Series of Questions from a future Marine! - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Just found this website. It has some good tips: http://www.helpguide.org/life/healthy_eating_diet.htm . And I'm sure you can find all the information you could ever need about eating healthy on the internet.

But yes, breakfast is an important part of jump starting your metabolism. Just eating regularly is important. I heard someone suggest you should eat 4 times a day, every 4 hours. Now, that's not to say you should eat 4 MEALS a day. Eat a smart breakfast lunch and dinner and two snacks like fruit or yogurt.

As everyone knows, soda is very bad for you. You say you're drinking a lot of water, which is great. Another alternative is tea. Crystal Light also makes some great powders you just mix with water. If you can always do water, great. But sometimes I need some flavor in my drink.

Hard boiled eggs have been great for me in the morning. I boil up a dozen on Sunday night and I just grab a couple each morning throughout the week. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on them and they are a quick, easy breakfast on the go. Add a banana or an orange and some steel cut oatmeal and you got yourself a great breakfast.

Beyond that, just eat smart. Eat whole grains as opposed to processed flour. Avoid sugar. Replenish your body with water and fruit as opposed to energy drinks. Eat plenty of vegetables. Portion size is important to keep in mind, but it's not about JUST eating less calories.

Working out in the morning instead of later in the day is also a good idea because working out speeds up your metabolism and releases energy for you throughout the day.

If you can't run by your house or at school, you could find a city park, trails or drive out to a country road. Even if all you have is a back yard you can do sprints from one side to the other. If you have a second floor or a basement in your house running stairs is great. If you have a lake in your town go swim for a while on a hot day. Sure, running in place will burn calories, but I'll bet you can find some kind of cardio to do if you thought about it hard enough.

The good news is you are young. If you really want to join the Marine Corps you have plenty of time to get in shape before you're too old.

Good comments above and I'll add a few others.

I work out in the morning (free weights) because I'm retired now.
    (no hate mail please).
    Too much running can deplete muscle mass so careful scrutiny of one's *macros* can become critical depending on one's goals.
    Just be aware and educate the self.
    'Soda'...that sh!t is poison and empty calories...think of it as a very infrequent treat at best.
    Hard boiled eggs are great for any easy protein fix/replenishment especially for those that have a hard time eating in the morning.
    Personally, my breakfast is a generous bowl of oatmeal with blueberries (frozen) and some coconut sprinkled (also generously) on top.
    Cereals...the best ones are oatmeal, shredded wheat and even Cheerios (not that sugared sh!t) is an acceptable morning carb.
    Workout times?...any time is good to work out as our bio clocks are all different.
    The important aspect of working out (free weights) is to understand that feeding the muscles appropriately within an hour or so of the workout is very important.
    Cardio...I hate cardio but there is still one form of good cardio that I partake in.
    It's a 3 letter word for you thinkers.

I will suggest checking this thread in which I offer some comments:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=103475

Anyway...hope that helps.

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    We had a recruit in boot camp named Price. Even in 1967, I dont see how he got in. Way,way over weight. Needless to say, he was put on the elephant table. The man could do absolutely no pull ups, very few sit-ups, or anything else. The D.I.s had a field day with him every day. He sucked it up, and never once gave up. He went on and graduated P.F.C. out of boot camp. The man lost 54 pounds in 2 months. And evert time I think about how tough it was for me. I think about how tough it was for him. The man had a burning desire to be a Marine. He had guts.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    @iamsparticus and @chulaivet1966:

Thank You! Those are very helpful comments indeed! I am very appreciative of the support! I will be a Marine! I will use the link to form a plan in the next few mins and will input them here...

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    We had a recruit in boot camp named Price. Even in 1967, I dont see how he got in. Way,way over weight. Needless to say, he was put on the elephant table. The man could do absolutely no pull ups, very few sit-ups, or anything else. The D.I.s had a field day with him every day. He sucked it up, and never once gave up. He went on and graduated P.F.C. out of boot camp. The man lost 54 pounds in 2 months. And evert time I think about how tough it was for me. I think about how tough it was for him. The man had a burning desire to be a Marine. He had guts.
    Wow, that is a great story! Hopefully i wont have to go through what that Marine did though. I hope to be fit and then some before i go so i will be sitting pretty when i get there.

