A Few Questions From a Potential Marine
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

A Few Questions From a Potential Marine

Im currently a senior at FSU and I'm seriously considering going to OCS when I graduate. Of course this is a big descision so I have some questions for those of you who have made that journey.

My girlfriend and I are planning to get married soon, so of course she is very concerned. Shes worried that Ill be gone for 4 years and only get to see her a few days a year, not to mention the fact that theres a possibility that I may not come back.

-So my first question is how long, on average, I could expect to be deployed?

-Is there a set maximum number of days per year that one could be deployed?

-Is there a set maximum number of times that one could be deployed during my time in the service?

-What is an officers life like when not on deployment? Meaning, what kind of daily routine, if any, could I expect when not deployed?

-Of course how much do officers generally earn in a year? Ive looked at the pay scales online, however they are a bit confusing since I have limited knowledge of the Marine rank system.

These are just a few of the questions that I have. I know alot of you will probably tell me to speak to a recruiter, but I want to have a better understanding of what to expect before I take that step. I signed up for the Air Force right out of highschool, but I chose not to go before my ship out date, so I've already been thru the whole recruiting process and I know how recruiters are (at least the one I had, they try to sell you the moon and pretty much say/do anything to get an enlistment).

Thank you, any help would be greatly appreciated.

After you fill out your profile I am sure you will get more answers than you expected.

Credits
    Savings
    Sorry, it has been updated

Also belongs in the Recruit Area....Now I would suggest to READ and Digest the RULES in the Poolee Hall.....

I will move now.......

There is a world of information in the below site for OCS, there are only a few Officers on here.

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't know if degrees from Florida State University count.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by temarti View Post
    There is a world of information in the below site for OCS, there are only a few Officers on here.

http://www.marineocs.com/portal/index.php
    Thanks for the link, lots of good info there. I'd still like to hear some input from the Marines on this site if you have any.

Credits
    Savings
    Zulu 36-I take it your'e not a Nole fan?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmr07g View Post
    Zulu 36-I take it your'e not a Nole fan?

Not really. I prefer UMich, but in Florida I go with the Gators.

Don't tell my neighbor though, he's an old FSU football player, Pooh Bear Williams.

Credits
    Savings
    I remember Pooh Bear. Ive always wondered whats been going on with him since he left.

Credits
    Savings
    FSU v LSU Saturday out to be a good game.

NOW, go see a Marine Officer Recruiter.

Big Al...that's the Florida Gators vs LSU this Saturday, not FSU.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kmr07g View Post
    I remember Pooh Bear. Ive always wondered whats been going on with him since he left.
    He went to the NFL and played with Buffalo. But he is a small town guy and missed his family and hated the big city. He's a teacher at the high school here (his home town) and coaches the backs on the HS team. He is quite a laid back guy.

He is married and has three kids. His two sons play with my boy all of the time. Pooh Bear has a blocking sled at his house and teaches the three boys how to be running backs and teaches them basketball (which he is pretty darned good at considering his size). He also coaches BB at the local YMCA.

Pooh Bear and I have a deal. If he ever gets really angry at me, he has to shoot me, because getting shot can't hurt as much as getting hit with those huge hands of his.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    He went to the NFL and played with Buffalo. But he is a small town guy and missed his family and hated the big city. He's a teacher at the high school here (his home town) and coaches the backs on the HS team. He is quite a laid back guy.

He is married and has three kids. His two sons play with my boy all of the time. Pooh Bear has a blocking sled at his house and teaches the three boys how to be running backs and teaches them basketball (which he is pretty darned good at considering his size). He also coaches BB at the local YMCA.

Pooh Bear and I have a deal. If he ever gets really angry at me, he has to shoot me, because getting shot can't hurt as much as getting hit with those huge hands of his.
    LOL...you know he was a real player if he's got a blocking sled...in his house!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 0231Marine View Post
    LOL...you know he was a real player if he's got a blocking sled...in his house!
    Oh, he's still a scary guy when he has a football in his hands. Sometimes during the summer, he'll have a BBQ (combined with a clinic) at his place for defensive and offensive backs on the HS football team. There is a field behind my house big enough to line up a squad, someone will play quarterback (handoffs only), Pooh Bear will run the ball, and ten teenagers can't bring him down. It's a riot to watch.

Thread Information