DOD Stickers No Longer Required to Enter Military Base
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DOD Stickers No Longer Required to Enter Military Base

DOD stickers no longer required to enter a military base? I'm not sure how I feel about this. In this day in age, it seems like we're lowering our guard. For those that live on a military base, do you think this is a decrease in security, an increase, or that it won't change anything?

http://www.navytimes.com/community/o...pinski_070604/

http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/mi...7020be37a.html

The article raises a good point.

"The decal means more than just base access," Capt. Brian Block said. "It also means you own that car, have insurance and are legally allowed to drive. We will probably seek a waiver, and a decision on that should come out soon."

It sounds like more appeasement to me. The Pentagon said they are doing away with the decals because of "privacy concerns."

What does that mean?

FoxtrotOscar
    Guest Free Member
    I tend to agree with the premise that the little decal on a vehicle leads the majority of Security personnel to become lax in their ability to ascertain if the occupant is legal or not..

I think that upon entrance "ALL" vehicles and occupants be required to show ID's and anything else before being admitted entrance..

That's security...

For years I have seen decals on vehicles that were sitting on used car lots. Nothing to keep a civilian from buying said vehicle and driving onto a base with it, because the decal is not expired. When a military person sells a vehicle you are supposed to take the decal off the vehicle. If you believe that always happens, I know where there is a bridge for sale.

The sticker also provided a good target indicator while you are out in town... Hey look this vehicle is owned by a officer/enlisted/WO/civilian who is affiliated with the Military.

Would requiring all non military to go through a background check (that they pay for), and get a "civilian" military base ID be too much to ask?

At least the decal added a low level of security... now anyone can get on base as long as the car they're driving isn't stolen.

The "civilian" base ID would rid the decal, but still maintain some level of security.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveOfCountry View Post
    Would requiring all non military to go through a background check (that they pay for), and get a "civilian" military base ID be too much to ask?

At least the decal added a low level of security... now anyone can get on base as long as the car they're driving isn't stolen.
    And how exactly would you propose the DoD carry that out? They are already getting ready for BRAC once again at most bases, I don't think they would allocate someone for that. Every base now per DoD directive is switching over to the DBIDs system of scanning ID cards anyway now. No one will go through the gates unless your ID is in the system.

I agree with TheReservist, DoD stickers make you a target, especially when traveling. They are obsolete in today's day and age. The new system of scanning all ID's upon arrival to the installation gates are more practical and better. Eliminating DoD stickers is in NO WAY letting our guard down at all.

Do not know how it works at Pleasure Island, but at MCRD, SD, it has always been easy to get aboard the base. Anyone who wants to come aboard the base, come on Friday as that is graduation day and many, many, many civilians are let aboard. Just tell the sentrythat you are there for graduation and your in. Really not much aboard the base that is classified. It's the show place of the Marine Corps. After spending my 7 years there on the field and then working on the base for 13 years after retirement, I personally never had a problem getting aboard or departing the base.

Security is not lowered, in fact it's increased. Every vehicle entering a base has to stop at the gate and proper ID's have to be shown. It used to be that if you had a sticker on your car they would just wave you on through, not so anymore.

Who knows, they may have purchased that new system that our local police department tested. The system can scan multiple plates in seconds, and within seconds, they can have a full profile of the owner of the car as well as all information regarding that owner. I personally don't like it as it is again Big Brother checking up on you with out knowing, but on our installations, it might be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
    Security is not lowered, in fact it's increased. Every vehicle entering a base has to stop at the gate and proper ID's have to be shown. It used to be that if you had a sticker on your car they would just wave you on through, not so anymore.
    so true but any car that does not have a sticker here on Ft Knox has to go to a bldg just before the main gate the only gate that non decal cars can go in though and have to show Ins card and reg. for the car and tell why they are going on base

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    It's not exactly hard to get on base without it, even if you don't have a military ID. All you have to do is have the name, rank and unit of someone who they can verify that's on the base, show some insurance and registration and you're on. Not exactly too hard. And every little study we've done in my shop about "how would you get a bomb on a military base" usually starts with stealing a car with a decal. And it's, as stated, pretty much a "I'M MILITARY! TARGET ME!" sign on your car.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I pass through a gate every day. I have no decals and it really doesn't matter if I'm driving my own car or a rental. I show ID .... the ID is most of the time scanned and occasionally just verified that it is me and it has not expired. Individuals going through that gate without an ID have to show license and registration and have a thorough vehicle inspection. There is a special lane for that. Contractors etc go through that daily.

When we arrived in germany they actually scraped all stickers off the windows and gave us a european license plate.

My opinion is that if you have an ID card it is easier to get onto Quantico than it is to get on to Ft. Bragg. Neither requires a base decal.

Years back I went onto Pearl Harbor during a hundred percent ID check. Their routine was if you had decals and just held up your ID you were waived on. I had forgotten my wallet that day and because I had base decals and was holding up a dollar bill that had been folded to the approx size of an ID card I was waived on.

Quote Originally Posted by ARTYPIG View Post
    Who knows, they may have purchased that new system that our local police department tested. The system can scan multiple plates in seconds, and within seconds, they can have a full profile of the owner of the car as well as all information regarding that owner.
    The local PD has this in some of the SUV's. They pull over cars that are flaged, and a lot of people who should not be on the streets, get removed from the streets.

I like it.

even though Non decal cars m ust go to the main gate anyone can go to the Patton Museum park in the outside the fance parking area and walk on Base though the walk-in gate to the Museum there is no Gaurd at that gate and on one range road you can step over a gaurd rail and be on base there are civilan houses right there

Thread Information