Hue City Tet 68
Create Post

Thread: Hue City Tet 68

Hue City Tet 68

[B][SIZE="6"][COLOR="DarkRed"]Well it has been 44 years since this old Marine got his PHD in Hue University. Graduated with Honors and Distinction and all my appendages! Every day I think about those days and hours of constant urban warfare. So many memories some good most not. Can't sleep can't stop the brain housing group. So many good Marines KIA and wounded in the Vietnam version of Iwojima. Invisible scars left on each of us for life.
    God Bless any of my brothers here who survived Hue City!

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Doug, you and Russ have all my Honor and blessings, brother. As well as all who gave up a part of their sanity there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    Doug, you and Russ have all my Honor and blessings, brother. As well as all who gave up a part of their sanity there.

Billy, Of all the things I lost, I miss my mind the most!

I was 20 when I went into Hue, a non-smoker. I came out of there a smoking fool, everybody there smoked. Today I only smoke when I think about all those times. My wife says I smoke too much. Just saying. S/F

YOU ALL ARE MY HEROS and I AM VERY HONORED AND HUMBLED BY YOUR FRIENDSHIP.

SEMPER FI MY BROTHERS LOVE YOU ALL AND GODBLESS YOU ALL AND YOUR FAMILIES

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF

Russ, been thinking of you and our brothers who survived Hue. Each day brings back memories of events from those black days. But the memories no longer hold the power over me that they once did. God bless you my brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kirk View Post
    Russ, been thinking of you and our brothers who survived Hue. Each day brings back memories of events from those black days. But the memories no longer hold the power over me that they once did. God bless you my brother.
    Thanks Doug. I've mellowed out a great deal over the years, I'm not as intense or hard as I once was, thank God for that. As I've said before, I do realize that I've been changed forever, problem is that it's been so long since I've lost my innocence that I can't even remember what it was like before then.

In my life since Hue City I've realized a long time ago that no one even knows about those times let alone could possibly understand them, except for a few of you all on this website. So I deal with my demons myself and stay away from confrontations, riding the Indian rests my soul a great deal.

Every Tuesday evening 8-12 of us combat vets get together for some beers and we talk about how things are going for us. Most of them were Army infantry, only 1 was a Marine crew chief who was at a lot of the places we all were during our time.

I must ad that as bad as Hue was, though quite different, Meade River where Billy and Fist and I were was also in the same category for me. I never saw myself dying at Hue, at the Hook I just knew I was dead.

That war will always be with me, but for today anyway, I'm going to ride the Iindian and I'll remember to bring my smokes. God bless each of you my brothers. S/F

Quote Originally Posted by doc h fmf View Post
    YOU ALL ARE MY HEROS and I AM VERY HONORED AND HUMBLED BY YOUR FRIENDSHIP.

SEMPER FI MY BROTHERS LOVE YOU ALL AND GODBLESS YOU ALL AND YOUR FAMILIES

STEPHEN DOC HANSEN HM3 FMF
    Doc - Thank you for your comments, it was just our time. I thank you for your friendship as well. S/F

Mongoose
    Guest Free Member
    Although there was nothing sane or practical about my time in the Nam. I am grateful that the generations of my family, both before and after me, can say, at least he did what he could, when he could, for our Country.

Although there was nothing sane or practical about my time in the Nam. I am grateful that the generations of my family, both before and after me, can say, at least he did what he could, when he could, for our Country.

AMEN to that!

You certainly did a lot Billy. Thank you again for you and your crew being there when I needed you.

Doug, Hue City was one terrible place. I think that it's where I went into PTSD, it gave me a lot of strength though as ever since then I've compared every other place I've been to there. "Ain't so Bad" has since gone through my head many times in my life since then. You and I have talked before that we lost our "fear" there, I've often wondered though did we just become so numb that we just didn't give a **** anymore.

I've often wondered what if the Marine Corps has just pulled us all out of the Nam after that one and sent us home, how would our lives have been. Of course that didn't happen as we had become valued "Combat Vets" and they needed us to form the nucleus for all the fng's coming into our ranks. We often used to talk about how could they keep sending in the "best of the best" and expect us to keep coming out of that ****, we all knew that we couldn't, it was just a matter of time. We saw it continuously all around us. Most of the time it was the newer guys that got it, but every so often it would be one of us. That's what really hit home to me.

I remember one night when I woke up from a bad dream on line deep in the **** and I asked "where are we" and my brother said "We're still alive," and I said "we are?" The real and the unreal had become so confusing, which one was really real as this continuos nightmare all around me couldn't be real.

I still have those dreams occasionally where I don't know what is real and what is a dream. I look in the morror and say" This old fat bald guy couldn't be that same warrior?" LOL

Normally when I look into the mirror I still see that same 20 year old looking back at me. I know it's not what others see though, yesterday one of my 6 year old granddaughters was over at the house and she said "Grandpa, come and play with me." I said in just a minute and she said "come on old Man." From the mouth of babes. I started laughing my ass off.

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Normally when I look into the mirror I still see that same 20 year old looking back at me. I know it's not what others see though, yesterday one of my 6 year old granddaughters was over at the house and she said "Grandpa, come and play with me." I said in just a minute and she said "come on old Man." From the mouth of babes. I started laughing my ass off.
    If the shoe fits!

Thread Information