rifleman vs. machine gunner
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

rifleman vs. machine gunner

I was looking through a lot of MOS's trying to figure out what would be good for me, and I am starting to narrow my choices. I am not saying for sure I am going to be one of these two, but I was wondering what are some of the common/differences between a rifleman and a machine gunner, and what are the advantages and disadvantages to both? Oh, and I was reading that a basic rifleman can sometimes deploy with the SAW; how can these be if you are not a machine gunner? Thank you Marines for any information that you can provide me with.

We used to make non-quals machine gunners since they could not hit the target.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    We used to make non-quals machine gunners since they could not hit the target.
    So you are saying that the ones who couldn't shoot carried the m-60? Or are you saying they became actual machine gunners?

Young man, I am talking about the .30 Cal. Light Machine Gun & the .50 Cal. Machine Gun. The only SAW I ever laid eyes on when I was in was used for cutting trees and wood. Did see a few Grease Guns and Thompson Sub Machine Guns in Korea.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Young man, I am talking about the .30 Cal. Light Machine Gun & the .50 Cal. Machine Gun. The only SAW I ever laid eyes on when I was in was used for cutting trees and wood. Did see a few Grease Guns and Thompson Sub Machine Guns in Korea.
    I'm sorry for my ignorance Sir, I realized after posting that the SAW was not even invented when you were in, and so I edited my question. Thank you for clarifying, Sir.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bornagain View Post
    I'm sorry for my ignorance Sir, I realized after posting that the SAW was not even invented when you were in, and so I edited my question. Thank you for clarifying, Sir.
    Don't let Old Marine fool you. One of the drill commands when he went through boot camp was "Ground your muskets!"

Unless you are going reserve, you won't have much choice whether you are a rifleman or machine gunner. First you have to get an infantry contract and those are tough to get.

The SAW is phasing out and a new automatic rifle is coming in. It's magazine fed and the basic load for the AR man will be 22 30-round magazines. So you save 10-lbs weight on the gun, but make it back up in the ammo load. Grunts will still be trained on the SAW as some will still be available to use at the company commander's discretion.

Why is it so hard to get an infantry contract. Isn't it what the Corps wants most of?

Anyways, a rifleman mos will only take someone from private to sgt, so what do you do to advance afterwards, switch your mos?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Why is it so hard to get an infantry contract. Isn't it what the Corps wants most of?

Everybody and their brother wants to be a grunt.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Anyways, a rifleman mos will only take someone from private to sgt, so what do you do to advance afterwards, switch your mos?
    No, you can stay in infantry. Once promoted to SSgt, your MOS changes to 0369 and a normal billet would be platoon sergeant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    No, you can stay in infantry. Once promoted to SSgt, your MOS changes to 0369 and a normal billet would be platoon sergeant.
    Man, you are really helpful, thank you. Okay, one last question. How does selection to staff sgt work? Do they just pick you out and THEN you go through training to become a 0369, or are you just automatically in that MOS? Please bear with me, you are being very helpful Marine!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Man, you are really helpful, thank you. Okay, one last question. How does selection to staff sgt work? Do they just pick you out and THEN you go through training to become a 0369, or are you just automatically in that MOS? Please bear with me, you are being very helpful Marine!

This is getting waaaay ahead of things. You're talking about six to eight years in the Corps before this comes up.

But selection is done by a promotion board at HQ Marine Corps. They view your service record, a photo you have to have taken of yourself, your fitness reports as a Sergeant, your personal awards, PFT scores, rifle qual scores, combat service, etc. Your time in grade as a Sergeant and time in service are calculated in (you have to meet a minimum time in grade and time in service to even be considered by the board). Basically they take an overall look at you and your career and compare it to other SSgt candidates in your MOS.

You are then rated by number and placed on a promotion list. I don't know if the Corps has changed the under-zone, promotion zone, and over-zone categories or not. But don't really worry about that until you are a Sergeant. But after promotion there is an advanced leadership school you are sent to. You should attend similar schools as a Corporal and a Sergeant.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Don't let Old Marine fool you. One of the drill commands when he went through boot camp was "Ground your muskets!"

Unless you are going reserve, you won't have much choice whether you are a rifleman or machine gunner. First you have to get an infantry contract and those are tough to get.

The SAW is phasing out and a new automatic rifle is coming in. It's magazine fed and the basic load for the AR man will be 22 30-round magazines. So you save 10-lbs weight on the gun, but make it back up in the ammo load. Grunts will still be trained on the SAW as some will still be available to use at the company commander's discretion.
    The command was Stack Arms and we just put our muskets in one big pile.

so it sounds like you have to be pretty good for the promotion. Well, thank you Marines for all of your input, it was pretty helpful.

Anybody that has any of these mos as either a rifleman or a machine gunner feel free to keep this thread going!

Thread Information