NOW...you have the proper attitude! It's not that difficult.

Carry on and good luck implementing your plan. Let us know how your progress goes.

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousWarrior View Post
    Wow, that is a great story! Hopefully i wont have to go through what that Marine did though. I hope to be fit and then some before i go so i will be sitting pretty when i get there.
    Yes...good story and just the kind of Marines I'd be glad to share a fighting hole with....that includes you TT and Mongoose.

Do not deviate from your goal.....how badly do you want to be a Marine?
    Discipline, perseverance, mental toughness...make it happen.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    Yes...good story and just the kind of Marines I'd be glad to share a fighting hole with....that includes you TT and Mongoose.

Do not deviate from your goal.....how badly do you want to be a Marine?
    Discipline, perseverance, mental toughness...make it happen.
    Like i said in a previous post, I have never wanted anything more that to become a Marine. I consider it a certainty that i will achieve that title...

Credits
    Savings
    Well i guess now would be a good time to also mention that i have been a picky eater my whole life. Not as bad as some but certainty worse that others. Its something i have got a little bit better at over the years but im not all that sure the problem will ever be able to be addressed. The only times where i eat something i normally wouldn't is when i am really hungry which from what i hear is alot like other people in boot camp, so there is hope. Anyway below is a plan that i have made as far as a basic schedule and the types of foods i will eat and can afford. Read and Judge it for what it is...a start!
    Basic Schedule (Every Day)
    7:00 AM: Wake Up
    7:15 AM: Exercise for close to 30 mins.
    - Stretching (For about 2 mins)
    - Abdominal Twists (For about 5 mins)
    - "Jumping Jacks" (For about 2 mins)
    -Leg/Thigh Thrusts (About 20 or so)
    -Sit-Ups (however many i can do at first, then a set # increased by 2 or so a week)
    -Push-Ups (however many i can do at first, then a set # increased by 2 or so a week)
    -Messing around with a 11 pound weight using different parts of the arm. About 20-30 for each part of the arm. Im gonna use a smaller weight for leaner muscle...
    -Running is place for the remainder of the 30 mins.
    7:45 AM: Shower
    8:00 AM: Breakfast
    Most Likely Consisting of 1 to 3 of these foods:
    -CEREAL: Corn Flakes, Cheerios, or Rice Crispies (1 bowl)
    -Eggs (just 2 eggs, scrambled)
    -Oatmeal (1 pack, some flavor or another)
    -Banana(s) (should i have 1 or 2 a day?)
    -Whole Wheat Toast (1 piece, no butter)
    Drink(s)
    -Water (Cold to burn more calories)
    -Orange Juice (1/2 glass, hows Tropicana?)
    -Milk (1 glass, 2%)

8:30 AM - 12:00 PM: School (more or less time depending)
    12:00 PM: Lunch
    Most Likely Consisting of 1 or 2 of these foods:
    -Peanut Butter / Cheese / Ham (I Hate Turkey) Sand-witch with Whole Wheat Bread (x1)
    -Apple (x1 Whole, Green)
    -Carrots (up to a bowl full)
    -Celery (a few sticks)
    -Cucumber (up to a whole one)
    -Cabbage (1 cups worth? i dont know)
    12:30 PM - 6:00 PM: School or Work (more or less time depending once again)
    6:00 PM: Dinner
    Carrots (up to a bowl full)
    Celery (a few sticks)
    Cucumber (pp to a whole one)
    Cabbage (1 cup or so? I dont know)
    Apple (x1)
    Grilled Chicken (No Breading which is the the way i prefer it anyway)
    Taco (x1 or 2 w/ just meat and cheese)
    Hamburger w/out Bun (x1 w/ just cheese)
    Corn (Canned)
    Green Beans (Canned)
    7:00pm - 10/11:00 PM: Rec' Time
    10/11:00 PM : Bed
    ....and repeat day in day out until i either like more food or have the resources and energy to do better work outs....or the day i ship out to boot camp, which ever is first haha!

