Anyone Here A Marine With IBS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hello all,

I am very seriously considering joining the Marines. I want to very badly but I have IBS. Having IBS disqualifies you from joining, but I have heard about several people who are Marines and have IBS. I know of someone in the Army with IBS as well.

My question is, how do you go about joining with IBS? How on earth do you make it through boot camp and day to day life (especially in war) with IBS? Once again, I am very interested in joining, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any responses, and feel free to private message me if anyone has a response they don't want public... IBS can be a personal subject to some.

1: You posted in the wrong section, moved to 'Ask a Marine'.

2: For those who haven't the faintest idea what 'IBS' is..please enlighten us.

3: Familiarize yourself with our site rules and regulations. Start at the top of the 'Ask a Marine' section.

4: Flesh out the profile as well, please...

OH...figured out what IBS means. You are correct, that is an automatic disqualifier for enlistment.

If those Marines developed it while already IN the military, that's why they are still in. That's the only way.

Last edited by Sgt Leprechaun; 11-30-11 at 09:28 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Inebrieted bison steak? Illegitimate bastard son? Insida boat syndrome? I beat the system? I botched school? Hmmm I best shutup

Inflatable Boat Small, i know Quinn went to that school in the lagoon at Coronado

How irritable are we talking???

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Small and large intestine.
    Current or history of inflammatory bowel disease, including, but not limited to unspecified (558.9), regional enteritis or Crohn’s disease (555), ulcerative colitis (556), or ulcerative proctitis (556), is disqualifying.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini.../abdominal.htm

This may not be the current poop....only a recruiter can tell you.

But knowing the effects that IBS has on the body.....the traing schedule in training at the MCRD and the fleet does not stop when the urge hits....

And if you are on medication that may not be available during training...again ask a recruiter for the true poop.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A good friend was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome toward the end of his basic training/infantry AIT with the Army. They put him out of the door as a preexisting condition. He didn't know he had it before and MEPS didn't find it, but he was DQ nonetheless. Had he managed to get to at least his first PCS unit, he might have been able to stay in, or at least get a medical discharge and get VA bennies for it.

They did tell him IF they let him stay in, he couldn't remain in infantry. Since they put him out anyway, that became a moot point.

He does suffer from IBS regularly now and it can make him plenty irritable too.

Credits
    Savings
    My wife has IBS and seeing how the urge hits so quickly and sometimes pretty violently. I see no way you could make through MCRD. I'm not sure you appreciate how controlled and hectic your day will be at P.I or S.D or how far you will find yourself from a head.
    There could be several reasons why you have IBS. Often IBS is a precursor to Chrones. My wife has been tested for Chrones several times to make sure she hasn't developed it. Both can be managed and lived with.
    Even if you can't enlist with the condition the best way to manage this condition is your diet. My wife went vegetarian a couple years ago, not vegan. She cut out all soda's and very rarely eats sweets. Now she very rarely suffers from the condition. If she strays from the diet it comes back to haunt her. Her mom is the same way, but she won't stay on a diet. Doc says her diet and moderate to light exercise is the key to her success.
    Like mentioned above contact a recruiter and good luck.

I posted a thread with this same subject in the "Open Squad Bay", but it was moved to the "Ask A Marine" section, in which I am not allowed to post.

I've started this thread here so that I will be able to reply and add more information for those who are kind enough to answer.

Since a lot of people on this board had a laugh at me for not explaining what IBS is, here is my attempt to do so. IBS is a stomach condition that is diagnosed solely by symptoms. There isn't anything wrong with you, it's just the way some people's bodies are built. Symptoms include diarrhea, and urgency. Basically, when I get up in the morning, I develop severe urgency within an hour after waking up and have to go the bathroom immediately. After that, I'm fine. IBS is officially listed as a disqualification for joining the Marines.

I actually haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but I'm sure I have it. Regardless, I will need to take some prescription medication during my time in the military to control it. Obviously I will need a waiver to do this. I told my recruiter about it and he didn't seem to act like it was a problem, yet. I haven't been to my first MEPS though.

The reason I started this thread again, was for others out there who are in the military, who have this condition, or know someone who is in the service and has this condition, to have a place where they can offer their opinions, tips, stories, and suggestions. Any of which will be greatly appreciated by myself, and plenty of others as well, as I know for a fact that there are tons of people out there who want to join the military but have IBS.

Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone for responses and help on this subject.

Last edited by Adema1226; 01-23-12 at 10:05 PM. Reason: correct mistakes

Dr. Oz/WebMD built into Leatherneck -- I like what you're doing here...

I got some IBS right now cause I just ate some ice cream after a few Amstels.

I have not been formally diagnosed, yet -- but I just assaulted my toilet and my symptoms were messy so I think that's a tip.

Good luck with yours. The good thing about bootcamp, for most, is they'll develop plenty of urgency -- if they don't have it already.

BTW -- I like how two of your tags are: irritable and Marines -- exactly what I was thinking.

Your answer is here ,the forum search function actually does work.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95911

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    Your answer is here ,the forum search function actually does work.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=95911
    I've already viewed that topic, and there is no answer there. I'm not looking for someone to tell me IBS is a disqualification. I'm looking for people who are already in the service, or know someone in the service who has IBS, that can share stories and suggestions. I can't post in "Ask A Marine" anyway.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There's a few young Marines 'round here that are full of it. I'm sure your answer will come out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Adema1226 View Post
    I actually haven't been diagnosed with IBS, but I'm sure I have it. Regardless, I will need to take some prescription medication during my time in the military to control it. Obviously I will need a waiver to do this. I told my recruiter about it and he didn't seem to act like it was a problem, yet.
    Your post lacks logic. You say you have IBS, have not been diagnosed with it, but will need to take prescription medications for it to control it.

To my knowledge doctors do not prescribed meds for undiagnosed illnesses, and they usually do not prescribe meds to a patient who has made a self-diagnosis.

You say you recruiter says he didn't seem to act like it was a problem. Why should he act like it is a problem to a potential recruit who has no illness? If it's not diagnosed, it doesn't exist.

This thread doesn't pass the smell test.

Thread Information