Am I ready for OCS?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Am I ready for OCS?

I am a college graduate and have long thought of the possibility of a career in the military, only for the USMC though. The public persona of the brotherhood associated with it drew me in as soon as I met with a recruiter during a college fair.

I work out costantly always with the USMC 1st class PFT requirements looming in the back of my mind. I wan't to go to OCS so badly but can't imagine not graduating, the mere thought of failing is the sole reason I'm yet to ship out.

I can max at 100 situps and run a 19:37. I'm 6'5'' 220 (fit and in shape) but the pullups do me in as I can only get a max of 7, on a good day. I do pushups and run with a 40lbs vest but I know I'll be competing against people that have better bodies for strength oriented training (short/stalky).

I graduated with honors from a D1 university and simply want to know if leadership is a major part of the curriculam at OCS as everyone says. Thanks for anyone who responds, your insight is extremely appreciated.

WANNABE Levey

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by levey24 View Post
    I am a college graduate and have long thought of the possibility of a career in the military, only for the USMC though. The public persona of the brotherhood associated with it drew me in as soon as I met with a recruiter during a college fair.

I work out costantly always with the USMC 1st class PFT requirements looming in the back of my mind. I wan't to go to OCS so badly but can't imagine not graduating, the mere thought of failing is the sole reason I'm yet to ship out.

I can max at 100 situps and run a 19:37. I'm 6'5'' 220 (fit and in shape) but the pullups do me in as I can only get a max of 7, on a good day. I do pushups and run with a 40lbs vest but I know I'll be competing against people that have better bodies for strength oriented training (short/stalky).

I graduated with honors from a D1 university and simply want to know if leadership is a major part of the curriculam at OCS as everyone says. Thanks for anyone who responds, your insight is extremely appreciated.

WANNABE Levey
    Read the site rules and stickies, then complete your profile. Come back after you are done.

Credits
    Savings
    You are kinda heavy and tall for a Lady, and I don't think you have to do pullups in 4th Bn.

Keep checking Missy, and you will find that of which you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by BigAlHolmes165 View Post
    You are kinda heavy and tall for a Lady, and I don't think you have to do pullups in 4th Bn.

Keep checking Missy, and you will find that of which you seek.

I'm a male, and my profile has been filled out *as far as I know*

Credits
    Savings
    You're afraid of failing OCS? If you got through college, I'd imagine you should be able to make it! Don't let fear stop you...you're already starting on the wrong foot to be a Marine! I was terrified leaving for boot camp, but I still got on that plane!

Just go for it man! 7 pull ups isnt that great but its not horrible either. Try to get to like 12 or so by the time you leave! More would be better, of course...

Laf, college is much harder than anything I've had to do in the Corps. Don't worry, I'm sure they tell you everything to do, just follow along...fast.

If you question yourself now, what do you think you are going to do when the **** hits the fan and you have to make life or death assessments and make decisions. This isn't what you see on TV and the consequences are real. Understand that before making a life decision that you "may not be ready for"

Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody View Post
    If you question yourself now, what do you think you are going to do when the **** hits the fan and you have to make life or death assessments and make decisions. This isn't what you see on TV and the consequences are real. Understand that before making a life decision that you "may not be ready for"

what do i think? i think i'll have proper training and in no way am I in question of my leadership/decision making skills, but more in the physical preperation necessary to be successful at OCS. That is obviously what my post is implying.

Credits
    Savings
    what do i think? i think i'll have proper training and in no way am I in question of my leadership/decision making skills, but more in the physical preperation necessary to be successful at OCS.That is obviously what my post is implying.
    Really. Well Woody must be a dumbass, and I stand with him.

Quote Originally Posted by levey24
    Whatever your post implies, it was confusing as hell. I saw nowhere where you asked about anything but leadership.

Truthfully, 7 pullups sucks, and you ain't gonna cut it with that sad display of physical ability.

Really. Well Woody must be a dumbass, and I stand with him.

Whatever your post implies, it was confusing as hell. I saw nowhere where you asked about anything but leadership.

Truthfully, 7 pullups sucks, and you ain't gonna cut it with that sad display of physical ability.

why you guys getting so upset lol ?

Credits
    Savings
    1. Why is it, when the questions are asked, then the answers given, and they don't suit you, do folks become upset, looking for something else.

2. You expected Woody to look up your dress and rad your mind?? **** with 1 Marine, and you **** with them all.

That's Marines to you....and I'd watch your tone there when speaking to Marines!

**** with 1 Marine, and you **** with them all.
    You got that right Big Al......

Rgr that. Listen up to what these fine Marines are telling you. We KNOW what it takes, you don't. It's fine if you ask questions, but don't get mad when the answers aren't what you expected to hear. And just for record, you might not want to back talk any Marines, it's a bad habit to get into, and do it at OCS and you'll find out quick it's something you shouldn't do.

Seems like your run and sit ups are good...but 7 pullups is pathetic, especially for an officer. Work on those and go to OCS, keep an open mind, shout as loud as you can, and move with intensity. Everything else will fall into place...but you better stop doubting yourself now. I never thought I could anything before I joined the Corps, you'll learn you can do a LOT more than you could ever imagine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Woody is an Afghan vet and many of us are Vietnam vets. We know the absolute necessity for decisive, competent, and CONFIDENT officer leadership.

We VN vets are not in danger of being led in combat by you, but Woody potentially is: he has a vested interest in getting the best.

Remember we are the Marine Corps: Where the weak are killed and eaten.

Thread Information