Where are all of you? - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast
    Registered User Free Member rmaschino's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtHopperUSMC
    Did your unit bring back any captured Iraqi APC's? There was a couple of those and maybe an Iraqi tank.
    Yes we brought back 2 of them

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am sure you used our wash points. We were some of the last units out.

I was a Radio operator whith 10TH MAR REGT HQ BTRY COMM / FSCC attached to 2ND MAR DIV/HQ forward , had a friend in 7TH MAR he was on west pac when Kuwait was invaded and they went to Saudi instead of Australia . I had to was my own HMMWV

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Anyone "live" in the minefields for 30 or more days? Any stories about going through them?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    ahhh the sound of crickets......

Credits
    Savings

Desert Storm/Desert Shield

Hey Hammbone- I was working with you, I was working in the same tent calling in the Air strikes, I was also working in the FDC. Hey I live in New York, drop me a call (914)525-7213. Do you Remember Air control officers, We watched the Giants beat the Bills. I was advance party/forward element for 2nd Marine Div. I don't know if you remember, rememeber The large 201 amd 93 vans. Do recall when the Iraqis invaded Khafiji, Cpl Craft and myself was going to be dropped in to call air strikes and Artillery in. But they cancelled. Well drop me a call.

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by HAMMBONE View Post
    I was a Radio operator whith 10TH MAR REGT HQ BTRY COMM / FSCC attached to 2ND MAR DIV/HQ forward , had a friend in 7TH MAR he was on west pac when Kuwait was invaded and they went to Saudi instead of Australia . I had to was my own HMMWV

I'm a Navy Corpsman and was with 3rd LAAM BN B Batty. Started off on a LST (LST 1192) before being dropped off in country at the Scud Bowl. We moved north to two differant locations. Don't remember exactly what we were near when, but I do remember being near the boarder and providing air defense to the division marines in the area.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocSeemann View Post
    I'm a Navy Corpsman and was with 3rd LAAM BN B Batty. Started off on a LST (LST 1192) before being dropped off in country at the Scud Bowl. We moved north to two differant locations. Don't remember exactly what we were near when, but I do remember being near the boarder and providing air defense to the division marines in the area.
    Do you remember a large burm surrounding those areas? If so it was the ammo supply points.

we bounced around them for a long time. had a infiltrating mission that got axed since they were bombing right where we were late to be breaching. being late isn't always bad...lol spent some time with SYOPS up there. that was fun. drive around get people to shoot at you and call in air strikes.. good times..Then we got our asses shot up by task force ripper. More fun fun fun. lost alot of gear but no bodies thank goodness.

oops thats for sgt hopper's question up there somewhere..lol

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kaboom1371 View Post
    we bounced around them for a long time. had a infiltrating mission that got axed since they were bombing right where we were late to be breaching. being late isn't always bad...lol spent some time with SYOPS up there. that was fun. drive around get people to shoot at you and call in air strikes.. good times..Then we got our asses shot up by task force ripper. More fun fun fun. lost alot of gear but no bodies thank goodness.

oops thats for sgt hopper's question up there somewhere..lol
    I remember hearing about that shooting. Good that they missed the important stuff.

Hello DS/DS MARINES, Seabee here...I just added two letters to my webpage at: www.desertveteransearch.com . The first letter is from Col. Charles O. Skipper, USMC 8th Marine Engineers, and the second from Col. Jon P. Hull, USMC 8th Marine Engineers. Now I am asking again that if anyone remembers a convoy being fired on near Kibrit, on/about Dec. 26, 1990 between 0200-0400 am, then please contact me ASAP. I am seeking those Marines who saw what happened that night, and saved my Ass ! If you can help this Seabee with a similar letter, I would appreciate it very much. My e-mail and contact information are on the webpage. Semper Fi

Hello again DS/DS Marines,

Seabee here...
    I am also seeking to find the Navy corpsman who treated me in the field when I was shot. The timeline was Dec. 26, 1990 between 0200-0400am local Saudi time. All my contact information can be found on: www.desertveteransearch.com . Thank you

