Wishing to leave DEP
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Wishing to leave DEP

I haven't been on the forums for awhile so I won't be surprised if most of you don't remember me, not that I made a huge impact on the forums anyway.

I wish to leave to the DEP because I have a 5 year contract for aviation mechanic and it was my dads wish for me to take the job for something when I come out, I don't think I will like the job. I leave august 10th and I don't want to take a gamble with 5 years of my life to do something I probably won't like. I just told myself I will make a lot of money when I come out but with little over a week till I ship its hitting me hard that I can't take that chance.

I took the initiative and went to the Army office to see what they could offer me. They have the job I want which is airborne medic with the scores to get it. All I have to do is leave the DEP but the only thing that concerns me is the Army recruiters were telling me that my recruiter can withhold my information making it impossible for me to start signing papers for up to a year.

I searched the topic and found that I am allowed to leave the DEP since its non binding. My question is can he really withhold my information and if he does, is there someway I can get him to release them.

Quote Originally Posted by deBeer View Post
    I haven't been on the forums for awhile so I won't be surprised if most of you don't remember me, not that I made a huge impact on the forums anyway.

I wish to leave to the DEP because I have a 5 year contract for aviation mechanic and it was my dads wish for me to take the job for something when I come out, I don't think I will like the job. I leave august 10th and I don't want to take a gamble with 5 years of my life to do something I probably won't like. I just told myself I will make a lot of money when I come out but with little over a week till I ship its hitting me hard that I can't take that chance.

I took the initiative and went to the Army office to see what they could offer me. They have the job I want which is airborne medic with the scores to get it. All I have to do is leave the DEP but the only thing that concerns me is the Army recruiters were telling me that my recruiter can withhold my information making it impossible for me to start signing papers for up to a year.

I searched the topic and found that I am allowed to leave the DEP since its non binding. My question is can he really withhold my information and if he does, is there someway I can get him to release them.
    It doesn't sound like you have a good relationship with your Recruiter. The reason I say that, is that if you have issue with your job, you can talk with your Recruiter about that, and he can help you change it. It is kind of close to your leave date, so I suspect you're at the edge of the cliff, looking down, and are lacking the intestinal fortitude to carry through with the COMMITMENT you made.
    If you were interested in Medic, you knew prior to joining the Marine Corps, that that was not an option, as we don't have that field. You are correct when you say that your "contract" in the DEP is non-binding, however, since the Marine Corps has already invested time and assets in you, you will be discharged at Our convenience. Our COMMITMENT to you was to prepare you for Recruit Training, secure your job, and provide you the information necessary to make beneficial decisions for you. Your COMMITMENT to the Marine Corps, was to attend Functions in order to pepare/leave when assigned. No Marine/Poolee comes in here and QUITS. At least I don't think, I'm sure I'll be corrected if they do. They come in here seeking advice in how to SUCCEED as a Marine, not as a soldier.
    I have a suggestion for you. Have the gumption to go talk to your Recruiter/Boss and tell them what's on your mind. I'm sure the Army was excited to have you walk in the office, and if you want to research quitting/not following through/not accomplishing the mission, you should go to an Army based website, because they're good at that. If you want to learn how to follow through with COMMITMENTS/accept challenges/accomplish the mission, post up here again AFTER you inform your Recruiter/Boss of your intention, and you'll get some more advice. Semper Fidelis! (Look that up in your Poolee Guide)...

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I already requested for an 0300 contract and well I never got one. My commitment is not worth 5 years of my life to something I don't want to do, especially when I have the choice to back out. I tried to have to MOS changed and I didnt get it changed. Point is, the Marine Corps isn't offering me what I want, the Army is. My mind is allowed to change GyC, I'm allowed that. Also, yes I am at the edge of a cliff, looking down, but not that I'm lacking intestinal fortitude but I don't have anymore BS to cloud my mind to make me want to do something, I simply don't want to do.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It seems to me if you "really" wanted to be an "airborne medic" all along, the Marine Corps was the wrong place to go in the first place. Seeing as the Corps has very few "airborne" slots and no "medic" slots of any kind, you were screwed, blued, and tattooed from the start.

It seems that everybody and their brother who wants to be a Marine wants an infantry MOS. Only so many boatspaces in that MOS field, casualties not withstanding.

I always wanted to be a Marine. Period. I worried about getting the MOS I really liked later on.

Have fun in the Army.

P.S. For someone who wanted to be a grunt so bad, those are some pretty lame IST scores. No wonder the recruiter hasn't been busting his butt to help you out.

