Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    No.

Marine Friend Free Member USNAviator's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    No.
    Oh I'm growing weary.......time for a Bushmills. Stop by Jason, steaks are on the grill

Sir....I sooooooo very wish.

Quote Originally Posted by bornagain View Post
    Are there any true advantages to infantry over other jobs, maybe rank advancement or future employment?
    Have you even see a Marine recruiter?

Have you taken your questions to him or her?

Is there a reason you have not taken the time to research MOS's you are interested in?

You seem to have a lot of questions, and if you are legit, that's cool, but you would be well served to write your questions down and go see a Marine recruiter who will be able to answer all.

So you have been given some good answers. Now you have your homework assignment so I suggest you get at it!

Aye.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Have you even see a Marine recruiter?

Have you taken your questions to him or her?

Is there a reason you have not taken the time to research MOS's you are interested in?

You seem to have a lot of questions, and if you are legit, that's cool, but you would be well served to write your questions down and go see a Marine recruiter who will be able to answer all.

So you have been given some good answers. Now you have your homework assignment so I suggest you get at it!
    Well I'm trying my best to get info but there is only so much that I can look up online. I've talked to a recruiter and we are going to get some things going soon but I'm just still undecided what I want to do. I'm hoping to find some Marines to tell me their personal experience, but I don't know people on here that can really help me out with that. PS all the comments are great, thanks Commander, Sgt Lep., and others. You have given me my answers and I am very greatful.I'll try and find out as a matter of personal opinion what jobs are better than others from others with experience in that field, once again thank you for your responses Marines they are all helpful.

Well I'm trying my best to get info but there is only so much that I can look up online. I've talked to a recruiter and we are going to get some things going soon but I'm just still undecided what I want to do. I'm hoping to find some Marines to tell me their personal experience, but I don't know people on here that can really help me out with that. PS all the comments are great, thanks Commander, Sgt Lep., and others. You have given me my answers and I am very greatful.I'll try and find out as a matter of personal opinion what jobs are better than others from others with experience in that field, once again thank you for your responses Marines they are all helpful.
    Bornagain, well, I was not an 0300 as you can see, but both of my brothers were, and I will tell you their experiences as briefly as I can. May help you in your decision, may not.

My oldest brother enlisted as 0300. You did not enlist as 0311 or 0331, just straight 0300 and the Marine Corps after infantry training will decide what you will be and where you will go. So he completed infantry training and happened to be the right height and build for embassy duty, and went to training for ED and eventually to barracks duty in London, England. He did not like it, wanted to be 0311 like his buddy he joined with who was in Oki and on float. He came back stateside after 2 years, was assigned to a unit in Pendleton and got out. He came back in, was assigned to I believe it was 7th Marines in Pendleton as a grunt, loved it, went on all the humps, did the training, etc. After recruiting duty became a sniper, went to Mogadishu as a sniper, had a tight unit, loved it but came home with some difficulities that in time resolved, eventually retired as a gunny.

My other brother joined open contract, was told to make his request be known at boot camp that he wanted to go into the MPs and they would send him. Ha-ha, no, wrong. He was made an 0300, went to infantry training, and because he was 6'3" about 215 lbs, he was made an 0331. If you're big and you can pack the M-60, guess what? He then went on float for 6 months, at Oki for about 6 mos and hated it. He got sick of packing the M-60 and did not like the head games. Back at Pendleton, at reception he had the opportunity to go to a unit and work in the vault for the CO which involved receiving secret and top secret messages, processing, etc., was meritoriously promoted to E-4 and E-5, and loved it. He was with a grunt unit but no longer packed the M-60, still went out in the field, but had completely different job assignments.

So there you have it. The moral of the story, if there is one, you may join open or 0300 and nevertheless, the Marine Corps is going to put you where they need you the most.

Quote Originally Posted by MOS4429 View Post
    Bornagain, well, I was not an 0300 as you can see, but both of my brothers were, and I will tell you their experiences as briefly as I can. May help you in your decision, may not.

My oldest brother enlisted as 0300. You did not enlist as 0311 or 0331, just straight 0300 and the Marine Corps after infantry training will decide what you will be and where you will go. So he completed infantry training and happened to be the right height and build for embassy duty, and went to training for ED and eventually to barracks duty in London, England. He did not like it, wanted to be 0311 like his buddy he joined with who was in Oki and on float. He came back stateside after 2 years, was assigned to a unit in Pendleton and got out. He came back in, was assigned to I believe it was 7th Marines in Pendleton as a grunt, loved it, went on all the humps, did the training, etc. After recruiting duty became a sniper, went to Mogadishu as a sniper, had a tight unit, loved it but came home with some difficulities that in time resolved, eventually retired as a gunny.

