Fat ass with a deadline.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Fat ass with a deadline.

Hi. I am 18 years old, 6'5" and i weigh 280. I need to get my weight down to about 225 real soon. Like 4 months. Lately i have been doing AM/PMs running a mile, pull ups, push ups, sit ups. Is there anything else i can do to lose weight and decrease my run time. I am enlisting at the end of this semester, and will probably be heading to Basic sometime mid summer. Please help, i am very motivated, and ready to work hard to get it off.

Quote Originally Posted by jes0420 View Post
    Hi. I am 18 years old, 6'5" and i weigh 280. I need to get my weight down to about 225 real soon. Like 4 months. Lately i have been doing AM/PMs running a mile, pull ups, push ups, sit ups. Is there anything else i can do to lose weight and decrease my run time. I am enlisting at the end of this semester, and will probably be heading to Basic sometime mid summer. Please help, i am very motivated, and ready to work hard to get it off.
    Consume less calories and/or burn more calories than you take in. Simple.

Oh, and it's not basic in the USMC -- it is boot camp and if you don't lose the weight your way,,, you will really regret their way. But really, you are not gonna even sniff the grinder at bootcamp unless you shed some serious pounds beforehand.

Good luck. I imagine the weed doesn't help with your appetite.

Credits
    Savings
    First, i don't smoke weed. And what does "sniff the grinder" mean? Do you think i can do this?

Don't eat anything white!!! Bread, Pasta, Rice, pototoes, etc. They are filled with carbs and it makes it hard to lose weight. Try walking instead of running, less strain on your knees. Walk very fast (I used to walk a 11 - 13 minute mile - tore my hamstring doing it...but continued to walk everyday afterwards, just a little slower.)
    Try to walk at least 4 miles/day at least 3 times a week. I dropped 30 pounds in 2 months (healthy) with my doctor's blessings.

Good Luck!

Credits
    Savings

Sniffing the ..........

Grinder means you won't even see a grinder ( marching/pebble grinder) until you lose the tonnage ! Gary/Moz 68-70 USMC

Do you think i can do this?
    No, I do not think you can do this. And I also don't think it is a coincidence that part of your screen name is code for smoking weed.

1. No profile filled out.
    2. Funny screename.
    3. Odd questions.
    4. Just joined the site.

=TROLL

You think we are dummies.

Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    4/20 is my birthday. Thanks for the encouragement. I am meeting with my recruiter tomorrow to set up my plan. Do you honestly think that i would be smoking weed while trying to get in shape for the Marine Corps? I am not retarded, contrary to popular belief.

That's a lot of weight to drop in a relatively short time - but you're a big guy and it ought to drop off faster than for someone 180 pounds.

1. Cut out all sodas, energy drinks, etc -- go for water, unsweetened tea, black coffee if you are so inclined.

2. No booze / beer (see number 1) / no McDonalds or fast food / no fried food / no processed food

3. Eat less as the day progresses - as in breakfast is your protein meal, night time is fruit/veggies.

4. Multiple workouts throughout the day - minimum of 20 to 30 minutes of hard cardio each workout. Try to do them immediately preceeding your meals (you'll eat less).

5. Your goal is to keep your metabolism up throughout the day - so a 20 to 30 minute cardio workout, 4 or 5 times a day will do you more good than a 2 hour workout.

Running a mile isn't going to cut it by itself. What's your 1 mile time?

For an intense cardio you'll need to hit the exercise bike, run stadium steps, hit the eliptical, run sprints, jump rope, run hills, etc. 20 minutes of elevated heart rate. Do one of these PLUS your run - and start working your run up to a mile and a half and then two and then two and a half, etc...