Semper Fi

Seabee Here! Well, my friends...it is Dec. 26, 2008. I can not sleep and I know the reason. I'm still living in the moment on the anniversary of my being shot. I still see the road, the gray coral talcome powder road dust, driving down into the wadi and comming up out of it only to find the road ahead of me blocked with no way around without getting stuck. Nothing to do but STOP.
    I hear the sound of small arms fire and the distinct sound of an AK going off and I knew that was NOT good! The AK is very close and I'm not sure where he is, or what direction he is firing. Then someone runs past my truck and says.."Get out...take cover, we're taking fire from the left!"
    I tried to untie my wepon from behind my drivers seat when the first round hit my truck. It recochayed off the kick-plate into the empty fuel tank. I saw the sparks and thought I'd seen Jesus. I turned to get out over the gear shifts and the next round came through the drivers door hitting me in the lower part of my flack jacket, and drove me out the passengers door onto the desert floor. GOD that hurt!
    I landed on my head and my kevlar helmet dislocated my right shoulder. ****!...Oh ****! Now I can't move and they are still firing in my direction. Then someone jumped on top of me and told me to shut up and quit screamming. He grabbed the coller on the flack jacket and drug me away from the truck down into the wadi. This straightened out my leggs and torso. He checked to see if I was bleeding and then said... "lay here and stay quiet, I'll be back for you!" And he took off.
    A few seconds, or minutes, later the gunfire stopped and everything was quiet. I could hear movements in the sands around the wadi and looked to see the shapes of those dambed Camel Spiders close by near the top of the dunes. I remember yelling for someone to get my out of here! After a short time a corpsman came back to my position and treated my injuries.
    This corpsman gave me a sedative before he put my shoulder back into the socket. He put his boot in my armpit, straightening out my arm and pulling hard. Something went crackle, crackle, crack...and I passed out. When I woke up I was strapped on a backboard stretcher with my arm taped to my chest. There were several other people around me by that time.
    It must have been foolish to ask for but, I remember asking for the gun that shot me. The men around me said "NO!" So, I asked what happened to the guy that shot me. I was told he wouldn't be shooting anyone else anymore and he went to see Allah. Before they put me into the ambulance I was given a semitar sword, a pair of Iraqi shoulderboards and the AK clip with three live rounds left in it. I was given another seditive just before they closed the door on the ambulance. Everything after that went fuzzy and I just didn't seem to care anymore.
    Bits and pieces of memories still haunt me from time to time, but the one thing I will NOT forget are the men who saved my ass the night of December 26, 1990 near Kibrit in the saudi Arabian desert. THANK YOU, MARINES and CORPSMAN!!!!!!!!

As ever I'll remain,

Semper Fidelis.

Alfa Co.
    EO-3 Kernaghan, NMCB-24
    Seabee 90-91 DS/DS

I was with Kilo 3/6 during DS/DS. The movie Jarhead, whether you like it or not, was about how my platoon was. We didn't do all the stuff that STA plt. does, but we did do a lot of it, like play tackle football in MOP gear. Before we went out to the desert, we heard a rumor about that video in the movie Jarhead. To me it was just a rumor then, but apparently it really did happen. Some really nasty stuff I tell ya. I remember vividly burning a tire in a junkyard outside of Kuwait city to stay warm. Normally no one in their right mind would burn a tire, because of all the pollution it causes, but with all the oil wells burning, it made absolutely no difference in the air quality around us. The days being dark as night, is the thing I will remember the most.

Also, one of my good buddies, LCPL John Ross, was playing around with a Russian grenade, and he pulled out the blasting cap from it. Ended up going off and blinding another Marine. Can't remember his name though. Ross was a damn good Marine. Big tough SOB like me, from Ohio. He was a meritorious mass winner several times before that, but ended up getting a court martial for that incident. Busted him to PVT. and basically ruined his USMC career. Sad, because if not for that incident, I believe he would've been one hell of a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by gwladgarwr View Post
    Anyone here know a Cpl Timothy Romei? I went to junior high school with him in Oakland, CA. He joined out of San Francisco in 1986 or 1987.

He went MIA on Oct 8, 1990 during Desert Shield in the Gulf near Oman and Saudi Arabia (over water). He was aboard one of two UH1N
    helicopters from HMM 164 embarked on the USS OKINAWA for an at-sea NVG
    training operation off the coast of Oman. The two helicopters disappeared from radar and failed to respond to radio calls during the training mission. No wreckage or remains were ever recovered.

His status was changed from MIA to KIA/BNR in 2002.

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Sgt gw
    Just found this website...
    I was in 164 when the mishap happened. I was a 46 crewchief/mechanic. Some birds were doing nvg training. At the same time the controllers lost them on radar, some guys on the flight deck saw a bright flash in the distance. Several of us flew for hours the next day and only found aircraft wreckage floating in the water. Eventually, against all of our wants, the search was called off and we resumed our tasking. Hope this helps.

Thread Information