Someone used my sons name and got a ticket
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Someone used my sons name and got a ticket

My son is active, stationed in California, and hasnt been home in several months. His permanent address is still our home address. Today in the mail, he got a notice to appear in court for a traffic violation received on 3/15 on a local street.

I contacted him to let him know, he investigated and found out one of his friends got pulled over for speeding and told the cop he didn't have his license on him, and proceeded to tell him his name was___________ my sons name. He got a ticket for failure to display state drivers license and speeding. Are you serious!? I flipped ****, called the kid and asked him what the hell ..... I know him very well, he's a general F-up in my opinion. Well he said he will take care of the fine, etc and my son, the Marine doesn't want to get him in trouble, and he doesn't think there will be a problem.

Aside from the fact that this kid is stupid enough to walk into a courthouse masquerading as someone else, is there any danger that my son could suffer reprecussions from this? I guess I'm curious about what would happen if a paid ticket shows up on his record for a date that he was supposed to be on base....? Or if the kid gets caught, could he say that my son was implicit in the matter, I.e. knowing and not taking care of appropriately?

Please don't be too hard on me, I'm just a worried Momma! Thanks for any advice you can give me. My son has only been in the fleet since December last year. If he knew I posted this here, he would be fuming mad at me! He is infantry with planned deployment later this year.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    If I were you I would contact the Clerk of Court and explain the situation to them.

Being that your son can prove where he was there shouldn't be a problem...

Personally I feel like this is stolen idenity and this young man should be punished.

I would also get a letter from the court clearing your son of any wrong doing.

Try to PM these Marines they are in the legal field and ex law enforcement for maybe some more information.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...?30766-Zulu-36

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...?85610-MOS4429

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...43579-USMC1963

Good luck!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I know this isn't much solace, but the police and courts see these kinds of shenanigans all of the time. So they should have some procedure in place.

Often it's a relative doing the dirty deed. I handled one where an evil identical twin (literally) was using the name of her law abiding twin. Luckily the evil twin was arrested and we had her prints on file so clearing the good twin was fairly simple (except, as twins, their prints were so close we had to have three or four print techs do the comparisons to make certain). Getting the ticket amended into the evil twin's name was the easy part (it was a drunk driving, refusal to take a breath test). Getting the good twin's suspended driver's license unsuspended was the tough part, but we got it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    If I were you I would contact the Clerk of Court and explain the situation to them.

Being that your son can prove where he was there shouldn't be a problem...

Personally I feel like this is stolen idenity and this young man should be punished.

I would also get a letter from the court clearing your son of any wrong doing.

Try to PM these Marines they are in the legal field and ex law enforcement for maybe some more information.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...?30766-Zulu-36

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...?85610-MOS4429

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/me...43579-USMC1963

Good luck!
    Not much happens when your identity is stolen,Semper Fidelis.

Marine Family Free Member Marinemom32's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Wow some friend. Good luck with all of this, and you defnitely want to get this taken out of your son's name. Don't leave this up the "friend" to take care of the fine, what if he doesn't? Then there is a warrant out for your son, or he gets his liscense suspended for not paying the fine. I totally agree, you need to get this ticket out of your son's name....the "friend" will probably face further charges as well, but that's not yor problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Marinemom32 View Post
    Wow some friend. Good luck with all of this, and you defnitely want to get this taken out of your son's name. Don't leave this up the "friend" to take care of the fine, what if he doesn't? Then there is a warrant out for your son, or he gets his liscense suspended for not paying the fine. I totally agree, you need to get this ticket out of your son's name....the "friend" will probably face further charges as well, but that's not yor problem.
    I've had my identity stolen, not much happens, poor system,Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by tommielynn View Post
    My son is active, stationed in California, and hasnt been home in several months.

He got a ticket for failure to display state drivers license and speeding.

My son, the Marine doesn't want to get him in trouble, and he doesn't think there will be a problem.

