"how do I get back in" Sgt and below - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    I got out of active duty in june 07 with re 1. after that I went to the VA and got disabilities (30% PTSD and 10% tinnitis). Is there a way to surrender those disabilities and compensation payments and get back in. I'm actually looking at any branch that will take me just to increase my chances of serving again. What do you think?

if you wait until Jan (you can start the process now but it won't get submitted past the RS level until jan 2010) and try to get back in the Marine Corps.

you just need to explain what your disability is (as long as nothing is over 30% you're good to serve with it) and you're set. The VA will not require you to pay that money back, but you can't collet that and government money at the same time so you need to "suspend" your benefits until you are off contract again.

keep asking questions as they pop up as I am finishing this same process right now.

So it's okay if it's 40% combined. How do I get by MEPs with that though, wouldn't I still have to process through them since I've been out for a little?

yeah, I have 70% combined. you need to have it on your reenlistment package anyways so they'll see it when they sit down with you and they'll ask you some questions... nothing to keep you from serving otherwise your RE code would be different. I was told that that's really important.

Now, what if I am interested in going into another branch anyways? Is the process harder?

no, it's the same... but if you got IRR time you need to get a DD-368 from MOBCOM, but it needs to be submitted by your new recruiter.

you'd need one if you wanted back into the Corps anyways, but a DD-368 is a conditional release, MOBCOM will give this to anyone who asks... you won't be denied.

if you choose to go that route then there isn't any more we can help you with in this thread. I just gave you everything you need to know to start their process.

let us know if that's your decision.

How do I get back into the "Ask a Marine" forums?

ask for forgiveness.... Humility can do people wonders.

prior service options

Here is my deal, I'm 39 now and have did 4 years from 1991-1995. A few months prior to my eas I was having a knee problem that needed to be looked at. I did my full term and was not medically discharged but was assessed a 10% disability and about $7000 severance pay when I got out.
    I would like to return to active duty, I have no issues at all with my knee and never applied for 10% VA disability payment that I was entitled to back in 1995. I'm very near to completing a 1st class PFT so I don't thin that would be a problem. I have been talking with a Army recruiter for a couple months now and he says I have to do is get my local doctor to give me a physical and write a letter stating I'm fit for duty. From there I would have to contact the VA and let them know I don't need to be listed as having a 10% disability.

Would the procedure be similar if I was to try to get back into the Marines?
    Will my age waiver make this a pipe dream. Regardless, I still want to serve either in the Army or Marines but would certainly prefer the Marines again.

DOES ANYONE KNOW ID THERE IS A PRIOR SERVICE RECRUITER IN MY AREA (MAINE)

Semper Fi
    Tim Booth
    CPL USMC

Quote Originally Posted by tbooth2531 View Post
    DOES ANYONE KNOW ID THERE IS A PRIOR SERVICE RECRUITER IN MY AREA (MAINE)

Semper Fi
    Tim Booth
    CPL USMC
    Call a recruiter in your area and ask for the PSR contact number.
    Good luck in your adventures, right now they are pretty darn full. You might have better luck with the Marine Reserves or unfortunately ARMY. Your going to need a Break in Service Waiver and possibly an Age waiver, Take your AD years and subtract that from your current age that will give you your (?) age. 28 is cut off for AD and 29 is cut off for Reserve(Marines). Good Luck!

PS let us know what you find out so Others know what they need to do in the Future.

Question back in....maybe?

I was just wondering if I could re-enlist with and entry level separation during SOI and an RE-3P code back in '95. Erroneous Enlistment was listed as the Narrative Reason for Separation.. The clicker is I'm 33, would an age waiver be moot?

Quote Originally Posted by SSgt Petzold View Post
    It's because they know Sgts and below are being put on hold while the Corps is so overfull.

I'd suggest maybe going for O-1... they are still in high demand and I think as long as you are willing to go through a boot camp'esque environment again you will suceed.

it's probably your fastest route back in, and the money will be MUCH higher since you already got 4 years in...
    Good scoop, SSgt.

What's the age limit?

Quote Originally Posted by mjw2876 View Post
    RE-3P code Erroneous Enlistment
    How did you get that?

Quote Originally Posted by Alisium View Post
    Good scoop, SSgt.

What's the age limit?

reconstructed age of 35 for Prior Service. but I think that requires a waiver.

I picked that info up from one of the OCS bubbas in another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by samthomas View Post
    How did you get that?
    I had a foot problem b4 enlisting, had it waived, never bothered me till weeks into SOI, after sitting around waiting for SOI to actually begin, (got there Jan 1st, company didnt start training till around the 14th) Really have no idea what it means to this day.

Thread Information