Need Help with MOS choice
Create Post

Smile Need Help with MOS choice

I have a CL Score of 103 and i am wondering wut MOSs would be the best choice

To be honest with you most MOS's in the Marine Corps go on your GT score and your over all Asvab score the CL score means little to MOS selection. Check with your recruiter on what jobs require what he should have a whole list.

Your overall ASVAB score (and GT score) is what is choosing an MOS is primarily based on. You should be offered a big booklet by your recruiter with every occupation and their breakdowns. If not, ask. Think of jobs you would do if you didn't join the Marine Corps, and then find that job in that booklet, or something close to it. Unless your ship date changes, or you get dropped from a platoon in bootcamp, the MOS you choose shouldn't change.

Also, keep in mind that if you don't like the MOS you choose, after 2 years at your first permanent duty-station, you may choose to request a lateral move into a different MOS. The decision does come with its downfalls though.

Quote Originally Posted by Whizdumb View Post
    Your overall ASVAB score (and GT score) is what is choosing an MOS is primarily based on. You should be offered a big booklet by your recruiter with every occupation and their breakdowns. If not, ask. Think of jobs you would do if you didn't join the Marine Corps, and then find that job in that booklet, or something close to it. Unless your ship date changes, or you get dropped from a platoon in bootcamp, the MOS you choose shouldn't change.

Also, keep in mind that if you don't like the MOS you choose, after 2 years at your first permanent duty-station, you may choose to request a lateral move into a different MOS. The decision does come with its downfalls though.

WRON, WRONG, WRONG!!!

Kid, Its unfortunate that Marines that do not know the answers still give you an answer. Im a former USMC recruiter (2004-2007), Here is a quick class on the ASVAB...
    First your overall score is called your AFQT, for example if you got a 50 on the ASVAB that is your AFQT and that is not all we look at. All that score means is your qualified for the military and depending on how high you score, possibly a bonus. For example one kid I enlisted wanted to be an Aircraft mechanic, He scored a 61 AFQT, but only had a 101 MM (mechanical) score..Not qualified. I put in another kid who got a 42 AFQT, but had a 108 MM, he was qualified. Your line scores are more IMPORTANT than your AFQT. Now, the Corps looks at (4) Four line scores and here they are...

GT- General Knowledge
    MM- Mechanical
    CL-Clerical
    EL-Electrical

You have a HIGH clerical score, any line score OVER 100 is good. that means your pretty much qualified for ALMOST any clerical job, Keep in mind that i said ALMOST any job, not all. Sometimes jobs look at both GT and CL, Or El and GT. Sometimes as long as you have one your good, for example..GT of 100 "or" EL of 110. Make sense? Bottom line kid, your CL does help you qualify for certain jobs in the Corps. Your recruiter has a list of jobs that are open, he will tell you what your qualified for and what your are not qualified for. Good Luck.

I had all scores above a 100 and an ASVAB of 97...guess where I am...God Damn Grunt...Oorah...

Thread Information