boot camp myths?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

boot camp myths?

ok so my dad was a marine around 30 years ago and now i am trying to get him and my mom to sign for me. we got into a fight that people get beat up a lot in boot camp by the other recruits. he also said that most people go in because they have no where else to turn. he was in the reserves so he dosent know what its like after boot camp. can anybody tell me if its changed since then. thanks for the help.

Justin,
    LN.com has a policy of requiring all people to fill out a complete profile prior to asking questions. Site rules can be found in the poolee or Ask a Marine Forums. Please fill out your profile or we will either lock or delete your post.

After it is filled out, I am sure many of the Marines here will be happy to answer your question.

Justin I went to boot Camp in 1973 no one got beat up by the recruits I ahd a lot of things I could have done BUT I always wanted to join I was 17 at the time I went to Boot Camp

Quote Originally Posted by JustinPlog View Post
    ok so my dad was a marine around 30 years ago and now i am trying to get him and my mom to sign for me. we got into a fight that people get beat up a lot in boot camp by the other recruits. he also said that most people go in because they have no where else to turn. he was in the reserves so he dosent know what its like after boot camp. can anybody tell me if its changed since then. thanks for the help.
    Not true,Semper Fidelis.

Went to boot camp in '78. No one got "beat up." However, you are talking about 70 to 80 mostly 17-18 year old kids in a barracks living together for 3 months. Stuff happens, tempers can flare, but "beat up," no, didn't happen.

I wouldn't argue with your parents about it. Ultimatley you want them to support your decision, so if at all possible, sit down and explain why you want to join, what your goals are, etc. My son wants to join when he is old enough. I am not sure I am totally on board with that idea, especially under the present administration. I joined during the Carter era, and it stunk, but things change in the early '80s under Reagan and even the country's view of the military gradually improved.

They probably have other goals for you, like college, etc. Talk with them, work it out. Push come to shove, when you're 18, you'll be an adult and can decide yourself.

I went thru 29 years ago and never saw or heard about any fights, most people are to concerned about graduating.

The only time I got beat up in boot camp was by my drill instructor, a young corporal. He punched me in the stomach inside the duty hut. I think he broke a finger...

Reserves are not Active duty...And that is really insulting that he thinks me and my brothers and sisters joined the Marine Corps because we had no where else to go. Those people go to the Army by the way. And if you are worried about getting beat up, don't do nothing stupid and you wont have to worry about it, besides it really mainly a mental party. The mind is always, always, stronger then the body.

http://signatures.myarmedforces.com/...png?1327568218

Recruit Training started slipping in 1956 with the Ribbon Creek problem and has been slipping away more and more.

It's a myth. They don't tolerate that kind of thing. The DI's aren't even allowed to hit you or lay a hand on you anymore.

Your father may be reminiscing about what is known as a "blanket party." Perhaps he was involved in one?
    Best i could tell: DI's - in boot camp - and NCO's - in the fleet - are rarely witness to these events. They damn sure happened in his era.

he also said that most people go in because they have no where else to turn.
    Don't know about 'most people' but many Marines are made because civilian life was looking grim

Well it isn't like the Old Corp like in '69. The Drill Instructors sometimes had to straighten you out with a little motivation. And the only time someone got "beat up" was a guy at the range who couldn't hit his target. But after his little party the night before he qualified. No todays Corps is a little bit different. And if you want to be pampered join the Navy or the Army.

Credits
    Savings
    Agree with all above
    MOTIVATION
    CORRECTIONAL ACTION
    PEER PRESSURE

All are accurate
    Beat up ? What ya talkin bout Willis ?

I went to bootcamp over twenty years ago, and they sometimes motivated us with forearm shivers, knee's to the thigh/lower chest area, and other enhanced motivational techniques. But they never hit any of us in the face. You always deserved it. And like they said and was proved -- with pain comes improvement.

There was occasional fights in the platoon, but usually they ended quickly and were nothing personal.

As far as it being a place for those with nowhere else to turn -- Kids going in today know their is a war, multiple conflicts going on, and the odds of them being downrange in their tour is good, so, it's kind of a slap in the face to say they are going in because there is nowhere for them to go -- they are going in because they are Patriots.

Good luck

While nothing so serious happened in my company, I have heard some stories from other companies, but they seem largely blown out of proportion. Do fights happen occasionally? Sure, but you better believe the Drill Instructors will be there to break it up within seconds of it starting. It isn't like how it used to be. Drill Instructors are held accountable for any injury you sustain, especially if it was because of negligence on their part. If you saw our Drill Instructor's face when our Guide blacked out for a few seconds because because of an allergic reaction, you would understand what I mean.

Thread Information