Sorry, I know there is a sticky...
Create Post

Sorry, I know there is a sticky...

I just want to state I know there is a sticky posted 06-18-10, 03:31 AM and I wouldn't be posting this if I didn't get such different answers.

A few weeks ago I started calling my local recruiters asking the age old question. "If I have 15 college credits and NO diploma will that still qualify me for tier 1?"

The first place I called said this "That's a good question. I'd trying calling a college and asking them. I'm just not sure."

The second place said "No, you need 22 credits."

The third place said "Yeah, 15 works, but I don't think you'll be tier 1 and I don't think you can sign up under the UZ contract."

Alright, so here is my actual question. Since it's been a year since that sticky has been posted is there a chance the credit limit was raised from 15 to 22? Does it differ from state to state? Like how every state requires a different amount of credits to get your diploma. My main question is if 15 credits is still the minimum amount of credits needed to enlist and if I will be able to enlist under the UZ contract?

If anyone can shed some light on this subject that'd be great.

Thank you for your time,
    Andrew D.

My understanding is 15 credits & GED = Tier 2, but I could be wrong. Do some google searches. There's a lot of info there.

I PM'd a recruiter, so see if he has the opportunity to respond.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    My understanding is 15 credits & GED = Tier 2, but I could be wrong. Do some google searches. There's a lot of info there.

I PM'd a recruiter, so see if he has the opportunity to respond.
    The 15 college credit hours must be 100 level course work or higher. Plus the GED. Then a waiver.

I know this has nothing to do with your questions, but how about filling out more of your profile besides a first and last name.....site rules, which can be found in the poolee and Ask A Marine forums.

I did search google. I keep coming up with 15 college credits = Tier 1. No GED, no Waiver. Just 15 credits and you are good to go. It's just when I called to ask the recruiters I got a three very different answers.

In the sticky about this at the bottom it states:

Addendum:

Per SSgt A, currently (21 June '11) on Recruiting duty, regarding 15 credits:

"Tier I applicants do not need an education waiver. After 15 college credits, you become tier I. If an applicant who is already a tier I (regular high school graduate or higher) has 15 or more college credits with a GPA of 2.2 or higher, then that applicant will rate a promotion.

It doesn't matter if you never went to school a day in your life prior to college. Once you get 15 credits, you are golden."

To me that means if I have 15 college credits, NO GED, and NO Waiver I am still considered Tier 1 as long as I have 15 college credits - nothing else. Right?

Sorry if I'm being a broken record it's just so far I've gotten five different answers from five different people. Three of them being recruiters.

That is correct, (what the SSgt, who is a recruiter) posted. Remember, most recruiters, though, don't deal with this all that much, which is likely why you are getting multiple answers. The OTHER reason is that you are doing it over the phone. Recruiters aren't going to take you very seriously over the phone.

Present yourself to the nearest RS, ALL paperwork in hand, and you'll likely get a far more concrete answer.

Haha again I was told something different :/ When I was doing my calling around I asked if it would be a good idea if I just came in and talk to a recruiter in person and the guy on the phone said the recruiter doesn't even want to talk to me unless I either have my diploma, or the 15 credits and basically ready to enlist.

Thank you, Sgt Leprechaun. That's all I needed to know. I'm going to take
    your advice and walk into a RS with all my paper work and go from there.

Thanks again for all your time.

Last edited by Rasdafunk; 12-28-11 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Post showed html.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasdafunk View Post
    "Tier I applicants do not need an education waiver. After 15 college credits, you become tier I. If an applicant who is already a tier I (regular high school graduate or higher) has 15 or more college credits with a GPA of 2.2 or higher, then that applicant will rate a promotion.

It doesn't matter if you never went to school a day in your life prior to college. Once you get 15 credits, you are golden."
    Hot damn that's a good answer

A lot of things are being changed right now. Get in while you can.

Thread Information