Looking for vietnam veterans 65-69 1st division hqbn comm co - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [IMG]/http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/850/dadwl.jpg/[/IMG]

i added his pictures to my profile, i'm sorry for my late reply buy my internet access is limited. My profile has his picture, I don't know how to upload it to this thread. I tried to link it but it wouldn't work. Thanks to anyone who can help.

he was often called "Bob" instead of robert, if that rings any bells. He ordered a christmas dinner from the top of the sixes restaurant when he was in da nang, i dont know how he did it though, but he did. If that rings any bells, I would love to hear from you.

Yes. I recognize him. He got to the Comm Center about July or August, I think, of ’68. He actually hung out sometimes with a Lance Corporal Karpensky, who was one of the teletype techs that worked for me.
    I remember one morning, your dad, Karpensky , and I got off a 12 hour shift at 7:00AM. Went to chow and then hitched a ride to Freedom Hill, and waited for the movie house to open. Paid the 25 cents to get in, sat in the last row, and slept through the movie. Was the only air conditioned building that we could hang out in, and sleep.
    Your dad had another friend that was also one of the Model 21 TTY operators. I know he was from the mid-West, but my mind is not so good with some of those details. I cannot remember his name.
    I had completed this tour in October, so I am not aware of his Christmas dinner order.
    I did return to Danang in May of ’69, and made a trip over to the Comm Center , mid-May, to see a couple of the Marines that were still there, I had worked with previously. I think your father was still there then, but I am not positive.
    Sorry I can’t remember more. I am sure there are a couple of other Marines on here, that will recognize him, also.
    Best of luck in your search.

Quote Originally Posted by sempidr View Post
    Yes. I recognize him. He got to the Comm Center about July or August, I think, of ’68. He actually hung out sometimes with a Lance Corporal Karpensky, who was one of the teletype techs that worked for me.
    I remember one morning, your dad, Karpensky , and I got off a 12 hour shift at 7:00AM. Went to chow and then hitched a ride to Freedom Hill, and waited for the movie house to open. Paid the 25 cents to get in, sat in the last row, and slept through the movie. Was the only air conditioned building that we could hang out in, and sleep.
    Your dad had another friend that was also one of the Model 21 TTY operators. I know he was from the mid-West, but my mind is not so good with some of those details. I cannot remember his name.
    I had completed this tour in October, so I am not aware of his Christmas dinner order.
    I did return to Danang in May of ’69, and made a trip over to the Comm Center , mid-May, to see a couple of the Marines that were still there, I had worked with previously. I think your father was still there then, but I am not positive.
    Sorry I can’t remember more. I am sure there are a couple of other Marines on here, that will recognize him, also.
    Best of luck in your search.
    Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. You just brought my father back to life for a moment as i read that. That was really great, thanks very much. Would you happen to know Lance Corporal Karpensky? Is he online? ALso, would you know of any websites dedicated for veterans of headquarters battalian that my father served in? I found lots of websites dedicated to the first marines, such and such battalian, but couldnt find my father's. I would love to hear from any other men who served with my father, are there many on this site?

Again, thank you very much. You served with my dad, thats huge to me.

johnk1985,

I am real sorry I can’t remember more, but ---- the interesting thing is, after 44 years, getting on this site, and occasionally playing like a troll, listening and watching the interplay of the participants, (by the way, who are the greatest bunch of Marines I know, and to this day, I know they wouldn’t leave me behind, and that is a Brotherhood like none other on this Earth), they jar the old bucket rest, and I keep remembering things, every day. (Sorry for the run-on sentence(Blaming on the caffeine)).
    I tried to find Karpensky, but that was 25 years ago. I will do some internet searching and see if I can find him or some info on him. Still need to try to remember some more details.
    I will send you a PM, and we should keep in touch. Last night I remembered a little incident during evening chow at the Hill 327 chow hall. Your dad had taken the dessert off of the tray of one of his friends, who had gotten up to get more milk, and he got real ****ed at your dad. We all had a laugh, but several of us called your dad “Hijack” for about two months after that.
    “You know, that Bob Hijack guy.”

Ever forward
    Sempidr

Quote Originally Posted by sempidr View Post
    johnk1985,

I am real sorry I can’t remember more, but ---- the interesting thing is, after 44 years, getting on this site, and occasionally playing like a troll, listening and watching the interplay of the participants, (by the way, who are the greatest bunch of Marines I know, and to this day, I know they wouldn’t leave me behind, and that is a Brotherhood like none other on this Earth), they jar the old bucket rest, and I keep remembering things, every day. (Sorry for the run-on sentence(Blaming on the caffeine)).
    I tried to find Karpensky, but that was 25 years ago. I will do some internet searching and see if I can find him or some info on him. Still need to try to remember some more details.
    I will send you a PM, and we should keep in touch. Last night I remembered a little incident during evening chow at the Hill 327 chow hall. Your dad had taken the dessert off of the tray of one of his friends, who had gotten up to get more milk, and he got real ****ed at your dad. We all had a laugh, but several of us called your dad “Hijack” for about two months after that.
    “You know, that Bob Hijack guy.”

Ever forward
    Sempidr
    haha thanks, i heard the hijack joke a few times myself. cool to hear it happened to my dad as well! il check my pm now
    thanks again for your time, really appreciate it

I served in Comm Company, Headquarters Battalion 1st, Mar Div, from March 1967

I served in Comm Co from March 1967 to October 1968. what can I answer for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by johnk1985 View Post
    My father served in the communications company of the headquarters Battalion 1st division marines. He was in Da nang in 1968 and 1969.

Is there any men who seved with him here? He passed away in 2005 from a long term illness. I want to find pictures of him because I can't find any at home.

I want to know anything.

Thanks

Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KIMillager View Post
    I served in Comm Co from March 1967 to October 1968. what can I answer for you?
    do you know my father? What did the job in comm co entail? Do you have any photos that have pictures of your friends or other men that I could see?

im sorry i did not know you replied, i just checked this page now

I wonder if we are related? My bio father gave me up for adoption in 1968. His name was Robert Jonathan Michael Kijak. According to my Mom, he was from NJ, but had been stationed in San Diego before shipping out to Vietnam in 1968. Did he have a mole above the left side of his lip? He was a marine, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa2014 View Post
    I wonder if we are related? My bio father gave me up for adoption in 1968. His name was Robert Jonathan Michael Kijak. According to my Mom, he was from NJ, but had been stationed in San Diego before shipping out to Vietnam in 1968. Did he have a mole above the left side of his lip? He was a marine, as well.
    Hi Melissa,
    I hope we are related because my mom told my sister and me about you before, we wanted to find you but didnt know where to look. Your mom is right, he was from new jersey and he was stationed in san diego before he went to vietnam in 68. I wonder if you could private message me your email and we could continue to talk? I'm delighted to hear from you.

I think this website Leatherneck did some good today. S/F

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    I think this website Leatherneck did some good today. S/F
    It really did! What a great outcome!

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Outstanding !!!

Thread Information