Aside from the fact that this kid is stupid enough to walk into a courthouse masquerading as someone else, is there any danger that my son could suffer reprecussions from this?
    USMC1963 gave you the best legal advice, and he is the one most qualified to do so.

The only thing I wanted to add in addition is the aspect of your son not wanting to get this "friend" in trouble.

Your son needs to view this from a different perspective. This "friend" had no problem at all giving out your son's name, he could care less about getting HIM in trouble, your son's Marine career doesn't matter to this person.

What is more, because the ticket was issued in your son's name, the "friend" would not receive notice of the court appearance, not show up and your son would have a warrant out for his arrest.

And if you pay fine, the tickets go on your son's record, he gets the points, his insurance goes up, etc.

So as USMC1963 said, the only way to resolve this is for you to go with this kid into court, for him to be a REAL friend and fess up to his deed, get your son's name off the tickets, and for this kid to take responsibility for his actions.

Then...I think your son would do well to let this "friendship" go by the wayside.

Credits
    Savings
    Wow !
    Identity theft ?
    Fraud ?

The list goes on ,and somewhere in there I heard "friend"

You already got solid advice from the proper people

Ensure you follow through

Not certain what State you are in but where I come from your son's frend has done your son a very big wrong that can cuase problems for him down the road. Do not allow it to go any further go to the Police and the Court, or even better to the City Attorney or County Attorney. Like the otherss have said DO NOT let this go.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by hbharrison View Post
    Not certain what State you are in but where I come from your son's frend has done your son a very big wrong that can cuase problems for him down the road. Do not allow it to go any further go to the Police and the Court, or even better to the City Attorney or County Attorney. Like the otherss have said DO NOT let this go.
    lots of folks in here are/were/ law enforcement officers. NOT to slight our Site Attorney USMC 1963..

IF i had to make a trip to get the best action i could out of this ....Aside from contacting the "Cleark of Courts" . I'd make sure i also found the Prossicuter's office
    and give them a heads up....

Not all areas that may not be possible...but worth the extra effort

All good advice. Make sure the so called 'friend' does in fact do what he needs to do. I'd personally contact the court and find out the exact court date, so YOU can be there yourself.

Honestly, I'd take this OUT of your son's hands, unless he wants to come back and beat the crap out of the no longer 'friend'. That would be MY response.

I would contact the police department that issued the ticket immediately. You need to handle it before it gets to court. If you explain it exactly like you just did, they should be able to void the original ticket, reissue the ticket to the correct person, and probably pinch the kid for criminal impersonation. Maybe if the kid goes to the police station himself and mans up, the cop would just reissue the ticket. My guess is he gave the wrong name for a reason, suspended license or maybe an outstanding warrant. Do not trust this to kid to show up in court, besides now that you and your son know he did this, it’s just wrong to condone it. This will not end well if you let a kid like this handle it!

Credits
    Savings
    I think a court date is always issued when you receive a ticket, but if it is resolved before the court date, you don't have to go to court. At least when I got a speeding ticket, that's what the officer told me. Maybe they can just "amend" the ticket take out of the son's name, and but it in the "friends" name? Maybe mom and "friend" can contact the officer that wrote the ticket? I don't know....I just hope they get it taken care of soon

In Connecticut we issued the court dates when we wrote the infraction or misdemeanor summons. Tickets get written and then we backup the tickets with a narrative. Then they get processed and transmitted to the appropriate court. Regardless how it works in your state I think you should contact the police department and make a complaint. The police officer should want to make it right. He wrote the ticket in error, and should be more than happy to make it right. Most cops don’t like being lied to. You’ve done most the work for him.

Credits
    Savings
    That's what I meant, at the time you get the ticket you know when your court date is, that is how it is in KY, and in Jacksonville NC...which is where I got my ticket visiting my son at ITB...and I wasn't going back for court..so just paid the ticket

Thread Information