I can't do pull/chin-ups
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I can't do pull/chin-ups

Ok, so I have been in the DEP since August and since then my 1 1/2 run time has gone from 18:30 to 11:50, my crunches (in 2 minutes) have gone from 23 to 68, but the amount of chin-ups I do has gone from ZERO to ZERO. I have even lost 15 pounds even though I wasn't overweight. I have been going the weekends to the gym, I do push-ups everyday. I don't get it, I see people way more out of shape than me doing 10+ pull-ups.

What happens if come my ship date (July, 2012) to PI and I can't do chin-ups? Will they give me a discharge? Please help me!

If you can't pass the IST you will not ship, discharge would be likely. Are you doing them palms in or palms out? Try out, that uses your back muscles and gives a bit of slack to your biceps.

You should use an piece of surgical tubing or something as an assist, the pull up bars at your local gym should have some elastic bands. The only way to get better is by doing them. To supplement with weights, do bicep curls or single arm rows from a bench. If you don't have access to those, get someone to spot you at your RSS. No one is going to care that you can't do pull ups, in my experience everyone is there improve and the poolees are going to be more than willing to help even the weakest.

Your recruiter may push your ship date back until you're able to pass an IST. But you're only allowed to be in the DEP for up to a year.

You've got enough time to do at least 5 pullups if your ship date is in 2012 07.

The key to being able to do pullups is to keep practicing. Get an iron gym pullup bar, put it over your door, and use it everyday.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Or go away,,,,,, your choice.

I remember way back when I couldn't do any. First off forget about the push ups. Start with palms in and do negatives. looks up the exercise "Barbell Pullover".

When I trained I was lucky enough to have a unique situation which helped me greatly. You kow those little latters on the side of buildings that go to the roof? Well I had one I would go to and do pull ups on but i would use my feet to push off the wall and inch up slowly, helped a lot, went from 0 to 10 in like three weeks, it'll be easy getting started.

try doing palms in pull ups they tend to help out a lot better than palms out for me even,

If you just hang from the bar and try to pull yourself up you'll be working your body or do

jump pull ups where your first pull up is a jump to get your chin to the bar and then go

down half way and the back up even by doing half pull ups you can work your way to do dead hangs pull ups

hey! I had likely the same situation like you.... I couldn't do a pull-up. I just bought a pull up bar and started to do 50 pull ups every single day for four weeks and get a rest of 4 days till I was done with those weeks...... At that moment I could do 6 pull ups, then I started to do 75 pull ups every day and now I'm doing 9 and I'm in my 2nd week of the 75 pull ups scale. DO MAX SET. Do push ups in the morning and in the night. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Or go away,,,,,, your choice.
    NAH, I ain't going nowhere old timer, because I can now do 4 pull-ups, just 1 away from passing my requirement.

Just curious, whats your training schedule??

I started with being able 1 in August, since then I go to the gym 4-6 times a week. Usually do a max set tendon multiple sets on the assist machine. For weights, I do curls row, lat pulldown, and triceps. I was up to 12. Then I had to redo my form since my elbows were not locking when going all the way down. After a few weeks of redoing my form, I was back up to 9 and I just contracted 20111207 with a ship date of 20120117.

Just keep pushing.

Quote Originally Posted by sebastiancgn View Post
    NAH, I ain't going nowhere old timer, because I can now do 4 pull-ups, just 1 away from passing my requirement.
    You, a poolee in the DEP.....calling sparkie, a United States Marine Veteran, who's gone through hell and back...an old timer, I don't think so.
    When and if you make it thought Marine Corps boot camp and EARN the title United States Marine, then you can call Veteran Marine sparkie and old timer. Until then, I do believe you owe Veteran Marine sparkie an apology.
    And no excuses.........

Poolee, you just dug us all a ****hole that's impossible to get out...

M'am, permission to push?

Work Smarter, Not Harder!

Quote Originally Posted by OVonRomer View Post
    Poolee, you just dug us all a ****hole that's impossible to get out...

M'am, permission to push?
    Sebastiancgn dug himself a craphole, not you or any other poolee.
    Personally, I don't care if sebastiancgn was joking or not about calling Marine Veteran sparkie an old timer....it was uncalled for and being very disrespectful.

Where I'm from saying "old-timer" it's probably the best way to call someone of age, didn't mean to disrespect any one, although I still think being called old-timer it's not an insult, it's not like I said something about his career, I know very well I'm just a worthless poolee.

I don't know how to delete comments, so I'll leave it there.

Thread Information