Drill
Create Post

Thread: Drill

Exclamation Drill

I took NJROTC in highschool and am now in the process of enlisting in the Marine corps. I never did very well with drill practice due to me not being able to stay in cadence. My only problems with staying in cadence come with my column right and column left executions ussually I had no problems any where else in drill practice. Im probably just obsessing about this but would you reccomend practicing drill movements before arriving at PI?

Thanx

Install pebble in left shoe. Do not worry about practicing drill. Whatever you practice will be wrong 99% of the time. Your Drill Instructors will teach you drill and you will learn it the Marine Corps Way or spend most of you time in the pit. You never know, by the time you get to Boot Camp they may be doing Squads Right Drill.

Don't worry about it, you will have plenty of time to get good at it during boot camp.

The one advantage I think about learning drill and getting good at it before bootcamp is if you have aspirations of becoming the platoon guide (guides usually graduate a PFC). Initially, Drill Instructors pick the guide based on marching skills (JROTC, etc.). After some time to observe, guides may change based on the ability to drill and leadership skills. If you can't drill or lead the platoon there is no hope of being the guide.

Like already said...you will get good at it in bootcamp...there is no other option. How long it takes you to get good will determine how much time you spend in the pit (and you do not want to be there).

If you DEP in, your recruiter may teach some basic drill.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Top View Post
    The one advantage I think about learning drill and getting good at it before bootcamp is if you have aspirations of becoming the platoon guide (guides usually graduate a PFC). Initially, Drill Instructors pick the guide based on marching skills (JROTC, etc.). After some time to observe, guides may change based on the ability to drill and leadership skills. If you can't drill or lead the platoon there is no hope of being the guide.

Like already said...you will get good at it in bootcamp...there is no other option. How long it takes you to get good will determine how much time you spend in the pit (and you do not want to be there).

If you DEP in, your recruiter may teach some basic drill.
    In my day as an 8511 I would never pick a JROTC private for the position of guide. Reason being, they have too many bad habits and think they know more than the Drill Instructor concerning drill and during my days on the field JROTC was taken in school because they wanted to get out of P.E. That being the case they were in terrible shape and could not P.T.

I would normally look for a private who was short and that way I insured that the cadence would be held down. If the short private could not handle it he would be fired and replaced with a very motivated private.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Having been in the Civil Air Patrol during high school, I knew my military right from left when I went to boot camp. It helped avoid unwanted attention for the first few days when the Drill Instructors concentrated on the klutzy. After a bit, they figured out who obviously had a bit of prior close order drill experience (I wasn't the only one) and the honeymoon was over.

Plus, most JROTC and CAP units do not drill under arms, so that part was completely new and distracting. I remember clearly that learning how to do inspection arms with the M-14 was the hardest part for me. I'm sure I looked like a monkey having sex with a football.

No biggie, you will learn or you'll get really strong. Remember too, the Marine Corps does close order drill somewhat differently from the other services, so you might be better off just going as you are. The DIs do explain and demonstrate the drill movements, so it may click in your head better there. Plus you will have a lot more practice time.

Drill's useless after boot camp. Just get through boot camp knowing just enough to get by and you'll be strait.

I suggest you dont even waste your time practicing. You seriously spend the first 3 weeks doing strait up drill. If your not at chow or PTing your drilling, drilling, drilling some more, and did I mention drilling? You drill so much, the thought will almost make you sick. Dont worry, after the first week, you go from complete garbage at drill, to just trash. You'll get a hang of it, or get strong, one of the two.

Drill is life and life is drill, so said my DI to me.

I sucked and still suck at drill. It definitely made boot camp suck a bit more, but hasn't effected me otherwise. Whether you are good at it or not you will still learn the same lessons from doing it for 36 hours a day 8 days a week for 3 months.

Mike

If you are a clutz, drill will not be your cup of tea.

In the initial stages of bootcamp you drill all the time and whenever the formation makes a column left or right there will be Drill Instructors on both sides of the pivot point to make sure the recruits aren't messing it up. Don't worry too much about it, and if still interested talk to your recruiter or take a look at the drill manual (MCO P5060.20).

Credits
    Savings
    Wassamatta Young'un , Aintcha got no Rythm ????

Oh, you'll learn. One way OR Another..
    EVEN if you dont know the difference between your left and right,
    figrure IF you dont pay attention , you have a 50% chance of being
    correct.

Thread Information