Can I ship overweight?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can I ship overweight?

first off I must say ive really been working hard to drop my weight, ive been eating ALOT better, drinking a ton of water and running alot. I just dont understand why my weight hasnt gone down. I can pass my IST but my last weigh in was 233 and I need to be at 214 before september 10th! Will they just waive me in at my pre-ship or send me to PCP?
    PS I REALLY DO NOT WANNA GO TO PCP so any advice/hate/comments/what ever will be helpful

thanks

Your recruiter isn't going to send you to boot camp overweight. You can lose 20 lbs in 2 months the healthy way. Change your diet and your exercise program, and if you don't have one, there are plenty of diet and exercise programs in the internet.

Last edited by Lisa 23; 07-04-12 at 10:46 AM.

Just like the Marine above me said. Your recruiter will not send you to boot with you being over weight. The problem with you not losing weight isn't that you're not doing the right things, it's that you're no longer pushing yourself beyond what your body is already used to. Your body adapts to the way you live and accommodates for that, so if you push your body to work out even harder by running faster, longer at different intervals then you'll start seeing results again.

You have until September to lose it anyway, it's super easy. I was 26 pounds over the ship weight for me when I signed my contract, and I've already lost 15 of it in a month, and I don't leave until December.

I dont know if I can loose that much. Not saying im a quitter but its weird, I havent changed my workouts or my diet and at one point I actually lost 10 pounds and was about 222, the fat has not come back but muscle is filling in. I am a very large framed person so is it possible to just get a tape measurement at my pre ship?

by the way I do not do any weight lifting. I run, do pull ups and crunches. Thats it, at the advice of my recruiter who has also noticed this issue

I suppose it is possible that they'll tape you at MEPS and ship you. There are guys that show up overweight. However, granting you the courtesy of a tape at MEPS doesn't mean they'll do the same at MCRD. You get sent to PCP for failing the IST or the inventory PFT. You don't get sent for being overweight. You do, however, get put on half-rats which sucks just as well. And no, they won't tape you at MCRD to see if youf all under. They don't have the time to be bothered, and nobody there is in the business of doing you favors.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Do you really wanna be in the fat body platoon son??? Seriously, you cant think of a way to stay home and degrade yourself on your own , don't expect the usmc to do it for you on our dime, we already got enough to do to make you a marine.
    "if your not part of the solution then you're part of the problem".

Quote Originally Posted by The DUKE View Post
    Do you really wanna be in the fat body platoon son??? Seriously, you cant think of a way to stay home and degrade yourself on your own , don't expect the usmc to do it for you on our dime, we already got enough to do to make you a marine.
    "if your not part of the solution then you're part of the problem".
    not really, I cant degrade myself much, thats why im asking for any and ALL advice. Thanks for the response and no worries I am doing PT and im doing my best to make it to PT when I can. BTW I live literally 21 miles from RSS Altamonte where im DEPed at. I do PT on my own but nothing can compare to PT with Marines. I do need to know if it is possible to ship overweight, not wanting to use it as a crutch, but I do want to ship September 10th. todays weigh in was 231. i RAN 3 miles, did 200 pushups through out the day. I have a pull up strap and did 58 with 50 pounds of assistance and did my usual 250 crunches. what ELSE should I do to drop the weight? I still do need to know if they will tape me at meps. I AM NOT FAT but I am a very large framed guy. Please answer me that because I am stressing!

Quote Originally Posted by Themanwitharock View Post
    . what ELSE should I do to drop the weight?
    Haven't heard much about your diet. What are you eating? How many calories per day do you take in?

What do you estimate you are burning?

If you are serious these are things you should know.

You can PT till your heart explodes, but if you do not eat right you're not going to get the results you are looking for.

My guess is your diet can be tweaked, plus a little change up on your workout. You've likely hit a plateau, mentally and physically.

You are right nobody can motivate you like the USMC, but, let me help. I have said since the day I graduated MCRD PI that the last place I would ever want to be at bootcamp is in the PCP. My feelings have not changed in over twenty years. Don't go there overweight.

Good luck.

And running, doing pullups and push ups isn't the only form of exercise that's going to help you lose the weight you need to lose. You need to add more to your workout. There are plenty of different types of ab workouts out there on the internet. You can also do planks, burpees, squats, lunges (side & front), side bends, even aerobics....and these are just to name a few.
    Stop using wanting to get tapped as a crutch.....and stop stressing. Stressing isn't helping you any with losing the weight you need to lose either. If you're not at your weight by time your shipdate comes in September, it's not the end of the world. You'll ship at a later date.
    If you really want to be a Marine, stop with the excuses and get your rear in gear and lose the weight you need to lose.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Throw away all the crap you've ever heard about carb's,
    and eliminate them from your diet,
    you don't need them,
    all the stuff they used to tell you in high school about the carb's being the quick burning energy source,
    which is what they tell you about football payers and sumo wrestlers gulping them down for the quick burn energy is fubar,
    dump them right now,
    everything and anything to do with carb's,
    I dropped 69 lbs in two month back in the day ,
    just stopped eating breads, pasta, pizza, doughnuts, cakes ,
    all that carb loaded stuff,
    you'll see the weight drop off.

And if you haven't already, stop drinking soda and drink plenty of water!

*update*
    Im down 3 pounds. but my weight is still going up and down throughout the day. Well what I should say is my average morning weight is now 228. I need to ship on my shipdate, 100% needs to happen that day for reasons I dont want to explain in public. I really wanted one thing answered which I still havent gotten, will they let me ship if im like 10 pounds over? I do not care if I go to PCP, I really just NEED to leave that day. I am working my butt off and trying to adhere to all the advice ive been getting but I would like my mind at ease with a simple yes or no

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Son,
    you do not even want to step out onto them yellow footprints and wind up in PCP,
    good god you will be in such a world of hurt if you don't pass that initial PFT
    I did a few weekend details to help out the DI;s running them poor bastards through the little chu-loi villiage back in the day,
    dropping smoke granade's in the tunnels so they come out choking on the other end and puke up their breakfast or lunch,
    or firing live ammo over them at a safe distance of course, but they dont know that, these little pussies never heard a shot fired in anger in their whole lives so theyre ****ing and ****ting all the way through the muid trials,
    then to top it off we got to ride int he back of the duce and a half and watch them drop out like flies on the run back to the barracks, you really wanna do that **** for the first two or three weeks your there since you cant work off that last 10-15 lbs here, not too bright boy.

Quote Originally Posted by themanwitharock View Post
    i really wanted one thing answered which i still havent gotten, will they let me ship if im like 10 pounds over? I do not care if i go to pcp, i really just need to leave that day. I am working my butt off and trying to adhere to all the advice ive been getting but i would like my mind at ease with a simple yes or no
    No!!!

Thread Information