Any input on this post especially would be greatly, greatly appreciated... Thanks in advance!

Credits
    Savings
    Forgot to mention that the 2 or 3 snacks a day would consist of either Unsalted Peanuts or Sunflower Seeds (but a limited amount of course) or maybe some of the fruit or vegetables that I mentioned in the previous post...

OK...you asked for more 'comments'...here you go:

[quote=CuriousWarrior;781099]Well i guess now would be a good time to also mention that i have been a picky eater my whole life.
    NOTE: if you want to reach your goal you may have to modify.
    Read and Judge it for what it is...a start!
    Basic Schedule (Every Day)
    7:00 AM: Wake Up
    7:15 AM: Exercise for close to 30 mins.
    - Stretching (For about 2 mins)- no prob here
    - Abdominal Twists (For about 5 mins)
    These are not beneficial - your ab muscles are already there but are covered in body fat so you need to concentrate on diet and cardio not doing countless ab work. I would ditch these as a waste of your time. There's a lot of myth and bro science out there.
    - "Jumping Jacks" (For about 2 mins) - good for some cardio benefit
    -Leg/Thigh Thrusts (About 20 or so) - ok for some conditioning/cardio
    -Sit-Ups - ok for some conditioning/cardio
    -Push-Ups - a good body weight movement - it's a chest exercise.
    -Messing around with a 11 pound weight using different parts of the arm.
    11 pounds will do nothing to build any muscle. Muscles will only grow if they are FORCED to grow which means using heavier weight with a smart, disciplined workout routine. Doing countless reps of light weight will do little for your goals.
    gonna use a smaller weight for leaner muscle - don't know where you heard this but it's bull sh!t/forget it
    -Running is place for the remainder of the 30 mins. - cardio benefit which is important for weight loss.
    7:45 AM: Shower
    8:00 AM: Breakfast
    Most Likely Consisting of 1 to 3 of these foods:
    -CEREAL: Corn Flakes, Cheerios, or Rice Crispies (1 bowl)
    Forget the Rice Krispies and Corn flakes - Preferably oatmeal but as a cold cereal Cheerios (not the sugared crap) is acceptable...shredded wheat also and whole wheat toast should be there too.
    -Eggs (just 2 eggs, scrambled)
    -Oatmeal (1 pack, some flavor or another) - good but don't use the packaged stuff...buy the whole oats in the cylinder container...they are not expensive.
    -Banana(s) (should i have 1 or 2 a day?) - good
    -Whole Wheat Toast (1 piece, no butter) - good - if you're working out no need to eliminate butter - fats do not make us fat! The body needs fats and protein. Use real butter not that suave ointment they call margarine or any other substitute.
    Drink(s)
    -Water (Cold to burn more calories) - temperature is irrelevant, just stay hydrated
    -Orange Juice (1/2 glass, hows Tropicana?) No...especially not the Tropicana stuff. Have juice less frequently and eat REAL food fruits...period!
    -Milk (1 glass, 2%) - No need to go 2% - milk does have sugars but it's still a very healthy food even for adults that don't have the lacto-allergy. I drink whole milk to this day. You'll burn off any of the sugars in diary if you aren't eating other crap.

