OCS + Air Contract
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question OCS + Air Contract

Hello Marines, I'm new here and I need a little bit of advice. I'm looking to see if I can get an air contract so I've been talking to recruiters for months now. Naturally I have a few questions and concerns so I figured I'd post them here and make sure I have all the fact before I make a decision. So here it goes...

My OSO tells me that if I want Air I pretty much have to do the 10 week OCS this upcoming summer before my senior year of college. (I am currently a Junior) He claims that the poor economy has sent a whole slew of college grads to the military because they can't get a job in the private sector. As a result the entire pipeline for pilot training is backed up and he can't write a contract for anyone who has already graduated. Is this true? Am I really in such a time-sensitive spot to where if I don't do this soon I may not be able to do it at all?

Secondly, he says he wants me to see a flight Physician and take the Aviation test to see if I qualify for an air contract. If I do these two things will I have to sign any papers? If I complete those do I have to commit to starting my application for air which (from my understanding) will in turn commit me to starting OCS this summer?

Next, how do I know I am actually signing an air contract and not something else? I know how extensive and legalistic contracts can get. What lines should I look for to assure I'm getting a spot in flight school? I've head talk about a line in the contract that says "for the incentive of ____" Does the provide any sort of assurance?

Let's just say I head to OCS but I injure myself somehow and washout. What will happen then? Will it be possible to get a second chance while still keeping my air contract? If not, can I simply walk away from the Marine Corps?

I know if I accept financial assistance for college and fail as OCS I will go enlisted. How can I actively refuse financial aid from the military?

Last but definitely not least. I don't want to interrupt school at all. I want to do my 10 weeks in the summer and then receive my commissioning when I graduate. I've heard tons of stories about guys that sign on the dotted line with the "guarantee" that school won't be interrupted only to get a phone call two weeks later telling them that they are headed to basic training. This has happened across all branches but all the stories I heard were about enlisted members not officers. Are officers assured the guarantee of being able to finish school?

Sorry for all the questions, I just really want to make a well informed decision. Thanks in advance for the timely responses.

Credits
    Savings
    Let's just say, you need to get back with your OSO, with this list of questions, and don't come out until they are answered, to your satisfaction.

How simple is that??

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    Let's just say, you need to get back with your OSO, with this list of questions, and don't come out until they are answered, to your satisfaction.

How simple is that??
    I intend on doing that but I'm keeping in mind that his job is to get me to sign the papers and send me to OCS. He could pretty much say anything and I would have no idea if it's accurate. I'm trying to gather a few facts first.

Nope. These days the recruiters are scrutinized carefully about throwing out BS just to get you to sign on the dotted line. If you are not sure what he is saying.... take a road trip and visit a different OSO and see what they have to say.

I agree with Big Al.... plant your butt in the seat until you have all your questions answered at one or both locations.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by DrZ View Post
    Nope. These days the recruiters are scrutinized carefully about throwing out BS just to get you to sign on the dotted line.
    Oh well that's a bit of a relief. At least that somewhat solves the mystery of whether or not there really are air contracts available for college grads. The OSO's in Miami told me the same thing about college grads flooding the Aviation pipeline. I'll sit down with my OSO again sometime this week.

Thread Information