Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shpdt080701 View Post
    I am not a Marine yet, but I have been to MCRD SD.

Do not hate firewatch because you are tired. Love it. You do a little work (unless you are front post) and it's an hour of 'freedom' that you can relax and get your head straight. Take a few moments to look out the portholes, feel that cool air. Never think about how there are recruits about to graduate (even though you will think about it) but if you are T-10, think about the suckers JUST getting to the depot. Think about what you have accomplished and as much as it sucks...always push harder....it makes things easier.

I would always kill myself during the day pushing and running and learning and then when firewatch came and I felt that cool San Diego breeze and smelling the cleaner from the swabbie I could reflect on the day and say I did my best.

Chow to chow, Firewatch to Firewatch, Sunday to Sunday.

As a side note, for soem reason I always felt the need to shine the **** out of the rain room handles/circle things. I hated when they got soapy/scummy during hygiene. OCD maybe. Those ****ers shined every morning though.

Dan
    If you are not a Marine yet how do you know what Boot is like? Or did you wash out?

Do not hate firewatch because you are tired. Love it. You do a little work (unless you are front post) and it's an hour of 'freedom' that you can relax and get your head straight. Take a few moments to look out the portholes, feel that cool air. Never think about how there are recruits about to graduate (even though you will think about it) but if you are T-10, think about the suckers JUST getting to the depot. Think about what you have accomplished and as much as it sucks...always push harder....it makes things easier.

I would always kill myself during the day pushing and running and learning and then when firewatch came and I felt that cool San Diego breeze and smelling the cleaner from the swabbie I could reflect on the day and say I did my best.

As a side note, for soem reason I always felt the need to shine the **** out of the rain room handles/circle things. I hated when they got soapy/scummy during hygiene. OCD maybe. Those ****ers shined every morning though.

Dan
    What the hell are you talking about? You act like you have first hand experience being fire-watch yet you are a poolee. If you weren't a recruit, then you don't know what its like. By the way, recruits are different from poolees. How is a poolee going to tell me how boot camp is like? Save the experience for real Marines to tell.

Dan
    rain room?!

dude you make it seem like training is a nightmare... and tell us a little bit more about yourself that you talk about training day -10 as if you graduated and are reminiscing.

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    rain room?!

dude you make it seem like training is a nightmare... and tell us a little bit more about yourself that you talk about training day -10 as if you graduated and are reminiscing.
    Hey Petz. I think we have a Poolee poser. Now that's a first. LOL

Let's not jump to conclusions, he could of been sent home due to illness or family emergency. I had a kid in my platoon like that.

Quote Originally Posted by biesseb View Post
    Let's not jump to conclusions, he could of been sent home due to illness or family emergency. I had a kid in my platoon like that.
    In that case, he would return to boot after only a few days or possibly a week. Emergency leave charges days. The only thing I can think of is maybe he got injured in boot and discharged, but I don't think that's the case.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The was a poolee in my RSS's pool that went to bootcamp but there was some sort of clerical error and he was sent home after two weeks and he had to go to MEPS and do everything all over again... He shipped on Monday I believe.

I'm not jumping on his side, but he could have gone down to MCRD SD on a JROTC trip. I went down to PI for a week with my JROTC but I know it was nothing quite like the real thing. He is talking like he has been there, kinda sketchy.

-jake

Talking Misconceptions

I honestly can say I never really had any misconceptions, but I didn't know what it was going to be like either. I feel what it was like, is what I had anticipated for the most part. Some of the most memorable and Fu$%ed Up things I can think of are as follows.

1. The first time I had firewatch we had a recruit who had a seizure his body locked up like a stiff board. Myself and the other firewatch had to carry him into the duty hut. That was weird and creepy to me, never had seen something like that before.

2. We had our guide from receiving get fired two days after picking up, then a week or two he got dropped to MRP

3. One of our guys Recruit Stevens was overweight, he graduated skinny as hell, and our Senior called him his most improved recruit.

4. While up north, my hooch mate broke his hip, and I had to carry mine and his gear, and rifle the rest of the way through the Crucible. But I got his leftover MRE's. He came back and graduated with us, with a fu$%ed up hip.

5. I marched for the Second Squad Squad Leader in drill alot because he sucked a$$. I was normally right behind first squad leader, in regular formation. My Senior DI and Heavy called me there back up Squad Leader lol.

6. My heavy asked me during our last week, while doing admin stuff. Who General Lejeune was. The thing was he called me over in a private manner, and asked who Lejeune was, but he said in in fuc#$ed up way so that it sounded like he was saying someone else. I maintained bearing, and told him who General Lejuene was, but told him I didn't have a clue to who the hell he was talking about. He laughed and very politley told me to go away..

Those are just as few of mine. Some other things include the Planes taking off from San Deigo International Sucking, Having to watch new Marines on Family Day sucking. Watching the Recruits come off the Crucible all dirty, limping, with cammie paint still on there faces going to the chow hall. I thought they were hardcore. The biggest thing I look back on now and laugh about is while on a hump our DI's would yell "AT&T Reach Out and Touch Somebody" then we would have to grab the recruits pack in front of us. I was with 2nd Bn Echo Company, I still to this day feel we had the hardest, and meanist DI's in the Corps. We don't call it Evil Echo for nothing. Man those were the days. Would do it all over again just for some vacation.

