H&MS-17, 1st MAW, Danang 68-69 - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    so there must have been several times the bomb dump went up........

late april 69 was the one I was there for.

bomb dump

Quote Originally Posted by Noynik View Post
    I remember the very large mushroom cloud exposions with the white condensation rings blowing outward in the sky. As soon as they passed overhead we were knocked on our butts. You could see the marsh grass lay down and come back up as the concusion traveled over them. When it got to the air field we saw it take down hangers!! The damage all over the area was quite extensive.
    that's what I remember------ do you remember that time as april of 69?

I'm guessing it had happened before july of 67-
    according to other posts

Quote Originally Posted by Noynik View Post
    Looking for fellow marines who stayed in H&MS-17 or 1st MAW Headquarters around 1968/69.
    I was in the Avionics Shop H&MS17, 1st MAW from Jan. 1968 to Oct. 1968. I have a few vivid memories of events that happened that year including the TET Offensive. I spent most of my tour on Reactionary Platoon as well as putting in 12 hours a day, 7 days a week working on busted and blasted electronics. I don't remember any names of the personnel there but, I remember when the A4 attempted a landing with a broken strut and ended up in our hanger after nearly taking out the Maintenance Office. The Air Force crash crew followed it all the way foaming it down because of sidewinders still attached to the wings.

Interesting. I got to Danang approx. 20 Sept 1968 and went to H & MS 17 - in the Group Supply unit. I probably became the "gopher" or liason to ICECUB in spring 69 and did it for 4-6 months. The part I went to was an air conditioned trailer with a bunch of guys working there. I had little idea of their job other than the electronics of the planes. What I most remember was the late april 69 bomb dump going up. the jan 69 tet offensive. the sep 3 69 Ho Chi Minh death...... and flying out on 8 oct 69. I had a couple of r & r's to Hong kong while there in Danang....... interesting tour and I was lucky to be involved in little of the **** going down...... we had rocket attacks and a few excursions out into the countryside...... but no wholesale slaughter that I witnessed..... I was very young, 19-20 or so.

Did you know a guy by the name of Mike Dolan? I think his nick name was "Rocket Man".

No, I can't place a Mike Dolan.....

Wow, I was there from 08/66-09/67 and 02/68-04/69. I was with H&MS-17 and worked in the avonics shop. I also flew the flare ships to get the flight pay and wings. I wish I could figure out who some of you guys are because I'm sure I know you. I also have pictures but I'm not sure how to post them...... Any help would be appreciated.

Bill Campbell Sgt. USMC

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysWillBe View Post
    WOW!!!! I was in the Avionics shop of H&MS-17 from Dec. '67 to Jan. '69!!!!
    The squadron doesn't exist any more and I've lost touch with everyone.
    I was there before the water tower was built. Cold showers only at that time.
    And also the night the E-1, 2 & 3's used a truck to pull the old EM club down!!!!
    I believe that was New Years eve. I remember it well......... I'm not admitting any guilt. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackcat View Post
    I believe that was New Years eve. I remember it well......... I'm not admitting any guilt. LOL!
    Hey, Blackcat, I think you were the Sgt. that dragged me around to all the drinking holes every night for about 4 months until the club was closed. That didn't stop us though. We went to the Army bomb dump a couple of times. There was another Marine that was with us from time to time. He was a Cpl. and I think his first name was Carl. Ring any bells?

I Was A Corpsman at MWSG-17 from Sept68-Aug69

Hey you Marines from MWSG-17-Sep68toOct69--It's me-Doc Wilder-hutch F8-I know you guys remember me.I patched all you guys up at the Dispensory-All the Corpsman that we're at MWSG-17-We're Great. Big Willy-the Pharmarcist-Lil Willy,Mccillip-2nd degree blackbelt-in Shotokan karate.Alan W.Crowe,Little Joe,Teddy Tucker,Huey,Fraily,The Studying Detective,Keith Graham,Mike the Dental tech,The replacement Dental-tech-The Corpsman from Penn.Another HM2-Huey-Hey It's 42 years-I forgot some Corpsman.Now for some of My People-the Marines I remember.Rocketman,Green Monster,Head,The Marine that worked in supply-We went to Udorn for a RON-I was the Corpsman that was in the Chow-Hall and a bullet went through the tin roof but was stopped-by the fluorcent light or it would have gone through my head.
    I must commend Dr John Merjavy and Dr Flight Surgeon Crash Johnson-For the Medical Work they did-at all hours.They are the Best-from MWSG-17.Anyway if any of you Marines-want to write me-allnwldr@hotmail.com-----It was my Honor
    and Great Privilege-to serve you guys at MWSG-17---YOU ARE MY PEOPLE-AND MY FAMILY-HM3 Allan Wilder-Roger-Out

A Person I Forgot,But I'm sure you will Rember

The Person I forgot was Kim-that worked at the EM-Club------Now you guys-Remember........Hm3 Wilder ............Roger Out.

The new Dental-Tech's name is Joe;Gary is the name of the Corpsman from Penn.I forgot HM2 DOC Tom.He really knew how to keep the Corpsman spirits up-even when "we"-felt bad about something that happened, All the time.A Marine that I remember well is-"Chief"-don't get him mad.I see that there are really not that many entries-to the MWSG-17's Listing here.There were so many people on the First Marine Airwing-MWSG-17-that I remember.I say God Bless All the Service Men and Women.I was in Washington D.C. for the start of Mormorial Day Weekend.It was great seeing "Rolling-Thunder".I saw alot of active duty people.I really felt close to all of them.Iv'e been out of the Service for 42 years-but I'll tell Ya-I miss that life.The body and mind never forgets- and I have the Greatest Respect-for the Marines,Corpsman,Army Medics-and Radiomen....So as the sun comes up-it's time to go-Write me-if you remember-Captain's Nite-at the EM-club,The Movie outside the EM-club;the bugs in the bread-at the chow hall.There are ofcause-things that happened-at MWSG-17,that are known only by the people tht were there.So all you Grunts out there, 0311's-God Bless You-and Watch your Backs.HM3 Doc Wilder............Roger Out.

Hey Doc, I responded earlier via private message, it's me - Rocketman. I also have great memories of '17. I was on the H&MS side, but lived only a couple of hootches away from you. I don't know if you remember them, but a couple of friends from the 'glassine envelope society' popped up here. Big Al (Bert Kinyon), Rau man - (Andy Anderson) and Do-Right man (Doug - don't remember his last name, but like Bert he was in disbursing). I also remember Dr. Merjavy, and a funny incident involving him and my pet fly in the mess hall.

I also remember when one of the corpsman hootches got hit in a rocket attack. And of course you would need to be deeply into the throes of Alzheimers not to remember when the bomb dump went off.

Regards,
    Mike Dolan

I remember Kim. I have pictures of her and her kid....... I'll have to go find them.

Quote Originally Posted by HM3 Doc Wilder View Post
    The Person I forgot was Kim-that worked at the EM-Club------Now you guys-Remember........Hm3 Wilder ............Roger Out.

That was probably Cpl J.L. Farmer........ LOL! I remember some of it well!

Quote Originally Posted by lowdaw View Post
    Hey, Blackcat, I think you were the Sgt. that dragged me around to all the drinking holes every night for about 4 months until the club was closed. That didn't stop us though. We went to the Army bomb dump a couple of times. There was another Marine that was with us from time to time. He was a Cpl. and I think his first name was Carl. Ring any bells?

Thread Information