Black Flag Days
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Flag Days

Black Flag Days

My son is in Parris Island now. Went August 1st. Seems there is a real hot spell right now and every day has been a Black Flag day.

My question is this: How do they make them into Marines when they are having so many Black Flag Days? What will happen if everyday for the next month or longer is a Black Flag day? No physical training?

Thanks!

Good question; wondered this myself as my niece will be shipping next June 11th so will be there during August as well. We went to PI in June for family day and to watch graduation but never saw a black flag (saw yellow mostly).

I went to MCRD San Diego where the humidity is low and can't remember any black flag days resulting in no outside physical activities.

Since they can't PT, what does your son's platoon do when the black flag is out?

RICK I DONT KNOW IF YOU KNOW THE BLACK FLAG SYSTEM BUT WE MEASURED BOTH HEAT AND HUMITITY TO GET A HEAT INDEX. then we determin the flag colorsBLACK FLAG IS WITH THE HEAT INDEX OF 96 or higher, the humitiy is the killer during my career i had TREATED OVER 100 HEAT EXHAUSTION AND HEAT STROKE PATIENTS AND 5 WERE MEDICALLY RETIRED. I HAD A LOT OF FIGHTS WITH COMPANY GUNNYS IN SOI AND MCT AND I ALWAYS WON.

SEMPER FI I HOPE I ANSWERED YOUR QUESTION

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I wonder if they still use chrome domes ?

Quote Originally Posted by rickrat View Post
    My son is in Parris Island now. Went August 1st. Seems there is a real hot spell right now and every day has been a Black Flag day.

My question is this: How do they make them into Marines when they are having so many Black Flag Days? What will happen if everyday for the next month or longer is a Black Flag day? No physical training?

Thanks!
    Organized PT is a much smaller part of recruit training than it used to be.

There are no flags in the squad bay or on the quarterdeck!

I've been down here in beaufort for a year now and once you get acclimated the heat isnt that bad. Bellow are the flag description from the order.

a. Green Flag (WBGTI of 80°F to 84.9°F). Heavy
    exercises, for unacclimatized personnel, will be conducted
    with caution and under constant supervision.
    b. Yellow Flag (WBGTI of 85°F to 87.9°F). Strenuous
    exercises, such as marching at standard cadence, will be
    curtailed for unacclimatized troops in their first 3 weeks
    per NAVMED P-5010. Avoid outdoor classes in the sun.
    c. Red Flag (WBGTI of 88°F to 89.9°F). All PT will be
    curtailed for those troops who have not become thoroughly
    acclimatized by at least 12 weeks per NAVMED P-5010. Those
    troops who are thoroughly acclimatized may carry on limited
    activity not to exceed 6 hours per day.
    d. Black Flag (WBGTI of 90°F and above). All
    nonessential physical activity will be halted for all units.

So it all depends on what Parris Island deems non-essential which is pretty much nothing except they don't IT you in the sand pit but in the squad bay instead

Im really not sure I recieved an answer to my question.

So according to the schedule, on one friday they were to go on a 3 mile hump. I guess they didnt since it was a black flag day. Then the other day it said they would go to the confidence course, I guess they didnt because they had a black flag day. How will they get them into shape to complete the Crucible if they are not physically training them?

Quote Originally Posted by afraziaaaa View Post
    Organized PT is a much smaller part of recruit training than it used to be.

There are no flags in the squad bay or on the quarterdeck!
    I thought that pt was still a large part of boot camp?

Wonder what happens if the black flag is out during the crucible? Do they cancel it?

No PI DI's out there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    Wonder what happens if the black flag is out during the crucible? Do they cancel it?

No PI DI's out there?
    That is a great question. I am most curious.

I think I may be able to point you in the direction you were wanting to go. The flag system is in place at all Marine Corps installations. However, never did it ever affect what we did/do for PT. When at 29 Palms for Comm school we had plenty of Black Flag days during the summer, however this never kept us from PTing daily. As one Marine pointed out, this prevents non-essential physical activity. However according to MCO, daily PT is essential, therefor not an issue. Also, the training schedule of Recruit Training is very calculated and takes into consideration all factors. It is a crawl, walk, run approach. Although most of us will say it is just a run, we do crawl. We don't start out with the Crucible and the Reaper hike (for you west coasters), we started small, building as we went. Acclimatization takes 3 weeks typically, and you son more than likely is already acclimated to his environment. The training schedule is probably being carried out to the letter, but maybe some of the Drill Instructor's discretionary PT is being reduced. As Marines we do not get a choice in where we fight, and must train in all temperatures to ensure we can fight "in every clime and place". Your son will be fine, and stronger for it.

Well its been a little over ten years since I was in bootcamp, but here's what I remember on our black flag days:

-we did PT inside the barracks...it was hotter and worser than doing it outside, but alot.

-I remember them saying specific training "mile stone" events had to be made up, the three humps you do, O course, etc.

-I am pretty sure they said we'd do the Crucible with black flags out, and I don't think that was just talk. Black flags are overrated anyway, they will endure much worse on deployment and even in the fleet.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post

No PI DI's out there?
    Black flag was out when my son did BWT and Crucible in late june and early july this year-He graduated July 15th- Just left for SOI West on the other coast yeaterday

Quote Originally Posted by rickrat View Post
    Im really not sure I recieved an answer to my question.

So according to the schedule, on one friday they were to go on a 3 mile hump. I guess they didnt since it was a black flag day. Then the other day it said they would go to the confidence course, I guess they didnt because they had a black flag day. How will they get them into shape to complete the Crucible if they are not physically training them?
    Well...I think you did get the answer to your question, but it may not be what you wanted to hear. During black flag, outdoor pt is curtailed for the most part but not indoor. As far as other training, obstacle course, etc., from recollection, if it is cancelled, they will try to make it up on a different day if deemed essential. Otherwise, it won't occur.

You have to keep in mind, that when Marines are sent to Afghanistan, Iraq, etc., and when it gets hot, both side put up black flags, and everybody takes a break from the war until it cools down, and then they resume. (Tongue in cheek, obviously.)

When at El Toro, we had some HOT days, and the red and black would fly. Those who PT'd regularly ignored it, and as long as they hydrated, they were okay.

I suppose the real issue is kids coming from all over the country who are not acclimated.

I never cancel a cross-country training run even if 114 and humid, which it gets to where I live. I may schedule it for 7 pm when it is cooler, 108, and I interrogate the kids. If they have not hydrated properly, they don't run. Those that run, we have water stations throughout. Never had a problem.

Credits
    Savings

Aug.23,1968...................

Black flag days ?? PT'ed our buts off inside, in completely soaked green utilities and an ocean of sweat on the deck ! UGH !!

Thread Information