Sweat isn't the answer - you're big guy, so you'll sweat a lot regardless of the intensity of your workout. So don't worry about wearing multiple sweatsuits and such - the goal is to fire up your heart rate / metabolism and keep it up throughout the day.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much for the pointers, 03Mike. Are you saying that i should cut the pushups, sit ups and pullups? or just add this other stuff to it? The only thing that is convenient for me would be running hills. So ill probably start doin that. Should i do this in the morning, or evening. So far all vie been doing is quickly walking 2 miles a day on a tread mill, which makes it really hard to tell you what my actual mile time is. But the roads are starting to clear off in my town so i will be able to monitor stuff like that. Again thank you for the encouragement and the tips, and not being a jackass like this other guy.

Again thank you for the encouragement and the tips, and not being a jackass like this other guy.
    I'd be very careful on calling a Marine a jackass their young man.
    I suggest you grow some thick skin. If you can't handle some criticism on the internet, then you won't be able to handle it in the Marine Corps, that is.......if you make it through boot camp.

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftballCatch23 View Post
    I'd be very careful on calling a Marine a jackass their young man.
    I suggest you grow some thick skin. If you can't handle some criticism on the internet, then you won't be able to handle it in the Marine Corps, that is.......if you make it through boot camp.

Credits
    Savings
    Trust me, I have thick skin. I was being facetious in that the guy thought i was a stoner because of my screen name, when in the same post he also stated that he had viewed my profile which clearly displays my birthday. And I WILL make it through Boot Camp. Thank you guys for the help.

Credits
    Savings
    Also just so you guys know, i'm not some flabby pansy ass that just ate and drank myself into a fatty. I am a very muscular football player. If i lost about 25 pounds i would not look overweight at all.

Credits
    Savings

Team mates

Also just so you guys know, i'm not some flabby pansy ass that just ate and drank myself into a fatty. I am a very muscular football player. If i lost about 25 pounds i would not look overweight at all.

do team mates bust chops ? The Corps is a team, we/they I bust chops ! that is the way it is ! Chill Bubba ! Moz P.S. been out for quite a long time, but my guess is if your a football player you should be in pretty good cond. I don't fore see you being a fatbody in Bootcamp? but that is just my opinion.

Are you saying that i should cut the pushups, sit ups and pullups? or just add this other stuff to it?
    Add it in.

The only thing that is convenient for me would be running hills. So ill probably start doin that. Should i do this in the morning, or evening.
    I'd recommend both - I figured that you're a ball player, so you know what I mean when I say that you need to get your metabolism up with strong cardio workouts. Looking at your goal, and what you have to do, consider this as August two-a-days... and then add at least one more workout.

Don't mean to be condescending, but convenience will need to take a back seat if you want to make your goal. You'll drop 20-25 pounds pretty quickly on this workout -- the next 10 pounds will be much tougher.

So far all vie been doing is quickly walking 2 miles a day on a tread mill, which makes it really hard to tell you what my actual mile time is. But the roads are starting to clear off in my town so i will be able to monitor stuff like that.
    This kind of treadmill workout isn't going to get you where you need to be -- a fast walk on the treadmill for two miles might be a decent start to your workout, but it can't be the primary cardio portion of yoru workout. If you're stuck inside (I'm figuring at your school or fitness center) consider running steps, or running gassers in the gym (shuttle run / touch & goes / etc).

If you're still lifting weights, I'd recommend cutting back significantly if not completely and focus on your body weight exercises (pull ups, push ups, dips, crunches). Football workouts in the weight room are about building bulk - that's the last thing you need right now. I played Division 1-AA college ball at 35-40 pounds heavier than my active duty weight, so I have some experience here (though I was never your size).

Again thank you for the encouragement and the tips,
    You're welcome

[quote]and not being a jackass like this other guy. [\quote]

We see all kinds here, sincere and otherwise - and most of these Marines are naturally skeptical for a reason. 99% want to help those who are sincere - that's why we spend time on this site, but we all have a pretty low tolerence for BS - or for investing the time to figure out if someone is BSing or not.

Learn to take this kind of stuff in stride, because generally (and I'll be blunt) no one gives a sh!t if you're offended or not - and they damn sure won't care when you hit MCRD. Log that lesson away now, and it'll pay dividends once you get to boot camp.

Good luck - and keep your eyes focused on your goal.

Thread Information