8:30 AM - 12:00 PM: School (more or less time depending)
    12:00 PM: Lunch
    Most Likely Consisting of 1 or 2 of these foods:
    -Peanut Butter / Cheese / Ham (I Hate Turkey) Sand-witch with Whole Wheat Bread (x1) - Nuts need to be in the diet-peanut butter/jelly on whole wheat is an excellent complex carb/energy combo. Cheese is cool as with milk given the protein content (Muscle is built, maintained and repaired by proper protein intake. Stay away from PROCESSED or PACKAGED MEATS...you have chicken, beef, pork, and fish (tuna) to choose from and mix up during the day.
    -Apple (x1 Whole, Green)
    -Carrots (up to a bowl full)
    -Celery (a few sticks)
    -Cucumber (up to a whole one)
    -Cabbage (1 cups worth? i dont know)
    12:30 PM - 6:00 PM: School or Work (more or less time depending once again)
    6:00 PM: Dinner
    Carrots (up to a bowl full)
    Celery (a few sticks)
    Cucumber (pp to a whole one)
    Cabbage (1 cup or so? I dont know)
    Apple (x1)
    Grilled Chicken - good, along with above stuff
    Taco (x1 or 2 w/ just meat and cheese) - ok
    Hamburger w/out Bun (x1 w/ just cheese) - good, I don't use buns either.
    Corn (Canned) - OK..but there are many other veggies to consider also and fresh is much preferred over any consistent reliance on canned food. Zucchini, broccoli, c/cob, spinach, green beans, etc.
    Green Beans (Canned) - good, still canned habits are not ideal and I advise losing the habit.
    7:00pm - 10/11:00 PM: Rec' Time
    10/11:00 PM : Bed

Synopsis: striving for a *balanced* diet.
    Stay away from all processed foods, stick with whole grains and fruits for your carbs. Potatoes and rice (I eat brown and white rice)
    Avacados, dark green veggies and nuts should be in the diet....period.
    After about 3pm cut off the carbs and have lean meat and vegetables only for dinner. That way there's no excess carbs you're taking to bed with you. Eat ALLLL the veggies you want to fill you up along with the lean meat.

Obviously there are exceptions: at BBQ I will have a bun with my burger and several beers.
    But, we're not talking exceptions here....we're talking about reaching a goal the path necessary to achieve it.

I only hit the heavies here so educate yourself further and do what you need to do.
    I may have missed something so hopefully I've covered most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by chulaivet1966 View Post
    -Messing around with a 11 pound weight using different parts of the arm.
    11 pounds will do nothing to build any muscle. Muscles will only grow if they are FORCED to grow which means using heavier weight with a smart, disciplined workout routine. Doing countless reps of light weight will do little for your goals.
    gonna use a smaller weight for leaner muscle - don't know where you heard this but it's bull sh!t/forget it
    I was the one who suggested this. Let me clarify a bit. You're right Chulaivet, whatever your lifting routine is, you've got to be pushing your muscles to their limit. But there are two different ways to accomplish that. What I suggested is to do more reps with less weight as opposed to a less reps with heavier weights. One builds tone muscles built for endurance. The other builds a lot of muscle mass built for explosive power. I will admit I am not an expert, but I would suggest that leaner muscle mass is what this kid needs.

But either way, by the end of your workout, your muscles should be burning. I don't know how heavy of weights you should use. You're going to have to decide your own level. I will say though, if you're doing 20 reps with an 11lb dumbbell and your muscles feel perfectly fine afterwords, you're not making a whole lot of progress. You'll either need to bump up your weights or your reps. The thing I was trying to discourage from was doing like 3 sets of 5 reps with a ton of weight and turning into a meat head. Another advantage of more reps, is to get the heart rate up and burn more calories.

