Weight waivered?
Create Post

Weight waivered?

So I ship in a week and my recruiter is worried about my weight. Currently I'm sitting about 195, and my height is 5'8 so he said my target weight to ship is 190. I said alright, I feel like I'll have no problem reaching that weight but he's heavily on my ass. So I googled marine corps weight requirement and found this

Within 5 percent of retention weight standards:
    If the recruit passes the IST, he can ship to basic training with no waiver.

So 190 x 5% = 9.5, does this mean that I can be sitting about at 199.5 and still be able to ship? I'm going to ask my recruiter tomorrow when I go to meet him, but was hoping someone would be able to clarify for me here, I'm sure regardless if I can or not he'll still want me to get as close to 189 as possible.

Thanks all.

I know people who were weight waivers, they were all within 10-20 lbs & got in fine after a pix were taken & sent up to the higher-ups at MEPS. I do know (from what my recruiter told me, way back when) that it is much easier to get a waiver as a male than female. So there is something in your favor.

I’m not a Marine, but I hope that helps…

Ah, alright thank you. I am still hoping to get down to that weight so there is no issue, but this does give me a little breathing room so I'm not running outside with a sauna suit on and not eating a damn thing.

Quote Originally Posted by beebe2141 View Post
    So I ship in a week and my recruiter is worried about my weight. Currently I'm sitting about 195, and my height is 5'8 so he said my target weight to ship is 190. I said alright, I feel like I'll have no problem reaching that weight but he's heavily on my ass. So I googled marine corps weight requirement and found this

Within 5 percent of retention weight standards: If the recruit passes the IST, he can ship to basic training with no waiver.

So 190 x 5% = 9.5, does this mean that I can be sitting about at 199.5 and still be able to ship? I'm going to ask my recruiter tomorrow when I go to meet him, but was hoping someone would be able to clarify for me here, I'm sure regardless if I can or not he'll still want me to get as close to 189 as possible.

Thanks all.
    I think within 5% of retention weight standards refers to active duty Marine weight limits, for example a Marine that is 68 inches is allowed to be a hefty 181lbs, and you can be 5% over that.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I have heard of these two different weight limits used before i.e. IST weight limits and retention weight limits.

So, assuming the weight limit he originally gave you was based on 5% over the retention weight standards (or the limit for a male Marine at 68 inches) then 181 x.05% = 9.05 extra lbs + 181 original limit = 190 lbs of total fat body weight

I think you need to hit the pavement, son, 190lbs is your max,,, I think

Either way, stop living on the edge of being a boot camp fat body and get to running skippy...

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I think within 5% of retention weight standards refers to active duty Marine weight limits, for example a Marine that is 68 inches is allowed to be a hefty 181lbs, and you can be 5% over that.

I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think I have heard of these two different weight limits used before i.e. IST weight limits and retention weight limits.

So, assuming the weight limit he originally gave you was based on 5% over the retention weight standards (or the limit for a male Marine at 68 inches) then 181 x.05% = 9.05 extra lbs + 181 original limit = 190 lbs of total fat body weight

I think you need to hit the pavement, son, 190lbs is your max,,, I think

Either way, stop living on the edge of being a boot camp fat body and get to running skippy...
    Alright, I have been running just until a week ago I wasn't informed that my weight limit had changed, thought I was still good at going in at 200.

I'll make sure to make it then.

Alright, I have been running just until a week ago I wasn't informed that my weight limit had changed, thought I was still good at going in at 200.

I'll make sure to make it then.
    Whatever it is, I see you still didn't get the hidden message,, you do not want to go to bootcamp and get labeled as a "fat body," it will ruin your trip.

You do not even want to come close, to getting that label.

And running alone isn't enough to drop weight, you must burn more calories then you consume. Less burgers more lettuce. Smaller meals more frequently. And, NO fast food, take an extra minute and go to Subway if you have to.

Whatever it is, I see you still didn't get the hidden message,, you do not want to go to bootcamp and get labeled as a "fat body," it will ruin your trip.

You do not even want to come close, to getting that label.

And running alone isn't enough to drop weight, you must burn more calories then you consume. Less burgers more lettuce. Smaller meals more frequently. And, NO fast food, take an extra minute and go to Subway if you have to.
    I'm watching what I'm eating, my dad was wrestled as well as coached it in college so he's making sure I eat, and cut the weight I need.

And how terrible is it if you're labeled as one? What changes exactly?

What changes exactly?
    Go there and find out....

Go there and find out....
    Sure I'll come back and tell you then.

Realise you might get a waiver but the Marine Corps is cracking down on overweight Marines so youll have get it off and keep it off!

-LCPL Penfold

Sure I'll come back and tell you then.
    Don't be stupid.

Weight limit changed? WTF over. You just decided to be lazy and start researching stuff at the end -- nothing CHANGED.

And for the LAST ****ING TIME POOLEES, you ALL must be confused. This is a website where POOLEES go to BOOTCAMP, not basic training. Deard Lord.

Hell, might as well just inform you, seeing as how you havn't at any point before, that Marine is CAPITALISED -- ALWAYS!

Quote Originally Posted by Haffner View Post
    Weight limit changed? WTF over. You just decided to be lazy and start researching stuff at the end -- nothing CHANGED.

And for the LAST ****ING TIME POOLEES, you ALL must be confused. This is a website where POOLEES go to BOOTCAMP, not basic training. Deard Lord.

Hell, might as well just inform you, seeing as how you havn't at any point before, that Marine is CAPITALISED -- ALWAYS!
    Well thank you for informing me then, Corporal.

Im going up to MEPS again on thursday for an evaluation. Im sort of a back up to leave for bootcamp on monday incase another Poolee for some reason can not. Am I able to ship to bootcamp on a 7% waiver? With my height i need to weight 132lbs and im about 128-130lbs. I wanted to know if this would be an issue.

Thread Information