Intel or Tanks?
Create Post

Thread: Intel or Tanks?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Intel or Tanks?

My goal has always been to be a Marine. I'm 21 years old and just graduated college. Long story, I decided to enlist instead of go for a commission, but I'm torn between going 0200 or 1800.

On one hand, I want to go into tanks because it seems exciting and physical and hoorah, but it does not provide many opportunities if I decide to get out after 4 years.

Intelligence seems very interesting and it offers many opportunities, but it doesn't seem like it provides the hoorah experience I was looking for. It also requires 5 years instead of 4.

Any Marines have any input they could offer?

One thing to consider is that you are enlisting in a field not a MOS. If you enlist under 18xx that doesn't guarantee you will be placed in tanks. When I was at AAV school a lot of my buddies there enlisted in hopes of getting tank crewman but were placed in AAV's.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman0621 View Post
    One thing to consider is that you are enlisting in a field not a MOS. If you enlist under 18xx that doesn't guarantee you will be placed in tanks. When I was at AAV school a lot of my buddies there enlisted in hopes of getting tank crewman but were placed in AAV's.
    That is true and I'm also keeping that in mind. I would still be happy being placed in AAV or EFV.

Well why do you want to join the Corps? Those are very different jobs. Give briefs and paper work or have a combat Mos?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sandman0621 View Post
    Well why do you want to join the Corps? Those are very different jobs. Give briefs and paper work or have a combat Mos?
    I want to serve my country in the best branch the United States has. I want to fight for my country and do my time, but at the same time I have to be realistic because I will need a job when I get out at 26 or 27 years old so I can start a family.

Intel looks like it will provide many good opportunities when I get out. While I'm in, I can still go to a lot of schools and maybe join a Radio Recon unit or something similar. At the same time, operating in a tank or a AAV just seems badass.

For one, just being Intel in the Marines does not make getting a job when you get out a given. Sure the clearance helps, but it's not a given and shoot, you might not like the job. Also, if you enlist under Intel, that encompasses both 0200 and 2600; Radio Recon is only open to 2600's.

Thread Information