Military Police, Marine Corps Style - what's it like?
Create Post

Military Police, Marine Corps Style - what's it like?

Hey Leathernecks,

My name is Poolee Nikoley and I enlisted in March, and still in process of choosing a job. My two main choices are Intel and MP, and I have a few questions about Military Police.

1 - What is the best job to have under MP? My opinion has always been Dog Handler, but I'd love to hear other answers.

2 - What is traveling like for MP? The locations? Do you get to choose your base, depending on how well you do in the classes?

3 - In the civilian world, how well does MP look on one's resume? What kinda jobs can you land? (If I don't serve the full 20+ years)

4 - Off topic, but how does Embassy Duty work? Is it a really good gig to land if chosen?

5 - My situation is that I've been in the enlistment process since September of '15. It's been a 6 month wait, and to go for Intel would be another 6 months. When choosing between MP (leaving in June of this year) versus choosing Intel (leaving in October), is Intel worth the wait? I know that it is the best MOS to have in the Corps. If I get MP this time around, I'm thinking about switching to Intel the second. Thoughts??

Every comment/answer helps. 'Rah!

Similar Threads:

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Lots of questions at one time. Did you use the search box at the top right corner of the page ? What did your recruiter say when you asked ?

Go Intel. It converts better $$$ back in civilian life.

Looking at a few of the MP threads right now. My Recruiting Station's head SSGT is trying to get me out, sooner the better. I'm in a temp living situation. What are your thoughts on the other Q's?

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My thoughts are you're all over the place with your questions and no sense of direction.

Your looking to leave right away because you are in a temp living arrangement ? That's no reason to enlist in the Marine Corps.

So you want to know about MP, Dog Handler, Embassy Duty, Intel ???

What did your recruiter say when you asked him/her about all of these different MOS ' ?

Roll the dice if you can't decide and go in tomorrow on an " Open Contract ".

You won't be eligible for embassy duty till you pick up Lance Corporal. No need to even consider it right now. To search it here, search for "MSG" or "MSG duty".

Everyone wants to be a dog handler. What would be cooler than working with a dog every day for your job. There are only a handful in the entire USMC so good luck getting one of those jobs.

FYI. One cannot enlist to be a MP. You can enlist for a 58XX program. That program includes MP and corrections (prison guard). The USMC will choose which one you get (not you nor your recruiter). Your recruiter will break it down for you - make sure you understand before signing a contract. You also need to understand there are two types of MP's (garrison and tactical). The USMC will decide which one you become. Your recruiter can explain the difference between the two.

One does not just switch MOS's. The USMC will have a lot of time and money invested in your training for your primary MOS. Switching to something else may be possible, but there are a lot of rules involved so, it is not anything one can plan on doing. Normally, making a lateral move to a different MOS is done in conjunction with reenlisting (as an incentive to stay in instead of getting out).

Thanks Tennessee Top - that's a lot of helpful info, especially when it comes to MP. I've been getting a lot of different advice/opinion on it so far. And the MOS's part is a big help too. Recruiters say we can easily switch, but others that are out of the service say otherwise. Were you also MP? I see a lot of security positions in your background, did you enjoy them?

Rocky - The temp living situation is not why I enlisted, not at all! Sorry to make it seem that way. I enlisted because I want to be a Marine. That living situation is just incentive to choose a job that may help to leave earlier. I wanted to see if MP is worth leaving Intel for.

Last edited by Rocky C; 04-22-16 at 08:43 AM.

No. Never was a MP.

Recruiters say a lot of things to get contracts signed (that's their job after all). Not saying they lie. They have nothing to do with switching MOS's as that happens much later in one's contract. That is all handled by unit Career Planners and the Manpower Management folks at Headquarters, Marine Corps based on the needs of the USMC at that time (another thing Recruiters have no way of predicting years in advance - so how can they say if it will be easy or not).

Yes. I enjoyed security work. Based on that experience (plus my security clearances and networking), had opportunities to continue working in industrial security after I retired (here in the states and overseas). But, decided to go in another direction and went into healthcare instead (don't regret that decision).

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Niko View Post

Rocky - The temp living situation is not why I enlisted, not at all! Sorry to make it seem that way. I enlisted because I want to be a Marine. That living situation is just incentive to choose a job that may help to leave earlier. I wanted to see if MP is worth leaving Intel for.
    I'm sorry, that's the way I took it in your post.

Only you can decide. I can only give you my opinion and experience.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted please what you decided.

Thread Information