National Defense Service Medal - Page 8
Create Post
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast
    As I have read all the posts here I am reminded that on Sept 21,1965, graduation day from MCRD San Diego (we graduated in Trops) no one was awarded the NDSM in our entire company. I did not see any of these medals on Marines chest. When leaving Viet Nam in Aug 68,I still did not any medals. I purchased the ones I wore home from the Air Force PX in Oki. I had to go to Personnel when I reported to my permanent duty station and they researched what I rated and put them in my record book. I recently received from St Louis a package containing most of the ones I had earned including one new one--it was the RVN CAC, none of the foreign medals were included. So I had to buy them from Medals of America.

Quote Originally Posted by iamcloudlander View Post
    As I have read all the posts here I am reminded that on Sept 21,1965, graduation day from MCRD San Diego (we graduated in Trops) no one was awarded the NDSM in our entire company. I did not see any of these medals on Marines chest. When leaving Viet Nam in Aug 68,I still did not any medals. I purchased the ones I wore home from the Air Force PX in Oki. I had to go to Personnel when I reported to my permanent duty station and they researched what I rated and put them in my record book. I recently received from St Louis a package containing most of the ones I had earned including one new one--it was the RVN CAC, none of the foreign medals were included. So I had to buy them from Medals of America.
    Which unit were you with to be awarded both the PUC and the Navy Unit Commendation sir.
    Semper Fi

medals

Quote Originally Posted by pocatellodave View Post
    Which unit were you with to be awarded both the PUC and the Navy Unit Commendation sir.
    Semper Fi
    I saw your post asking what unit rated the PUC and the NUC.Iwas with VMFA-531.We were in Danang from April -July 1965.We were near the end of our far east tour when we went TDY to Danang fron Atsugi Japan.We were awarded both the PUC and the NUC for that time.Never understood why but there it is.I never received any awards I was eligible for since I was released COG on 15 July 65 since my enlistment was up on 7 Sept.Kind of wish I had received them just to wow my grandkids. lol I work in a high school now and the Marine recruiters are in the school often.Seems everyone sports a chestful of ribbons,but what with two wars going on they probably have earned them the hard way. Semper Fi

Medals can be a hard to understand,as in it takes some guys many years to get a medal they should have received spot on.My unit should have received medals for Vietnam,but because the U.S wasn't admitting are involvement,we got nothing.The Gulf of Tonkin incident was provoked by the U.S.,and planes from my carrier done the retalitory strike on the North Vietnamese PT base.Many planes came back shot full of holes.
    Many of you have heard of the Lt.Klusmann story.The Kitty Hawks F8A's were flying recon missions over Laos.I seen Klusmann's F8A after one of his missions.He got back with half a tail and many other holes in his plane.A couple of days later the triple A knocked him out of the sky.There were two Air America choppers near Klusmanns location,but McNamara didn't want to let them help,as it would put egg on the U.S.A.'s face.Finally one of the Navy big shots got the President on the phone and told him the situation.Johnson said go get him out.It was too late,as the clever Pathet Laos knew where Klusmann was and let him keep calling for help,drawing in the helicopters so they could pour it to them.The skipper of the Kitty Hawk had already sent one of the Kitty Hawks Helicopters to try and rescue Klusmann w/o permission from anyone!They didn't have door gunners on them choppers,so several Marines were on board the rescue bird,all with B.A.R.s and Thompson sub machine guns.It was too little,too late.The ground fire was intense,and the rescue mission was called off.
    The best part is that Lt.Klusmann escaped with several other prisoners.What a shame to leave a Navy pilot like he meant nothing to are government!
    My battalion 1/8 was doing the same thing in the Dominican that 3/6 was,and they got the NUC,and we got the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal.No big deal,but are C.O. was pizzed!

Angry medals and politics

I hadn't heard the Klussman story,thanks for sharing.When we were supposed to leave Atsugi for Da Nang we assembled at the airstrip with C130s waiting like 3 days in a row only to be told to go back to the barracks and standby.We actually had boarded once only to off load and be sent back to standby.Finally we boarded,engines fired up but figured they would shut down again,but we took off.Actually they wouldn't tell us where we were going-big secret.We landed in Okinawa where we spent the nite.Another false alarm.Next morning we reboarded and took off-still not being advised of our destination.When we descended it was pitch black,no navigation lights and dropped right out of the sky.When they shut down the engines and opened the ramp it was hot and steamy,lots of activity and we were met by 6buys with armed Marines in them.Not in Kansas anymore Dorthy.We later learned the Japanese government was pitching a ***** about us deploying direct to Viet Nam from their soil.Okinawa had not been returned to them at this time so we actually embared from a US protectorate.I guess this set the stage for a decade of politics and bull**** in the proscution of a war that left many Americans dead on the beaches because of *******s like Mcnamara.You know the rest of the story. Semper Fi Tom

someone is motto lol. honestly i think it looks good on the uniform to have atleast one ribbon or medal on the uniform wen you come out of boot but i think you should only be awarded national defense if sent to war because the key word is defense. how are you defending anything out of boot. look at it this way atleast we arent like the army navy and airforce that graduate basic with 2-3 medals and ribbons lol. my best friend just got home from the navy and has 2 ribbons right out of basic lmao. rediculous how they throw out ribbons and medals. gotta love the boots wen they think they have done something just cuz of that ndsm lol. i have been in the corps a year now and i see boots on boot leave all the time walking around in their blues with the ndsm walking around like they made a difference in the world. myself i have not deployed. i kno i have not made a difference. but i will get my chance next year. i agree with you sgt on not giving the ndsm to everyone who passes basic

