A Lot of Questions...
Create Post

A Lot of Questions...

Hi everyone! First and foremost, thank you all for your service to this great country. My name is Nick and I'll be attending Miami University in the Fall. I just have a few questions about the path to becoming a Marine and more specifically a Marine Corps Officer.

First off, I'm dead nuts set on my goal of becoming a Marine. I work on becoming more physically prepared every day. I've talked to the local recruiter who then redirected me to the nearest OSO, who I went and met with. Unfortunately, they won't be the OSO in charge of the Miami University area so I have to wait to get down there before making my plans "official." I think the Marine Corps is the best fit because I look at the veterans that come from the Marines and they're very different from veterans from the other branches. For instance, veterans from the other branches tend to say "I used to be in the *insert branch*", but every Marine veteran I've talked to says that they are a Marine. I love that the brotherhood never weakens. On top of that, if I want to serve my country, I want to do it 100%, not 99%, and the Marine Corps seems to be the branch that fits that (not in any way meant to offend veterans of other service branches).

Anyway, I plan on majoring in Diplomacy and Global Politics and will be going up to the 300 level in Arabic. Miami has an NROTC program, but I'm not sure whether I want to apply for the PLC program or ROTC. So my first question is what is your guys' advice on PLC vs ROTC?

My career goal is to get into the 02XX Mos's. I've researched all of the intel career MOS's and they all really intrigue me. I know that my class standing in TBS determines when I get to choose my MOS and I have a feeling those get swept up pretty quick, but this leads to my second question: Any Marines that have been in the 02 MOS's, what's it actually like? No article on the Internet can make up for hearing it from someone with experience.

Lastly, in my Freshmen year of high school we had a school shooting that left 3 people dead and 1 person paralyzed for life. I was about 30 feet away from the entire thing and watched a lot of it unfold. I feel like I handled myself pretty well in the aftermath of it. How well does this relate to combat, if at all?

Thank you all so much in advance for the time to answer my questions. I really do appreciate it.

Nick

Similar Threads:

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Lastly, in my Freshmen year of high school we had a school shooting that left 3 people dead and 1 person paralyzed for life. I was about 30 feet away from the entire thing and watched a lot of it unfold. I feel like I handled myself pretty well in the aftermath of it. How well does this relate to combat, if at all?
    Sorry to hear this.....it relates to an idiot with a gun....school or street violence.....although you will remember it for life....combat is a whole different ballgame that cannot really be explained unless you been there.

As far as school and officer goes lookup an OSO and go SEE them ! Good luck!

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    PLC > NROTC.....in my opinion, unless you get a NROTC scholarship. PLC leaves you with more options eg. ground, air, or law contracts

I cant answer anything about the 02 field as I have no working knowledge of it

That's horrible to hear about the shooting, I don't mean to downgrade what happened to you with that but comparing it to combat is apples to oranges.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Sorry to hear this.....it relates to an idiot with a gun....school or street violence.....although you will remember it for life....combat is a whole different ballgame that cannot really be explained unless you been there.

As far as school and officer goes lookup an OSO and go SEE them ! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    PLC > NROTC.....in my opinion, unless you get a NROTC scholarship. PLC leaves you with more options eg. ground, air, or law contracts

I cant answer anything about the 02 field as I have no working knowledge of it

That's horrible to hear about the shooting, I don't mean to downgrade what happened to you with that but comparing it to combat is apples to oranges.
    not sure if the format for this reply will work or not but I tried quoting both you guys. But thanks for the advice! And especially thanks for the words on the shooting! Wasn't sure if it would relate whatsoever or if I could use that scenario to mentally prepare myself or not. But you answered my exact questions. Thanks so much!

Thread Information