My other brother joined open contract, was told to make his request be known at boot camp that he wanted to go into the MPs and they would send him. Ha-ha, no, wrong. He was made an 0300, went to infantry training, and because he was 6'3" about 215 lbs, he was made an 0331. If you're big and you can pack the M-60, guess what? He then went on float for 6 months, at Oki for about 6 mos and hated it. He got sick of packing the M-60 and did not like the head games. Back at Pendleton, at reception he had the opportunity to go to a unit and work in the vault for the CO which involved receiving secret and top secret messages, processing, etc., was meritoriously promoted to E-4 and E-5, and loved it. He was with a grunt unit but no longer packed the M-60, still went out in the field, but had completely different job assignments.

So there you have it. The moral of the story, if there is one, you may join open or 0300 and nevertheless, the Marine Corps is going to put you where they need you the most.
    Wow. That must have taken a while to type. Thank you for your troubles Marine. So I can go open contract letting them know that I want 03xx and they will just put me where I fit best? In that case I don't think that I would be a machine gunner. I don't really fit in to being 6'3 and 215 pounds or anywhere close to that size. I think I would like to be a rifleman better, who knows, maybe an LAV crewman. Machine gunner is off the list. I really want an MOS that will take me through ITB, so I can get the full experience. Again thank you Marine, that does help influence my choices.

So I can go open contract letting them know that I want 03xx and they will just put me where I fit best?
    Oh boy... [deep breath]. I don't think you understand what an open contract is. Open contract means you have no MOS contract. Which means they can put you slinging hash in the chow line or they could put you in a warehouse issuing gortex pants. You want an infantry contract. You can't pick the specific MOS (0311, 0331, etc), but if there are slots available (which right now there aren't many), you can pick the general MOS field (0300). Then, once you get to SOI they will decide what your specific MOS will be.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is lots of information out there and it's easy to find. Google is your friend.

There are a few good books available that report on portions of the fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan. I suggest The March Up, by Bing West, which is about the invasion of Iraq. West was a Marine infantry officer in Vietnam and has written a number of books. He and a retired Marine General embedded with Marines (they did spend some time with Army units). He describes the nitty-gritty of grunts in desert and urban combat rather well.

I also suggest you go to www.michaelyon-online.com . Yon is a former US Army Green Beret who is an independent journalist now. He has embedded with US Army and Marine units as well as British Marine and Army units. Read his journals from the beginning. He also has some spectacular photos and videos. He pulls no punches when he sees command stupidity in action, but willingly praises when deserved. He likes Marines. Smart Generals read his on-line journal. Yon also has a couple of books out.

The life of an infantryman in combat is dirty, nasty, dangerous, and damned hard work. It can also be heartbreaking.

Ohhhhh, I get it now. Alright thanks for the update. Seriously, sorry for the stupidity. Instead of open contract I get an infantry contract, then they decide my MOS at SOI. Thank you, thank you! I appreciate the help.

Three pages and you finally got an answer that you could have had after the first post if you had asked the right question.

Well thank you all for your patience. I admit, this has been pretty tedious, but the original question has been answered and many more. Thank you Marines!

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Ohhhhh, I get it now. Alright thanks for the update. Seriously, sorry for the stupidity. Instead of open contract I get an infantry contract, then they decide my MOS at SOI. Thank you, thank you! I appreciate the help.
    Are you old enough to talk with a recruiter? And your Dad doesn't know any of this info about contracts etc? Listen to Zulu and what Sgt Lep told you war isn't a game, it's life and death. It's not pretty, it's not glamorous. It smells, a stench that stays with you your whole life. When the demons come to you in the night, depriving you of sleep, when you wake up with your hands around your wife's neck because you thought she was the enemy. When you scream at your kids when a balloon pops, that's what war does to you

Go and read the posts in the PTSD forum then think long and hard about wanting an 03 contract. You ever been to a fire scene and smelled burning flesh? Not a smell that ever goes away so imagine seeing and smelling that day after day.

I'm not trying to upset anyone here. Where would our country be without grunts fighting on the front line? What would happen if we didn't have brave men to put there life on the line for the sake of America's people? People make sacrifices to protect others, and someones got to do the job. That's the way I see it. I want the comaraderie, the opportunity to travel, bring some excitment to my life, and say "I was there, on the front lines, fighting for my country as a USMC grunt." If it makes you mad that I want those things and plan to have them, then I don't know what to say.

Thread Information