I already requested for an 0300 contract and well I never got one. My commitment is not worth 5 years of my life to something I don't want to do, especially when I have the choice to back out. I tried to have to MOS changed and I didnt get it changed. Point is, the Marine Corps isn't offering me what I want, the Army is. My mind is allowed to change GyC, I'm allowed that. Also, yes I am at the edge of a cliff, looking down, but not that I'm lacking intestinal fortitude but I don't have anymore BS to cloud my mind to make me want to do something, I simply don't want to do.
    Well, ok moto... Good luck in the Army... I like that quote on your profile too... You should think about that in the future... You are certainly allowed to change your mind, no one is holding a gun to yuor head... Funny you would come here, to a Marine Forum, and ask how to get out of being a Marine... You didn't think you would get some sh^t? A little history lesson for you that you may have already learned, and you won't learn in Army Basic... On November 10th 1775 the Continental Congress ordered the raising of 2 Marine Battalions to assist the Continental Army... Even 233 some odd years ago, the Army needed Our help. Your question was already answered in my first response, you'll be discharged at the convenience of the Marine Corps. Once that is done, you would be free and clear to pursue another Branch of Service... You don't rate a Semper Fi... Good luck!

so, to expand on what the gunny is saying... you won't be leaving any-time soon.

so you probably won't get your airborne medic job either.

seriously... why does everyone want infantry?! pick another job... I know too many grunts who hate their decision because they were too damn smart for it... you get to a point and you just ask... why are we still doing it this way? and you break.

aviation mechs have it pretty good, there are other jobs that have it great too...

I really don't understand your rationale. I remember you on the forums, you seemed like you knew what you were doing.

this seems like fear of the un-known to me.

you'll have the same feeling going to the army... but you'll recognize it then and won't be afraid of it then... then you'll be a nasty doggie... yelling hooah all the time... wearing velcro pockets that make lots of noise when you open them in the field, having a camoflauge uniform that doesn't work in afganistan or any other jugle... having to always wear your sleeves down even in the rear when it's 100 degrees out...

the good news is you'll be able to call your first sarge, Bob... 'cause that's his first name.

if you don't have what it takes to be a Marine then I hope you enjoy your army dog life.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post

seriously... why does everyone want infantry?! pick another job... I know too many grunts who hate their decision because they were too damn smart for it...

Contrary to popular belief to be a good Infantry Marine you need brains and commonsense. Probably more than most MOS's available today.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im going to the Marine Corps office tomorrow. SSgt said he might be able to give me 0300 in the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine but infantry is where my heart is at. As much as I want to be a Marine, I want something I could be proud to do and like to do.

Zulu 36, those IST scores havent been updated in quite some time. I took a break from the forums. In the beginning I didnt "really" want to be "airborne medic". But with thoughts of backing out and doing some research on the Army I would have picked airborne medic. The wording of that post made it sound like I wanted it. But in reality I want infantry, medic was just a bonus that I can deal without.

SSgt Petzold, I remember you too. My friends brother is airborne medic and he said they need them. When I think about it, it is fear of the unknown. I never did any mechanic work and I was never interested in it one bit. I don't hate it but its not a career I would happiley pursue. 5 years is just a long time to just cross your fingers and pray your going to like it.

GyC, I expected a lot of ****, just like I expected **** from my recruiter when I informed him of my thoughts, but it looks like there might be a chance of me getting 0300 tomorrow. If I get an 0300 contract and still leave on August 10th theres not much more for me to say other than I respect you and all Marines, you're something I wish to become.

Credits
    Savings
    This kid is the the same kid that decides he wants out of boot camp after week 1 and tells the D.I. he's suicidal so that he can go home and 4 months later after we graduate, he's still in some RSP waiting to go home while good, hard-working recruits are getting dropped for hurting themselves while putting out 110% because they WANT to be a Marine! They don't give some run around about "All I want to be is an airborne medic" and then say "In the beginning I didn't really want to be an airborne medic".

Face it, you want something easy. You probably found Army basic was a joke compared to the USMC BOOT camp and decided you wanted to go there. Well, go there. Please don't clog up my island with nastiness and negativity, coming on a Marine site to find out how to get out. Please. Go join the Army, roll down them sleeves, wear your little goofy cover and your camo's in public like its your proud uniform, and when you see US in our Dress Blues at that same place and time, just put your head down and know that you could have been there too.

Oh and enjoy your 15 month deployments! But in all seriousness, good luck to you in whatever you chose. I hope you figure it out for yourself.

daBeer.... Looks like you have already established dought in your mind about the Marine Corps. That shows that you REALLY don't want to be a Marine. You are just job hunting. There are plenty of jobs out there. Get the local paper and look in the classifieds. If you have dought at this point, you always will. Go ahead and join the Army. That is probably in your best interest and what you really wanted in the first place.

I have read your post so don't come back with an insult such as "I said.....". If you REALLY wanted to be a Marine, you would have followed through with your commitment and joined our Corps. You could have always made a LAT move later if the MOS wasn't what you really wanted or liked. As for you starting this thread on this site shows a lack of commitment on your part. Hopefully your Recruiter will be more understanding.