iamsparticus...as we try to synthesize and qualify all this info

Sure...doing a sh!tload of reps with lighter weight is an 'endurance' approach which is not wrong as a start but to use the word 'leaner' with this more reps/less weight is not appropriate.
    Muscle is muscle and one does a routine for functional strength/endurance or to mainly build more muscle.
    They are different approaches not being a question of right or wrong.
    To lose weight as with the OP's goal it's eating habits combined with a cardio routine with some carb timing.
    Also...it's extremely difficult to lose weight and built muscle at the same time because the diet plan (macros = proportions of protein/fats/carbs) must be impeccable.
    Even then, it is recommended to concentrate on the weight loss first then think about the free weights routine along with proper nutrition.
    The 'burn' you refer to is trendy talk for a build up of lactic acid which is a result of totally fatiguing the muscle group but not necessary to 'feel the burn' for muscle development.
    In fact....one does not need to go to failure to built muscle.
    Yes...the heart rate would increase a bit with the more reps/less weight but not enough to consider it as cardio.
    Best cardio...get the heart rate up to where you can barely carry on a conversation and keep it there for 30-40 minutes 4-5 times a week.
    Sure..some may have to work up to this goal.
    We must remember the heart is a muscle too and cardio works that well!
    For a free weight routine for endurance...IE: choose a weight you can easily lift for 10 reps. Do 3x10 (3 sets/10 reps). If that is easy and you did the third set fine...then add 5# for the next workout day for that muscle group.
    Every 3 weeks or so, if the routine is smart and safe, one could add 5-10 pounds depending on one's focus and progress.
    To built bulk muscle more quickly one would use the same approach but stick to about 4-6 reps for 3 sets.
    Again...the goals/approaches are differnent.

I am not taking issue with your assistance to the OP at all but a few things needed clarification for accuracy.
    We're both trying to help him...that's the important thing.

All is cool...I'm sure I missed something else.

By the way...I'm no expert either but I do have some experience at all this.

Credits
    Savings
    [Me being a picky eater] "NOTE: if you want to reach your goal you may have to modify."

(Sigh) Dont I know it! Could be one of the biggest obstacles to overcome but is obviously possible...

[Abdominal Twists] "These are not beneficial - your ab muscles are already there but are covered in body fat so you need to concentrate on diet and cardio not doing countless ab work. I would ditch these as a waste of your time. There's a lot of myth and bro science out there."

The one who told me those were really important was my Grandfather (who served as a combat soldier with US Army 101st Airbourne in Vietnam in 67' and 68' i think) So your saying that they dont implement that in the Marines today? I believe you im simply just wondering...

[Using an 11 pound weight] "11 pounds will do nothing to build any muscle. Muscles will only grow if they are FORCED to grow which means using heavier weight with a smart, disciplined workout routine. Doing countless reps of light weight will do little for your goals."
    One of the commenters on the first page after i mentioned i have 25 pound (that is heavy as **** to me, haha) said that more reps with a lighter weight would build leaner muscle rather than bulk. Which has been something iv been worried about as far as exercising wrong or what have you. Not sure what to think now honestly.

[About Cereal] "Forget the Rice Krispies and Corn flakes - Preferably oatmeal but as a cold cereal Cheerios (not the sugared crap) is acceptable...shredded wheat also and whole wheat toast should be there too."

I would say forget cold cereal then becuase frankly cheerios and shredded wheat are terrible. But i guess that is a good source of iron? Should i keep some on hand for an occasional breakfast you think, or can i just stick with oatmeal?

[About cold water] "temperature is irrelevant, just stay hydrated"

There is actually science that supports that cold water burns more calories. The human body has to get the water to room temperture first so it makes sense to me. But i guess i dont know for sure.

[About 2% Milk] "No need to go 2% - milk does have sugars but it's still a very healthy food even for adults that don't have the lacto-allergy. I drink whole milk to this day. You'll burn off any of the sugars in diary if you aren't eating other crap."

Actually iv pretty much always drank 2% so all the better for me i guess haha. I personally think if anything alot of my weight came from me drinking like a gallon of milk every 2 days. As far as calories go if not fat. Fortunatly i have broken that habit though.

As far as the canned goods go i know that they are always high on salt (for preservative i believe), i dont have the skill or the money to always buy and cook fresh veggies so for now i will have to settle with canned goods.

Great input overall....very helpful! Thanks!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    with an 11lb dumbbell and your muscles feel perfectly fine afterwords, you're not making a whole lot of progress. You'll either need to bump up your weights or your reps.
    Yeah i can lift it literally 200 times (i did it every night about 6 months ago...then stopped) and not really feel any burn. But dam that means spending money to get more weights. Worth it but still...

Thread Information