Drill Instructors you have trained with
Create Post

Arrow Drill Instructors you have trained with

I've been trying to find a few D.I.'s I worked with at P.I. , Sgt Joe Williams. Sgt Dan Filmore. SSgt Suggs, SSgt Holland, SSgt Ledbetter, Sgt Montgomery Sgt Mascheck - All were 2nd BN 1986 to 88. Platoons varied 2013, 2095, 2037 etc. "D" Co.

Drill Instructor Sgt. 'HARDCORE' Fillmore

I'm not sure if I knew the FIllmore that you are referring to. But I went hrough Parriss island back in december of 1986 and we had a Drill Instructor Sgt. Fillmore that we use to call Hardcore Fillmore. He led our platoon ( 2020 ) with SDI SSGT Riddle, Sgt Byers, Sgt Goodwin, and SSgt Hinton. He was one hell of a motivator. He used to call cadence to thetune of the Marine Corps Hymn. Once when I screwed up he was gracious to create a holiday for me. My last name is Risdon so every Monday was Risdon day when he would send me to the quarter deck of each platoon in our series to get some! ( mountain climb, push ups, etc,). I actually used to hate hitting the rack on Sunday nights because I knew what was in store when I woke up the next day. Anyway I would love to touch base with any of those guys if you ever catch up with them.

Semper Fi to all the real ones out there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz86 View Post
    I'm not sure if I knew the FIllmore that you are referring to. But I went hrough Parriss island back in december of 1986 and we had a Drill Instructor Sgt. Fillmore that we use to call Hardcore Fillmore. He led our platoon ( 2020 ) with SDI SSGT Riddle, Sgt Byers, Sgt Goodwin, and SSgt Hinton. He was one hell of a motivator. He used to call cadence to thetune of the Marine Corps Hymn. Once when I screwed up he was gracious to create a holiday for me. My last name is Risdon so every Monday was Risdon day when he would send me to the quarter deck of each platoon in our series to get some! ( mountain climb, push ups, etc,). I actually used to hate hitting the rack on Sunday nights because I knew what was in store when I woke up the next day. Anyway I would love to touch base with any of those guys if you ever catch up with them.

Semper Fi to all the real ones out there!!!
    Rizz Thanks for replying, It was him I'm sure. We went to DI School together Class 4-86 You were in "F" Co. because that's where he was assigned. I was in "D" Co. I remember Riddle. He was solid. I left the Corps in 89' and have been with the Federal Bureau of Prisons for 18 1/2 yrs now. Did 9 in the Corps. 3 years and some chang and I can retire with law enforcement retirment. I loved the Corps, but had to make some decisions for the future. I made a good choice and I got to keep a lot of good memories. I've done more than most men dream about. Good talking to ya and same here if you run into anyone that knows his where abouts I would appreciate a line. I've tried the whole Google thing but no luck, anyhow see ya around. Stay safe.

By the way...I was actually in "D" company. Do you happen to know what ever happened to Riddle?

Quote Originally Posted by Rizz86 View Post
    By the way...I was actually in "D" company. Do you happen to know what ever happened to Riddle?
    You are correct he was in "D" Co. I had to jar my memory a bit 22 yrs is a long time. We just never worked the same series, that's why I thought he was next door. No I haven't heard from or about any of the hats I worked with since I left the island back in 88'. I got orders to ElToro and left service from there. Came back home to Ky. and got on with the Feds.

May I ask you marines a question?What does Drill Instructor School consist of?

Quote Originally Posted by echo6alpha View Post
    May I ask you marines a question?What does Drill Instructor School consist of?
    SWEAT! SWEAT! and more SWEAT!

I'm not a Drill Instructor yet but I think you should focus on making it threw Boot and 4 years of the Corps first.

When I went to DI School (Parris Island Class 3-82). Imagine going through recruit training AGAIN, this time with 12 DIs (Squad Instructors) instead of 3 or 4. You take all the same recruit classes again, do more PT that you ever thought imaginable and lots of pressure to memorize all the drill movements, teach them and develop yourself as an NCO. There isnt the "in your face yelling" like recruits get (except during PT), but the pressure is real in another way--- TIME MANAGEMENT!
    Without a doubt, DI School was a life changing time for me, and I will never forget it.

One of the toughest schools I've ever completed. I remember our first night, we all got up and went to chow, LOL, upon our return the place was trashed. It was a feild day cleaning every morning. With Gunny Bocook inspecting. Two hygiene and uniform inspections a day, 0730 and 1300. Chow consisted of - memorizing movements. Spare time consisted of - preparing for the next days Individual Exams.

Like ExPISCDI83 said above Time Managment was the staple of our diet, along with PT. Grueling Indian Squad runs, 5 and 7 mile Iron Mikes (ooh rah). Lot of memories and becoming part of an elite group made it all worth while.

P.S. Ex I was in El Toro from 88 to 89 with vmfa 323 death rattlers.

ssgt suggs,holland,ledbetter,

I rememeber all three and I was there in Dec 85 and graduated Mar 86 Suggs was with 2021 Ledbetter and Holland were with 2023, I was in 2022 with SSgt Galbreath

Thread Information