Think twice, then maybe one more time.

All I have to say is, there were two things that I didn't want to do in the Marine Corps: Be a mechanic, or work with computers. And guess what my job is? I'm a freaking system administrator. I work with computers ALL DAY LONG. I got put in a job that I didn't want to do for 5 years, and I couldn't be happier. Being a Marine is probably one of the best decisions anyone could ever make. I watched the other services throughout MOS school, and they just don't measure up to the high standards of the Marine Corps. And they know it. That's why when we walk on the sidewalk, everyone else moves for US. Haha. It's kind of funny actually. But seriously though, if you haven't quit the DEP yet, I'd really think about it first, because being a Marine is truly an honor and a privilege if you can get through boot. It will be one of the most maturing and life changing experiences of your life. Don't get me wrong, it's not always perfect, and there will be some bullcrap you will have to put up with. But it is what it is, and it will be a great experience when you look back.

If you really really really just must be a Doc though, I'd go the Navy Corpsman route.

Quote Originally Posted by CarriO View Post
    All I have to say is, there were two things that I didn't want to do in the Marine Corps: Be a mechanic, or work with computers. And guess what my job is? I'm a freaking system administrator. I work with computers ALL DAY LONG. I got put in a job that I didn't want to do for 5 years, and I couldn't be happier. Being a Marine is probably one of the best decisions anyone could ever make. I watched the other services throughout MOS school, and they just don't measure up to the high standards of the Marine Corps. And they know it. That's why when we walk on the sidewalk, everyone else moves for US. Haha. It's kind of funny actually. But seriously though, if you haven't quit the DEP yet, I'd really think about it first, because being a Marine is truly an honor and a privilege if you can get through boot. It will be one of the most maturing and life changing experiences of your life. Don't get me wrong, it's not always perfect, and there will be some bullcrap you will have to put up with. But it is what it is, and it will be a great experience when you look back.

If you really really really just must be a Doc though, I'd go the Navy Corpsman route.

NOW THATS SOME GOOD ADVICE RIGHT THERE........NAVY CORPSMAN HAVE MY UTMOST RESPECT AND ALWAYS HAD MY PROTECTION WHEN THEY WERE IN MY UNIT....

seriously... why does everyone want infantry?! pick another job... I know too many grunts who hate their decision because they were too damn smart for it...

I find that statement pretty offensive. I've found on this website that whenever a grunt says anything about another MOS, everyone who wasn't infantry gets all butt hurt and they slam the guy who said it. I'm not saying that is not a correct response, but then i've also seen people say things like this about us infantryman and no one seems to care. You had your job and i'm sure you did it well. I also had a job and believe I did it equally as well , and I also believe I had to be a little past complete dumbass to do it.

We'll see how much he loves the infantry during field week in boot, during the humps, or during the crucible. I've seen guys that signed up to go infantry that just could not hack it in the field. It's not all glam and glory once your really there. You'll see how much your really into being a grunt when your stinky, tired, haven't showered for a week and your cammies are stiff with stale sweat. And if he does end up going into our Corps as a non-infantry MOS I bet somewhere around half way through MCT he'll think, man I'm glad I'm not a grunt.

Im going to the Marine Corps office tomorrow. SSgt said he might be able to give me 0300 in the Marine Corps. I want to be a Marine but infantry is where my heart is at. As much as I want to be a Marine, I want something I could be proud to do and like to do.

Zulu 36, those IST scores havent been updated in quite some time. I took a break from the forums. In the beginning I didnt "really" want to be "airborne medic". But with thoughts of backing out and doing some research on the Army I would have picked airborne medic. The wording of that post made it sound like I wanted it. But in reality I want infantry, medic was just a bonus that I can deal without.

SSgt Petzold, I remember you too. My friends brother is airborne medic and he said they need them. When I think about it, it is fear of the unknown. I never did any mechanic work and I was never interested in it one bit. I don't hate it but its not a career I would happiley pursue. 5 years is just a long time to just cross your fingers and pray your going to like it.

GyC, I expected a lot of ****, just like I expected **** from my recruiter when I informed him of my thoughts, but it looks like there might be a chance of me getting 0300 tomorrow. If I get an 0300 contract and still leave on August 10th theres not much more for me to say other than I respect you and all Marines, you're something I wish to become.
    Well, when you talk with people, sometimes they work to resolve the issue at hand... LOL... Kind of my point... If you want to be a Marine, then you'll be one... I of course understand the importance of doing something that you enjoy or desire, but personally I'd scrape sh^t off the latrine as a Marine before I'd even think on putting a Doggie uniform on... Good luck with your situation...

Thread Information