New IST requirements/minimums - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PooleeGerken View Post
    I was informed yesterday that the minimums on the IST have been bumped up. The new requirements are:
    5 Pullups
    60 Crunches
    13:30 run time, I'm not totally sure that the run time is the same, I'll figure it out later today.
    I'm goin up to the twin cities to take my IST for boot camp today, even though I'm not leaving for boot for over 3 weeks, so I'll catch ya all later.
    Source? This might just be your RSS's requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by sbombard15 View Post
    Yea its the same for now but the asvab minimum was raised to 35. I think the asvab min should be 50 or 60 and the ist should be double what it is and if you cant pass each BEFORE you sign up you shouldt be allowed to sign up.
    No, the way it is allows kids who are dedicated to prove it. Not everybody works out regularly before they DEP, hell, I know I didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by OneRadRudeBoy View Post
    Source? This might just be your RSS's requirements.
    You should read my last post it tells ya that its a rumor, and a possibility it will get bumped up to those requirements.

I think the requirements should be a lot higher. Obviously some kids that sign up are a little overweight and this drastically hinders your pull ups. But a ton of kids where I am from went from 0 or 1 pull up to 6 or 7 in a few months. I mean thats what the DEP is for. I worked out like crazy before I signed up because I wanted to be in the best shape possible and now I work even harder knowing I have a ship date. PFT of 300 before I get there has always been the goal and I'm happy to say I have it. All it takes is hard work and the determintation to want to be the best Marine possible. I think it's all up to the recruiters how much kids do during PT. Our recruiters want everyone over 5 pull ups, 75 crunches and a run time of 12:30. It doesn't always happen but kids are improving.

You guys have to understand that while many Marines would want the standards for the IST to be higher, the Core just can't move them up. The standards are set at a rate to where the average joe could do them and still get into recruit training. If the standards were too high more than half the people would drop out before they even get into training. America is two thirds overweight and one third obese. It is amazing that average joe citizens do PT at all. I personally believe they should be higher but it just doesnt make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by joshpike4 View Post
    You guys have to understand that while many Marines would want the standards for the IST to be higher, the Core just can't move them up. The standards are set at a rate to where the average joe could do them and still get into recruit training. If the standards were too high more than half the people would drop out before they even get into training. America is two thirds overweight and one third obese. It is amazing that average joe citizens do PT at all. I personally believe they should be higher but it just doesnt make sense.

Please tell me you didn't just refer to USMC as the center of an apple.

I am surprised that you have never heard that before.

I'm getting ready to ship next week out of RS Baltimore, and I was at RS Headquarters the day the Commanding Officer faxed the increased IST minimum to the RS Sub-stations. I suppose it differs these days from RS-to-RS, or perhaps even district-to-district, but RS Baltimore's IST minimums are as follows:

Pullups: 4
    Crunches: 55
    One-and-a-half mile run: 13 minutes.

My seven pullups suddenly seem less impressive. =\

Also, the ASVAB minimum has been bumped up from 30 to 50, and a lot less waivers seem to be getting approved. Yesterday, my recruiter was telling me how easy it was a year ago to get certain waivers approved that are nearly impossible to get these days.

I guess when the Marine Corps gets crowded, it becomes a little more selective.

Yeah, I think the general consensus is that Recruiting regions are bumping their minimums based on how full they are.

Quote Originally Posted by joshpike4 View Post
    America is two thirds overweight and one third obese.
    2/3 + 1/3 = 3/3 = 100%. Everyone in America is overweight or obese? Or do you mean 1/3 of the 2/3 of overweight people are obese?

Quote Originally Posted by dds0113 View Post
    2/3 + 1/3 = 3/3 = 100%. Everyone in America is overweight or obese? Or do you mean 1/3 of the 2/3 of overweight people are obese?
    LOL. As was said earlier in this thread: Let's not get to technical.
    I agree with josh that the standards are the way they are due to the fact that the average joe needs to be able to pass them but at the same time be high enough that recruits will be prepared for boot camp.

The whole Brevard County R.S.S. isn't shipping poolees that can't do 5 p/u, 60 crunches, and can't run the 1 1/2 in under 13 minutes.

Remember y'all that live out here, Rockledge r.s.s. at 8am tomorrow.

Haha eleventen, great avatar.

Since when did all of you become Marines ?? I did not thinks so . Stop posting information that is wrong half of you don't even know what your talking about . The IST,PFT and CFT are still the same. Stop braging because you have better IST scores that dont matter will that stop a bullet ?

What I meant to say is that 1/3rd or 33.3 percent of American citizens are obese and 2/3rds or 66 percent are overweight. The overweight category counting the obese percentage. Pretty much saying the same thing again, but its amazing that Americans do PT at all.

Thread Information