Rah echo3, I was Echo as well. My biggest misconception about boot was that it was going to be physically overwhelming. During PT, I never felt like I couldn't keep up. It wasn't easy but it wasn't as hard as what I'd expected. Normally I had my head screwed on pretty straight so I didn't get slayed too often. One thing I was surprised was how much stronger I got. I managed 8 pull ups on the IST. The next four weeks, we PT'd about three times a week...I didn't feel like the PT was adequate and was worried about the first PFT during week 4. Ended up getting 17 pull-ups. Another thing I learned about half way through the cycle was that there's a method to all of the madness the Drill Instructors enforce...everything was for a reason no matter how stupid it seemed at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by echo3oscar1833 View Post
    I honestly can say I never really had any misconceptions, but I didn't know what it was going to be like either. I feel what it was like, is what I had anticipated for the most part. Some of the most memorable and Fu$%ed Up things I can think of are as follows.

1. The first time I had firewatch we had a recruit who had a seizure his body locked up like a stiff board. Myself and the other firewatch had to carry him into the duty hut. That was weird and creepy to me, never had seen something like that before.

2. We had our guide from receiving get fired two days after picking up, then a week or two he got dropped to MRP

3. One of our guys Recruit Stevens was overweight, he graduated skinny as hell, and our Senior called him his most improved recruit.

4. While up north, my hooch mate broke his hip, and I had to carry mine and his gear, and rifle the rest of the way through the Crucible. But I got his leftover MRE's. He came back and graduated with us, with a fu$%ed up hip.

5. I marched for the Second Squad Squad Leader in drill alot because he sucked a$$. I was normally right behind first squad leader, in regular formation. My Senior DI and Heavy called me there back up Squad Leader lol.

6. My heavy asked me during our last week, while doing admin stuff. Who General Lejeune was. The thing was he called me over in a private manner, and asked who Lejeune was, but he said in in fuc#$ed up way so that it sounded like he was saying someone else. I maintained bearing, and told him who General Lejuene was, but told him I didn't have a clue to who the hell he was talking about. He laughed and very politley told me to go away..

Those are just as few of mine. Some other things include the Planes taking off from San Deigo International Sucking, Having to watch new Marines on Family Day sucking. Watching the Recruits come off the Crucible all dirty, limping, with cammie paint still on there faces going to the chow hall. I thought they were hardcore. The biggest thing I look back on now and laugh about is while on a hump our DI's would yell "AT&T Reach Out and Touch Somebody" then we would have to grab the recruits pack in front of us. I was with 2nd Bn Echo Company, I still to this day feel we had the hardest, and meanist DI's in the Corps. We don't call it Evil Echo for nothing. Man those were the days. Would do it all over again just for some vacation.
    he said leh-jurn... didn't he??? that was his proper pronuciation of his last name... probably trying to fvck with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottie0417 View Post
    Rah echo3, I was Echo as well. My biggest misconception about boot was that it was going to be physically overwhelming. During PT, I never felt like I couldn't keep up. It wasn't easy but it wasn't as hard as what I'd expected. Normally I had my head screwed on pretty straight so I didn't get slayed too often. One thing I was surprised was how much stronger I got. I managed 8 pull ups on the IST. The next four weeks, we PT'd about three times a week...I didn't feel like the PT was adequate and was worried about the first PFT during week 4. Ended up getting 17 pull-ups. Another thing I learned about half way through the cycle was that there's a method to all of the madness the Drill Instructors enforce...everything was for a reason no matter how stupid it seemed at the time.

echo3... like E-3 killer.....

it's comm call sign stuff you obviously don't know yet.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    echo3... like E-3 killer.....

it's comm call sign stuff you obviously don't know yet.

think they were talking about ECHO company; just a shot in the dark. Anywho, I suppose a big misconception that I had about boot camp was that was where you became a Marine and I was wrong. You "earn the title" there but you become a MARINE much later and there is no magic moment in time when it happens. Fear not, poolees, you will be a Marine. Just saying walking the grinder don't mean ****. Kind of an ongoing process, I suppose...

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Biggest Misconception about Boot Camp

We were all laughing until we went through the Main Gate at Parris Island.
    Then you could have heard a pin drop.
    Then the bus stops and the DI came on and said: Maggots you have three minuets to get off this bus and two of them are gone.
    After lining up on the foot prints at attention I could here my brother in law's last words to me: You are Crazy joining the Marines.
    He had just got out of the Navy.
    Remember I was just 18 years old and hadn't been anywhere before.
    I was in Platoon 327 third battalion. Third battalion was said to be soft but it was no different than first or second. The only thing different was we had brick barracks.
    We were close to the confident course and track field.
    We ran three miles in the morning and three miles at night.
    I was not prepared but loved it and proud to be a Marine.
    Semper Fi to all. Redman1
    P.S. I really like this site. I haven't thought of these things in years.

Plt. 3243
    SDI SSgt Kolveck
    DI SSgt Rodriguez
    DI SSgt Coffey
    DI SSgt Bachman

I absolutely loved boot camp. My favorite part was firewatch, I don't know why but it was. I was in the building by the parade deck parking lot, the wing directly overlooking the lot and from the corner window, I could see a very small opening between the buildings in the direction of SATO in the distance where I could see the car lights on the freeway at night. Around 4AM a black 05ish Mustang GT that was loud as hell would come in. I usually woke up when they shut the fan off an hour before lights. No planes would take off during this hour for some reason either.

Sorry if I seem like a poser but I am not. I was there and I loved every minute of it. There was just something about MCRD SD at night that was very....'peaceful'.

Dan

Thread Information