahead and go early, you will only sit around the barracks or be put on working parties but that isn't that bad sometimes. I spent a month in the movement center at CamPen and some of the working parties were actually fun. It was interesting working with civilians and Marines in MOS' that I would normally never have gotten to interact with. If you are saving your leave to take a large block at a later time I would ask some of the active duty Marines on this site what the current procedure is for leave. Most units are taking leave in pre and post deployment scheduled leave blocks, so planning to hold leave may not work out in your favor later.

remember, when you are home... you can help out the recruiters and get people in and possible goto MCT as a PFC!!!

after that, try to work out a deal with your recruiter that if you get more in that he'll "give you the credit when you pick up LCpl so that it counts towards you picking up Cpl!!!

so even if it's not called RA anymore and it is your own time.... work to get promoted... that's quite a bit more money since you're under 4 months in the Corps... and you get to walk around in your blues and pick up chicks.

I got charged 10 days leave and RA has shown up on my BIR, what a bunch of bull.

Anyway concerning the question above, you'll be hating life if you dont take those 10 days. I showed up to MCT one day early and I hated it. I basically got stuck on working parties and had to help with the processing of the rest that came the next day.

Also MCT is semi jokingly referred to as 4th phase of bootcamp. It is serious business and your instrutors will very much have a DI mentallity. I suggest taking that 10 days for some r and r. After that you go straight to MOS school and you probably wont get an oppurtunity to go home untill you've been in the fleet for a bit.

I dont even know why I'm telling you this though because I gurantee after your 3 months of boot is up you'll be wanting to go home.

Quote Originally Posted by biesseb View Post
    Also MCT is semi jokingly referred to as 4th phase of bootcamp. It is serious business and your instrutors will very much have a DI mentallity.
    MCT is not serious business; MCT is pretty much a make-fun-of-DIs-convention. The instructors wish they were DIs and pretty much complain that their school was much harder than DI school the whole three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by gonnabeinnbc View Post
    MCT is not serious business; MCT is pretty much a make-fun-of-DIs-convention. The instructors wish they were DIs and pretty much complain that their school was much harder than DI school the whole three weeks.
    Then either A. you had shiaty combat instructors or B. you didn't take the course serious.

If you didn't think MCT was serious then I'd hate to be beside you in a fire fight. I mean after all they weren't teaching modern combat just for giggles.

The course is 4 weeks now and ours were intent on making every moment of it unbearable.. Bootcamp was cake compared to MCT. To each his own though.

By the way being a combat instructor is a billet that disserves much more recognition then it get

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I don't have an answer...except I wanted every bit of leave I could get after boot camp to get laid and drink....drinking age was lower at that time!

That was ten commandants ago!

Quote Originally Posted by gonnabeinnbc View Post
    Stole the words right out of my mouth except it is serious, but the DI thing, yeah that's pretty accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    I don't have an answer...except I wanted every bit of leave I could get after boot camp to get laid and drink....drinking age was lower at that time!

That was ten commandants ago!

haha, glad we are talking about time in terms of cmmandants!!!

I love it!

Thread Information