Reserve to active
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Reserve to active

I am a E-3 looking to transfer to active from reserve. Ill take any help

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Not going to happen. If you want to go active duty then you should have signed an active duty contract.

I have been through the process of trying to switch to active duty twice now and both times got shot down by the active duty side. With the Corps downsizing and also having budget issues, it's easy to say the chances of this happening are at about ZERO. Your best bet at anything would be to get on a deployment or get an AR(active reserve) package going. Keep in mind though if you don't have at least 2 years time in service/at your unit or aren't an NCO you probably won't be accepted for an AR billet.

the best thing i can tell you is do like i did and go to your reserve station and talk to the 1) career planer and or ( to anyone in the Admin they are regular Marines there and they can tell you what you need to do and if there are any openings for the switch.

If you want to go active your best shot is to do the Active Reserve. It has all the perks of being active duty the only thing is you will be stationed away from a Active duty base. In order to go to the Active Reserve side you have to fill out a package.

How Do i get the AR packege started? Will i stay at my unit or will i be sent somewhere? Also im looking into a change of my mos.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Go to the prior service recruiter(probably a GySgt.) at your unit/HTC and they will have a list of all available AR billets available. More than likely you'll go to another unit somewhere and work at with the I&I staff. You really don't get a choice of what you want to do or where you want to go. You submit the package, it either gets approved or doesn't, and then you'll get put in where you fit in.

Like I stated before though...stand by for that PSR to either laugh in your face or your packaged to get denied. If you don't have enough time in service/time at your unit they may not allow you to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    Go to the prior service recruiter(probably a GySgt.) at your unit/HTC and they will have a list of all available AR billets available. More than likely you'll go to another unit somewhere and work at with the I&I staff. You really don't get a choice of what you want to do or where you want to go. You submit the package, it either gets approved or doesn't, and then you'll get put in where you fit in.

Like I stated before though...stand by for that PSR to either laugh in your face or your packaged to get denied. If you don't have enough time in service/time at your unit they may not allow you to do it.
    Everything stated above is accurate. Although I have never is seen a PSR laugh at Marine's face for trying to go AR. I have reserve buddies who have been approved for the AR and were able to switch their MOS. If you don't have enough time in service all you have to do is extend. Your PSR will give you everything you need to begin the process.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Admindude View Post
    Everything stated above is accurate. Although I have never is seen a PSR laugh at Marine's face for trying to go AR. I have reserve buddies who have been approved for the AR and were able to switch their MOS. If you don't have enough time in service all you have to do is extend. Your PSR will give you everything you need to begin the process.
    They don't literally laugh in your face, but I have seen a PSR straight up tell a few new boot LCpls. that they don't have a chance at getting an AR billet based on the fact that they only had like 2 years TIS and hadn't fulfilled enough of their obligated time at the unit.

I just talked to a PSR today and got the word that a reservist can submitt a AR package at anytime. The hard part is finding a open MOS to fill. If the MOS of your choice is not available the PSR will try to find a spot for you.

Thanks for the help I talked to a PSR and he was excited to get my package started

What is an E-3 or do you mean L/Cpl?

Active reserve

Hi does anyone know how long it takes to really leave once you put in a active reserve package??

Guest Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Click the first link below your post and it's all right there for you.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky C View Post
    Click the first link below your post and it's all right there for you.
    I posted in that thread and that was about going from reserves to active duty, not active reserves. there is a difference.

to answer your question OP, the time frame for your package to go through depends on the AR billet, how bad they need someone in that billet, how quickly your PSR completes it and pushes it up, and how motivated you are to do it. A few friends of mine just completed went on AR, it took them about 3 weeks to complete the package and then another couple of weeks to get approved. I would say somewhere around a month or two.

Are you switching from Active to Active Reserve? If so you will not only have to wait till your package gets approved you would also have to wait until after your EAS date. It would only take a month or two until you get your orders but depending on when your EAS is you could be be waiting a couple of months on top of that.

Thread Information