I prefer not to worry about how many ribbons a Marine has been awarded.More power to them and they deserve the honor.
    I received 3 medals for my time in the Marine Corps.Armed Forces Expeditionary,Good Conduct,and the National Defense Medal.3/6 got the Navy Unit Commendation Medal for doing the same job we did,go figure.Good for them.They were in to the Dominican Republic a couple of days before us,so I guess that was the reasoning behind why they got the NUC.
    Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Medals and Ribbon's do not Feed tha BULLDOG...Hell when that Rocket blew our REMFERS up in Dong Ha or Quang Tri believe Me alot of our Chit was never put on our DD214's but St.Louis will put All Unit and Personal Awards on Your DD215!!! Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticMarine11 View Post
    someone is motto lol. honestly i think it looks good on the uniform to have atleast one ribbon or medal on the uniform wen you come out of boot but i think you should only be awarded national defense if sent to war because the key word is defense. how are you defending anything out of boot. look at it this way atleast we arent like the army navy and airforce that graduate basic with 2-3 medals and ribbons lol. my best friend just got home from the navy and has 2 ribbons right out of basic lmao. rediculous how they throw out ribbons and medals. gotta love the boots wen they think they have done something just cuz of that ndsm lol. i have been in the corps a year now and i see boots on boot leave all the time walking around in their blues with the ndsm walking around like they made a difference in the world. myself i have not deployed. i kno i have not made a difference. but i will get my chance next year. i agree with you sgt on not giving the ndsm to everyone who passes basic
    Hey numbnuts - the NDSM means you served during a period of "national defense" not that you did anything heroic or if you served in a hostile area. If you have not contributed to the national defense by being a member, you must be hell of a slacker. Whether stateside or overseas, everyone who is involved is doing their part. You may be preparing, but for every (wo)man on the ground, there are many other behind the scenes making it possible for the Marine/Soldier/Airman/Sailor to do their job. You better and everyone else better get their head out of their butt and pay attention to what is going on around you. Where do you think you get everything you have and what you eat? When in a combat zone, it all starts stateside with thousands of people doing their part to obtain, sort, and pack what you need. They may not be in a combat zone, but they are contributing to the success of the guy on the ground. They may not even be military, but they are contributing. Hell, I think those people who are working in different areas providing support should get some kind of civilian medal for their efforts. People see the grunt, but rarely do they see the others...the guy in finance, the cook, the supply clerk, the people in transportation, engineers, communicators, the people at AAFES, the USO, and the people in the Chaplains office. (Sorry I couldn't list everyone, but there just isn't enough room)...the point is, there are hundreds supporting a single person on the ground in the combat zone. You numbnuts out there better learn some respect and expand you pea-brains. You contributed when you decided to become a part of what is going on...and that goes for our fellow warriors in the Army, Navy, Air Force, and yes, the Coast Guard. I respect all of them, including you numbnuts, and along with every civilian who is working to support the military and the United States of America. You said you had not gone over yet...then it is your duty to train hard and be prepared for the day you do go over...I truly hope you do not...but be ready when the call comes. Just because a person doesn't have to dodge bullets on a daily basis does not mean they didn't do anything. I'd like to see how much you could actually do if all those people didn't do their jobs in supporting you. Grow up numbnuts and have respect for everyone who is in the show. Think about who got the tents you sleep in, the food you ate, the clothes you wear. Think outside of your little world and you might be able to appreciate life a little better. Say thank you every chance you get to those who are supporting you and don't worry about the other services. They have their own way of doing things.

I learned very early on in Vietnam to appreciate what I had. I always said nice things to all the cooks and servers as I went though the line to get chow. I smiled and said thank you to the people at the PX. You would be surprised at how much better service I got than my fellow Marines who were not so nice. I did the same when I went to Baghdad in 2006. Respect and good manners worked in 1969 and it still worked in 2006.

Thank you for your service Marine. You rate the NDSM.

If you are awarded a medal are any other award,like shooting medals,then you have earned them.The Marine Corps doesn't give anything away,and we wouldn't have it any other way!
    Semper Fi

national defense medal

Quote Originally Posted by KaoticMarine11 View Post
    It's my understanding that if you are not wearing the awards(medals ) you have been awarded you are out of uniform.Far wiser heads than a PFC have made the decision that you should be wearing this medal-or ribbon.Be proud of your service,your butt might be put on the line at any moment.Our country is in a state of war undeclared or not and you are standing ready to provide national defense-which I thank you for since I'm to damned old to do it anymore. Semper Fi Marine

The regs are actually interesting on this particular issue, Cuba. Basically you have a choice:

Wear them all.
    Wear the first three earned.
    Wear none.

Usually you only see senior officers wearing the top three earned or 'none'. Most enlisted Marines wear them all, or wear nothing (in Charlies and such).

Alphas and blues, you wear them all.

medals

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun View Post
    The regs are actually interesting on this particular issue, Cuba. Basically you have a choice:

Wear them all.
    Wear the first three earned.
    Wear none.

Usually you only see senior officers wearing the top three earned or 'none'. Most enlisted Marines wear them all, or wear nothing (in Charlies and such).

Alphas and blues, you wear them all.
    I hear you sarge.I noticed you have all yours displayed.The corps has never "given" medals for no reason unlike some other branches,who come out of basic E3s on occasion with fire watch ribbons etc.As SSGT Hardy stated there is a reason these awards are made.I think the troops need to respect that and wear them with pride as part of their uniform which I hope they do wear with pride.

I couldn't agree with you more, but the Korean Service Medal I'm entitled to and have spent four years trying to get sure would help on my Civil Service promotional test score.

Talking A little known fact !

I rate two of these ribbons , could care less now !

Thread Information