MOS 0331 (Machine Gunner) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I will find it and read it. I am working on Fields of Fire right now and I just finished Jarhead (book = better than movie)

Thanks man

well my first deployment nothing but a 240. second deployment we had humvees and had to support ourselves on convoys. there i manned a heavy gun. once we arrived at our temporary fob we detached the heavy guns put them on the roof for security. we then ran foot patrolls with the 240. it all depends on your units objective and mission. you wont be on anything but a humvee or foot. either way i loved being an 0331 and having the biggest gun on patrols. im sure youll find the enjoyment and love for the mos as i did

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    well that clears up the question of other APC's thank you. I am anxious to get to boot, and am attempting to pursue the PLC afterwards. If Successful I will still pursue a career as an infantry officer even though I have heard this is diffiicult to obtain.

I was an 0331 and I loved it.

the thing most people dont know about 31's, thouse guys only really deal with medium and heavy machine guns (i.e. crew served weapons) so they are really more of a supportive role for the 11's. Unless you really want to be humping .50 cal parts(trust me you dont) just go in as an 11 and ask for a saw.

Every MOS supports 0311s . But with all truth without 11s you wouldn't be able to do much in the infantry. And without 31, 41, 51, and 52s the 0311s wouldn't really be able to do anything. That's the great thing about the Corps. Without one MOS all the others wouldn't suceed. Without your Admin no one gets paid which equals "Screw this I'm going home." Without Comm your getting mortars dropped on your position and can't do anything about it or you get in a tight spot and can't get an airstrike or a MEDVAC and that means Marines will die. You can compare any MOS this way just in different situations. One job may be harder than someone elses but no matter what without them all we wouldn't have s*#@!

31s are supergrunts. Our mission is to support the forward progress of the rifle platoons in an firefight.
    In Iraq your probably not going to be performing just the tasks of a 31. Youll mostly be be an 11, sometimes depending on the mission ( cordon, vcp, cp,) you and your fireteam may have machine gun roll. Either way youll have fun.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    As an Infantry SNCO 0369 my primary MOS was 0311,however I was a Machine Gun Section Leader for a time as a SNCO. The teams for the M-60 were the Gunner,A Gunner and Ammo Men. They were attached to the line platoons. Depending on the mission and how many teams needed or to be deployed at the Company Commander,Plt Commander or Plt Sergeants discretion.

If memory serves me the gunner carries the M-60 and the rest carry the spare barrel,tripod,and ammo. Ammo was also distributed throughout the infantry squads so one man or two did not bear the brunt of the weight. I cannot remember the T/O weapon but I believe the gunner had a .45 cal and rest carried M16's.

As far as 03 MOS as a whole..... goes ALL 03's do the same basic thing....defeat the enemy and accomplish the mission by fire and maneuver.

Reading is great knowledge but remember war and conflict is not text book or manual..EACH situation is different and ALL are subject to change.

Thumbs down Try again....

Quote Originally Posted by JordanB
    the thing most people dont know about 31's, thouse guys only really deal with medium and heavy machine guns (i.e. crew served weapons) so they are really more of a supportive role for the 11's. Unless you really want to be humping .50 cal parts(trust me you dont) just go in as an 11 and ask for a saw.

I assume you are speaking from first hand experience being with a line unit or weapons company as an 0331... if not, you have no clue what you are talking about and this is so far from the truth of what being a 0331 is even like.

So try again shower shoe.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Permission to ask what a shower shoe is sir?

and while 0311's get the hollywood glory I am contracted and pumped to go as a 0331, I have a feeling they get into the **** just as much as anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sway
    Permission to ask what a shower shoe is sir?

and while 0311's get the hollywood glory I am contracted and pumped to go as a 0331, I have a feeling they get into the **** just as much as anyone else.
    Permission Denied. Just our Marines are being Marines.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Permission Denied.
    DAMN!

Sway,without answering your question....because the good Sgt. denied it...I will tell you that a "shower shoe" if it safe to say is one step above "whale shiat"!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There seems to be a misconception about 31's carrying a saw. Generally they don't. The saw was designed to put a light machine gun in an infantry squad and carried by 11's. The 203 was designed to put a light mortar in the hands of an infantry rifle squad. Doesn't mean that there aren't saw's and 203's in weapons platoons or companys but they were specifically designed to be carried by rifle squads.

Hello everyone, Semper Fi, Former 0331 here, I have a quick question being I have a lil memory problem, what is the mission statement of the 0331, I remember something like, ....seek and destroy by high volume of fire???

thanks Stay Safe, brothers, "Guns Up!!"

FATAL VISION,
    Is it this: The mission of the Marine Corps Rifle Squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver, or to repel the enemy’s assault by fire and close-combat.

Thread Information